Sign in to follow this  
Raw

Starting on making maps

Hello guys,

I was looking to start learning how to map. Do any of you guys have good guides to start mapping? Good software to start mapping?

Tell me your experiences on mapping, have you ever tried it, or do you want to learn it?

http://outbreak-community.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7407

And check out 3kliksphilip on youtube he has some tutorials for people that want to learn how to make maps

Topic is just a few months old, but not much info in it

Maybe ppl have certain experience they want to share here

I've been thinking about giving it another go myself. When I see some of the maps on OB today, i usually find myself thinking about how lazy these mappers have been, and how much better these maps would have looked if they had just taken the time to put some details right.

I've spent so many hours in hammer in the past, but nothing to show for it. It's a really tedious process.

I'd suggest you start out simple. Make a hollow cube using the 'Skybox' texture, make a platform inside it and place a spawn point.

Make some cubes and play with their textures.

Then learn to connect buttons to doors. Learn how buttons and doors can move when activated.

After that you should be well on your way.

I wouldn't dabble into lighting just yet, those things take a bit of fiddling with.

I'm assuming you already know which program to use. Mapping can be a very fun thing to do if you're feeling creative.

I started making a jailbreak map quite a long time ago and it all went well but then all of a sudden I just lost my mapping passion and abandoned it. I'm sure I'll go back to the map but when? I have no clue.

Here's what I made out of it so far:

4qAG33p.jpg

HERE you can find all the shortcuts used to control the program itself for easier and more efficient use. I studied that page quite a lot and had it open while mapping to see if there was a shortcut for something I was trying to do in order to make that task quicker.

Along the way I found

guy on YouTube who helped me quite a bit at the start of mapping. I stopped watching his video tutorials as I found out about a pgoram (DOWNLOAD) that can take the current jailbreak maps you have and convert them into the Hammer program type file so you can edit the map yourself and check exactly how everything was done. That was the main way I was teaching myself how to map for the rest of my journey.

If I really couldn't find the solution for a problem or try and do something original I would ask Skeff or Popey's mapping friend for help and tips. Both of them are really friendly guys. I'm not sure if Skeff does non-jailbreak maps but Popey's friend sure does and they look quite beautiful. When I first spoke to him I honestly thought they were brothers as they are both soo nice and helpful so yeah.

Hope I helped and GL HF :D

I've always wanted to do a map based on a PS1 game.

She already has an obstacle course and a dungeon (Sort of, underground treasure room)

I'd started recreating Lara Croft's mansion with some Jailbreak aspects but I found it so hard to make it look authentic. Not to mention getting the textures to sit how I wanted them.

I've always wanted to do a map based on a PS1 game.

She already has an obstacle course and a dungeon (Sort of, underground treasure room)

I'd started recreating Lara Croft's mansion with some Jailbreak aspects but I found it so hard to make it look authentic. Not to mention getting the textures to sit how I wanted them.

I remember Ali talking about doing this, in fact he was the main guy I talked to when I started mapping.

as for tutorials I listed a few in this thread although I've been meaning to come up with a proper list for a while.

Well i gave it a try, and yes, its seems not that hard to just build a map. The design would defenitly be the hard part. Also experimenting with cell doors and stuff, and figuring out how to make games.

Already build some cell area thingy, and just figuring out how to edit boxes and stuff. Doors will be my next step.