Sign in to follow this  
ShearsOG

scammers...

Doomblade3890's pr0TIPS

Tell-tale signs that wanker you're trading with is a scammer!

OK so since we're discussing scammers on STEAM, I think it's time we all had a little sit-down and discussed the tell-tale signs of a scammer.

The way these things always start out is someone sending you a friend request on STEAM. 99% of the time they're some completely random people you've never heard of before, which is the first red flag. The other 1% is that person you THOUGHT was your friend but ended up being a backstabber, in which case you should go find him and kick his ass.

I take this time to look on their STEAM profile at this time. If they have their profile set to PRIVATE and they are level 0, then that's a second red-flag. If they have leveled up some, have a few games, and have a public profile, then that adds some credibility that they're not just some bot.

So let's say you've added this guy/gal to your friends list. They send you a PM asking to trade. The third and final red-flag is if they send you a message like

Hey I want to trade with you but I can't trade over steam. Click on this link so we can trade!

There's no reason why they can't trade on STEAM, so it's official; they're a scammer. The link they will send you might look like it's steamcommunity.com, but it's really spelled differently, like for instance I received one that spelled it steamcommrunity. This is done for two reasons:

1. Their phishing site can't have the same domain name as STEAM does.
  2. They need to make it look similar so those of us who don't pay close attention will mistake it as the real STEAM site.

You will also notice that if you go to the link, it won't be a https site (the s meaning it's a secured connection).

From here, you report the fucker to STEAM for trying to phish you out of your well-deserved games.

If you hate scammers click this link, log in and leave a comment saying how much you have scammers

http://www.weHateScammers.com/notAScam

'Buy this domain' - Interesting...

Profiles that are private, level 0 or have no inventory usually tells there a scammer. Doomblade made a perfect example on this, where they add you and then send a message instantly of a scam link.

Best way to learn about scammers is trading, as bots from CSGL will add you to try and scam you. Youll also get people asking about the 'middleman' load of rubbish too, which I dont find is required. A trade is a 1:1 trade imo.

How I trade:

-No bullshit about "this looks MW so it's worth more" idgaf.

-No bullshit about fake items

-No bullshit about middlemen

-Just a trade offer will do the trick

anyone called [unassigned] will be blocked and reported. We all know who those people are

Although shears, this is not the right place to post your frustration like this... I mean, if I were to make a post every single time I get a weird link or an obvious scammer with a different way, I would've had over 200 posts already...

However the right way of posting your frustration is making a threat like: "How to not get scammed: A few tips and tricks for traders."

well, the new implemented system means that the trade will be held for a period of time, so you can just decline it when its being held.

trade won't be held if you have your mobile phone verified. Also, hackers will try and might succeed in making a work-around. My friend once lost all his items by joining some russian's teamspeak.