Sign in to follow this  
Doomblade94

Next-Gen Consoles

It's been several years since the PS3, XBOX 360, and Wii have come out. In the past year Nintendo has released the WiiU and 3DS. Just recently there have been Youtube ads announcing the PS4, and a lot of talk regarding the (infamous) XBOX One that is going to be released by Microsoft. The people at Euclideon have also developed a way for PC's to use "unlimited" resource in gaming by switching from polygonal models to individual atoms.

With the next generation of video games on the horizon, I wanted to see what your thoughts and predictions are.

That video caused a bit of a stir a while ago but I haven't heard anything since. I remember notch saying it was impossible and that anyone that believed it was an idiot etc. I think it sounds too good to be true and they've been too quiet too long for me to have any hope.

XBOX One: NO, not even if you are a fan.

PS4: No for me, not any games worth getting a ps4 for ( and afaik it's not that much better than ps3 ).

WiiU: atm not a lot of interesting games out yet, but those are coming so will get this at some point.

As for handhelds, 3DS is amazing and PSVita is the biggest waste of money there is.

Also, Oculus Rift pls.

I've heard it before, sounds so good and is so nice

This was debunked thoroughly when it first came out, and when it resurfaced.

Essentially, this is only possible with EXTREMELY repetitive data. For example, in that video you can see only 3-4 different objects actually being created. As soon as you try to use more than a few textures / structures, performance will be unusable.

Because of this, no games use that style of creating landscapes; it's simply not possible. Maybe for generating 2-3 models, it'd be great, but why reinvent the wheel (textures over wireframes) for minor performance increases?

Also, as with the current generation, the new consoles will roughly equal a mid-high end PC on release. Within a few years, the development studios will be pushing at the console's limits, and optimising to improve graphics. A benefit of this is that since we move past the "current" generation (actually ~8 years old), the consoles approach the powerhouses that PCs are, and games will tend to be better optimised (i.e understanding that more than a few hundred mb of RAM will be available).

PC is, was, and forever will be, the master race.

Here is the reason it is called an xbox 360

you take one look at it, turn 360 degrees and walk away

Here is the reason it is called an xbox one

you take one look at it, turn 360 degrees and walk away

that was a joke my friend told me after the xbox one announcement