Sign in to follow this  
Finnley

Im stuck with FTPs

So I am doing an assignment for school and I am stuck. Basically my last assignment was: build a website. I have done that, but now I have to actually host the website.

What I was told to do is run an Ubuntu server using a virtual machine. Done that.

Then install a FTP server on your computer and on the virtual machine. Got them both running.

Now what? By the way I am a rookie in programming, especially in website hosting etc. How do I get my HTML and CSS files running on the Ubuntu server and where does the FTP come in? I assume I have to use the FTP servers to get the files to my Ubuntu server, but I am not sure...

Can anyone help me make the next step?

I am assuming you have to use FTP to transfer your files into the server. You put your html and css files in a folder in that server and then you open the website html file from a web browser. Poke me if you see me on Teamspeak and I will help you with it. I have done it before although the server was already set up for us and all we did was connect to the server and put our website files in there.

Alright, thanks for the offer Gunstar, however I figured something out... I now know how to use Filezilla properly and I somehow got permission, but now my website looks like this: 

eecb80d9187c98f56dede9a4789f3e32.png

Please don't say I have to rename the home to index.html, because that would mean I have to edit every html file as they have a picture that sends them back to home.html

How do I set the default page?