Sign in to follow this  
SonyTwan

Ballroom Dancing

Thought I'd talk a little bit about my gay little hobby for faggots.

Picked up Ballroom dancing just after my 22nd birthday as I had nothing to do at the time other than go to work, play games, and go to the gym.
Didn't know if I'd enjoy it, just tried it on a whim as there isn't a whole lot to do in my shitty miners town. Immediately enjoyed it, kept attending group lessons, eventually met my current dance partner (I was originally dancing with her mum) and we partnered up to do medal tests, and eventually began competing.

It's pretty good exercise, it's fun, you meet a lot of people, and you can be as serious or as casual with it as you want. Plus if you're a pervert you'll meet a lot of attractive girls. Most people pick it up just do a bit of social dancing, a lot of older couples shockingly enough, though there's plenty of young people involved in it competitively, many children half my age who are ten times as better than me. Most of the top level dancers started at a young age and stuck with it.

The ballroom dances include: Waltz, Quickstep, Tango, Foxtrot and Vienesse Waltz
Latin dances: Cha Cha, Jive, Rumba, Samba and Paso Doble. 
At beginner levels you typically only have a couple dances to do, normally Waltz Quickstep and Cha Jive.

Recently competed at the Winter Gardens in Blackpool, which is where some of the most prestigious competitions are held. No reason to go to Blackpool otherwise as it's an absolute shit hole but it's one of the homes of Ballroom dancing. The tower ballroom is very nice and would recommend checking it out if you're ever there. Winter Gardens was a bit shitty this year as the roof collapsed previously and there's scaffolding everywhere.

Video of our quickstep filmed by my girlfriend Carys (we also danced Waltz, Cha Cha and Jive):

There's plenty of essential things I need to work on. I was dropping my right arm somewhat and we didn't have much of a hip connection, nonetheless it's the best we've danced our Ballroom at competition. It's all well and good being able to do your routines at your home floor, but being on a massive one with hundreds watching is a bit stressful, so just need to keep competing and will get used to it. There's always so much to work on no matter what level you're at.

In contrast, here's a video of Kyle Taylor and Izabela Skierska who we had a workshop with today dancing a Foxtrot:

I will say the Latin dances are definitely more fun to watch, can post some if people want.

Expensive hobby, and takes a lot of practise if you want to get good at it, but it's a lot of fun and recommend everyone should give it a try. Certainly improved my confidence in many areas of life.