Sign in to follow this  
lkgddr

Map Problems

I have recently been making a map, but I have a problem with the lighting. In a closed room, I have put various entities with a light. When I play in-game the textures work fine, but all except one of the entities are pitch black. The one entity which is lit is a coffee table, which is only slightly visible. Here are images.

af5700655a901cce7f0cf299b49c183d.jpg

This is a picture of the room in SDK. My light entity is placed roughly in the middle of the room.

8956d1364b2ea711ec569e49d3cf3b11.jpg

This is a picture of the room in-game. As mentioned earlier, the only entity to give off any light is the coffee table, which emits a dim, blue colour. Secondly, I also noticed that The computer and the computer monitor do not even appear on the table.

Can anyone help me with this?

Edited by Guest

Thank you Skeff.

However, I still have a few problems with my map. First of all, some of the props just don't appear. Here is an image.

16d17359535b689c4238b1ae8c78e395.jpg

The missing props are the coffee mug, the computer monitor and the computer itself.

The second problem is that I cannot choose a team to play on. Both sides are empty, but when I try to go on one of the teams, it says that both teams are full. I have a spawn point for both sides, but only one for each team.

Thank you Skeff.

However, I still have a few problems with my map. First of all, some of the props just don't appear. Here is an image.

16d17359535b689c4238b1ae8c78e395.jpg

The missing props are the coffee mug, the computer monitor and the computer itself.

The second problem is that I cannot choose a team to play on. Both sides are empty, but when I try to go on one of the teams, it says that both teams are full. I have a spawn point for both sides, but only one for each team.

For the missing props: Make sure that you're using the correct prop type. I believe that all the props you mentioned are prop_dynamic and not prop_static so that could be the problem. It should say it in your console when you're compiling the map in yellow / red writing.

Not sure about the spawn points :/

Problem 1.

Like Twiixtor said, Make sure you are using the correct model type. So a physics model needs to be a prop_physics, dynamic models need to be prop_dynamic, etc.

However I have personally run across a few models which struggle with this and I can never get into the map, for example a coffee mug.

Problem 2.

Move your player spawns up from the ground by at least 1 inch, this should give players space to spawn. Players will not spawn directly on the ground.

I set all of my props to prop_static, but I eventually found out that the monitor, computer, mug and mouse were supposed to be set as prop_physics_multiplayer. To be honest I don't understand why they only work on physics_multiplayer. The second problem was fixed.

Thank you both, but more errors seem to be appearing and I don't know why.

For some reason, the decal for the grate no longer appears in-game. The second error is more of a problem and that is I can't get my television to stay on the wall. It has to be set as prop_physics or prop_physics multiplayer, but either way the TV will just fall on the floor. Is there a way to just let it stay in the air?

Considering that I'm finding a lot of problems, I'll see if I can change the thread title.

Decals can be a big tricky, check they're actually on the wall and the wall is a simple brush.

With physics props there are a few check boxes to help stop them moving. Start asleep will freeze the prop until something interacts with it and Motion disabled will obviously disable any motion.

The decals are definitely on the wall. However, I just re-added them and are now working fine.

Another problem. I want to add a dead body of a person to the map. I am using a hostage model and have added prop_ragdoll, but because of the way the hostage is positioned, the way the ragdoll ends up looking unnatural. Is there a way to move the joints so that it ends up looking better?

On my map I want to have a projector similar to the one on office. I am using env_projectedtexture and everything is working fine. However, the texture projected is in a circle. I know that altering the FOV will make it bigger or smaller, but is there a way to make the projection so that the entire texture is projected, or so that the projection is a rectangle?

I've never used those however looking at the wiki page for env_projectedtexture I think changing the FOV will help you. I suggest playing about with all the different options you get with it and check the office map file.

Thank you for the help! :glad2:

Unfortunately, when I access the cs_office.vmf file I cannot look at individual entities. It all comes up as one massive block, meaning that I cant delete any obstructing objects without deleting everything else. It'd be nice to have the projector to work just like the current one on office, but for the moment I'm just using another texture.