Sign in to follow this  
Tiny

Gaming Monitors

So what with christmas coming up, i've decided to buy myself a wittle treat and upgrade my monitor.

(I'm running a 1650 x blah monitor atm)

What monitors do you all use/recommend? I've ordered one today alongside a DVI to HDMI.;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002 ... 01_s00_i00

Acer 24-inch Full HD 1080p Widescreen LED Monitor (2ms,12000000:1, HDMI)

Watcha think?

I've heard response time and refresh rate is important, especially when it comes to FPS (which is the genre i play most).

Hertz is also important, standard monitors have max 60 fps. I've been told that if you get I think it's 120 hertz you get 120 fps (or was it 240 hertz?). They say it improves the gaming quality, I don't really care for reaction time and contrast stuff it's almost the same in each screen.

Just think about it 2ms or 5ms you got a difference of 3ms, as if that's going to make a difference when you got a ping of 30 it's only 10% and it's still close to nothing.

Hertz is also important, standard monitors have max 60 fps. I've been told that if you get I think it's 120 hertz you get 120 fps (or was it 240 hertz?). They say it improves the gaming quality, I don't really care for reaction time and contrast stuff it's almost the same in each screen.

Just think about it 2ms or 5ms you got a difference of 3ms, as if that's going to make a difference when you got a ping of 30 it's only 10% and it's still close to nothing.

Almost all have a 60hz refresh rate, unless you have freakishly powerful eyes, you won't be able to see the difference. This is similar to those £250 "Monster" cables. Bigger numbers aren't always worth it.

Anyway. Just buy from a brand you trust, in the resolution you want. Look at the reviews on Amazon first.

This is my primary monitor. It's from Samsung, who I have a few products from, has great stats, and is fairly cheap. I bought it when it was on sale for £110 including shipping. You'll also need to buy an HDMI cable if you don't have one, to connect to your graphics card.

I paid particular attention to the reviews. They're almost all 5*, the ones that aren't are generally people being stupid (e.g "It doesn't tilt!" when it does, complaining about random other stuff, etc).

So, yeah. In order of important (in my opinion), here's what to look for:

• Resolution. You want 1920x1080. It's the golden resolution.

• Screen Size. This is up to you, but think carefully about how big a monitor you want. Mine is 24", pretty much the smallest 1080p you can get, as I don't want a crazily big screen, and it's cheaper.

• Reviews. Read these carefully, it'll let you know if there's any problems at all.

• Manufacturer. You can probably get the same monitor half the price from a random company, but it's a risk. I'd stick to the major brands (Acer, Asus, Dell, LG, Samsung).

• Other. Stuff like guarantee, delivery time, etc are important, but don't matter as much.

I currently have one that is 23.6", 1920 x 1080. It has 60Hz, but when I buy a new screen than it will be a 120Hz.

I got this one: 2333HD

http://www.hdtvnieuws.nl/hdtv/samsung-933hd-2333hd-20081118/

it also has a TV-tuner :D So I can watch channels on television on my pc. :P

But I would really like this one:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1262186146

Also: they are planning to come up with a new model of this one which will have 200Hz & even a higher resolution!

(Now you perhaps think: Why does it need to have 200Hz, such a high resolution?

Well, I am a movie-lover :D, I watch 2movies every day, I would like to start with watching movies in 3D, with the nVidea stuff, but therefor you need a screen with AT LEAST 120Hz, which I don't have. Also, the higher the resolution the better imo....)

Almost all have a 60hz refresh rate, unless you have freakishly powerful eyes, you won't be able to see the difference.

Disagreed, you can test it out for yourself. Move your mouse in circles real fast, you'll see your mouse go in circles with "jumps" these jumps come from the fact that you've got max 60fps. Now if you got 120 it will look smoother, sure you won't notice it in general but with great movements (turning fast for example) there will be a difference. I've never seen it myself but if I'm going to upgrade from this screen I'll try out an 120hz just to see what the difference exactly is.

One last point - people think far too much about stuff like this, the refresh rate for example.

I have seen both 120Hz and 60Hz in action, I cannot see any difference in games such as First Person Shooters. Many people have it in their minds and imagine the difference, thinking they can see it if that makes sense.

That's my opinion, maybe I'm wrong but I can't personally see the difference. Tiny my advice would be don't bust your ass regretting you bought a monitor with 60Hz as opposed to 120Hz, you got a pretty nice monitor right there.