Sign in to follow this  
MrGibbyGibson

PC Upgrades :>

Hi,

I'm looking to do a couple PC Upgrades before i58 (end of august). Needing to upgrade from a 750 Ti but the case and board isn't the best, so they're needing an upgrade anyways.

Current PC Parts: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/ngK9JV - Cant tell if CPU cooler is correct / the type of CPU Cooler is attached. Not sure on RAM producer but it is DDR3-1600, 2x8GB sticks. Not sure on PSU make either, but is 500W.

Looking for a new case. the 970 I got is causing the case to heat up, which isn't right in the slightest, and the PC requires some more cooling from it. I'm also looking for a new board too as the USBs tend to cut out for 5 seconds every so often, plus I'd like to get a 970 / 1070 SLI going.

Currently looking for the following bits: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Kcm8Yr (Marked the bits that I already have)

- Decided to get a new PSU and up the wattage incase i decide to purchase a 1070, sell the 970 and purchase a 2nd for a SLI. However, I'll stick with the single 970 for a short while and decide what I do at the end of August (pay day :>) - Guessing that wouldn't be an issue?
- The new board (MSI Z97-Gaming 5) has 3 slots for graphics cards. The top 2 are best for SLIs and whatnot else. I've not really researched much into this but would it be possible to have the top 2 slots on a 970 / 1070 SLI and have the bottom slot running an AMD graphics card? (no idea if possible, probably not possible). I know it wouldn't be "as quick" as the top 2 which is fine.
- The MSI Z97-Gaming 5 is the borderline board i'm looking for, but ive seen the MSI Z97-Gaming 7 with more USB 3.0s. If anyone can suggest a board with 3 graphics slots and works for what I'm looking for above, then please suggest it to me. Looking for alot of USB slots, being a razer fan and all.

EDIT:

- Has anyone used a M.2 SSD before? I'm interested in getting a 128GB stick with an adapter to the board to fit one on and install my OS & CS on to it, then other important games / software on the SSD, then the rest on the HDD. This is this M.2 Card which (i hope) will fit in This adapter. Any recommendations for that to use for the OS over a SSD?

Looking forward for your suggestions :>

Edited by MrGibbyGibson

Why 970 SLI and not a single GTX 1070? 

SLI does not always scale well, and in some cases it is even worse. It also causes screen tearing and can cause more input lag.

Like vengeance said, a dedicated btc mine rig is better.

Scrapped the BTC mining idea. after calculating hash rates, not worth in the slightest.

Going to try a 970 SLI. If its not the best Im sure someone will trade up 2 used 970s to a 1070 with a bit of cash added ontop. Or sell them individually and then add cash for the 1070.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fYXD2R - Might go for the 850w incase i go bored and buy a 3rd GPU for no reason. Not sure at this point however.

Please don't go for SLI. If u want to spend money, go for a gtx 1070 or 1080. No problems with microstutter, bad SLI support and more.

• I can confirm that the parts on that first list are all compatible
  • Crucial RAM is OK too. If you're doing a new build, best practice is to not mix RAM types/manufacturers. It isn't illegal, but just a recommendation.
  • I'd go for a standard SSD over M2, their performance is generally better for a lower cost. 
  • As for GPU, I'd hold off of SLI and go for a single 1080 card or 1070, which is what Nvidia seem to be aiming towards with every new card.

That's just what I think.

1 hour ago, Raw said:

Please don't go for SLI. If u want to spend money, go for a gtx 1070 or 1080. No problems with microstutter, bad SLI support and more.

Ill stick to a 970 SLI and see how it does. Want to trial it out really tbh along as upgrade too. Birthday is in september so can just push towards a 1070 if the SLI isnt going well for me.

1 hour ago, Mintlou said:
  • I can confirm that the parts on that first list are all compatible
  • Crucial RAM is OK too. If you're doing a new build, best practice is to not mix RAM types/manufacturers. It isn't illegal, but just a recommendation.
  • I'd go for a standard SSD over M2, their performance is generally better for a lower cost. 
  • As for GPU, I'd hold off of SLI and go for a single 1080 card or 1070, which is what Nvidia seem to be aiming towards with every new card.

That's just what I think.

Thanks for the points.

- RAM i don't really know the current manufacture. Speed is the same (1600mhz) so thats fine.
- Ive got space for a M.2 slot (which knocks out 2 of the 6GBPS SATA ports, but will only need 2 after). 
- Ill stick a 970 SLI for the time. I can upgrade to a single 1070 at any moment i guess and sell the 970s.

Went for a few changes in the end and decided to go for a single 1070 for the time being. May potentially go for a 1070 SLI in the future.

850W PSU incase that happens too and incase i go mental over a 3rd GPU.

RAM went up by ~£20 when ordering so went for the Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB Kit.

Waiting to see if i can get a cheeky discount from overclockers on the remaining bits :>

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCgD2R

46 minutes ago, MrGibbyGibson said:

Went for a few changes in the end and decided to go for a single 1070 for the time being. May potentially go for a 1070 SLI in the future.

850W PSU incase that happens too and incase i go mental over a 3rd GPU.

RAM went up by ~£20 when ordering so went for the Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB Kit.

Waiting to see if i can get a cheeky discount from overclockers on the remaining bits :>

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCgD2R

Just a heads up as far as im aware 1070 (1060 and 1080) dont support 3-way sli (something nvidia seems to be moving away from)

Just now, Ekitai_Hebi said:

Just a heads up as far as im aware 1070 (1060 and 1080) dont support 3-way sli (something nvidia seems to be moving away from)

Luckily the board doesn't really fit for a 3-way SLI but would just be looking for 2 anyways.

Thanks for the note though :)

Well, I got the parts and here it is!

Didn't take too many images but still looks dope.

Ignore the lighting at the top, need to re-attach them back to the case.

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

Still got the monitor to add to the left of the CS Screen one. As you can see on the net_graph, im hitting 1k FPS facing a wall.

Next plans is to get a soft RAID for my HDD and my SSD. Where possible. Along with a 2nd 1070 and will SLI it eventually.

After that, if my mind decides to do so, will upgrade the board, CPU and RAM to the newer intel sockets (DDR4 RAM & compatable i7's etc). But that won't be for a while to be certain. New HDD, SSD and 1070 will come first.

Ignore the rubbish on my desk >.>