Sign in to follow this  
Tyron

Map compiling

Ok, im in the middle of making this map,and i need to be testing it regular bases, but my map is getting bigger and bigger and this is making it take longer to compile (i think) so i started compiling the map and left it over night as i sleept and after night it was still compiling. So in total i left it for way over 12 hours so i had to stop it. If anyone has any suggestions; would be much appreciated

I guess one suggestion would be to "hide" the parts of the map you won't be testing in HAMMER, and making a temporary player spawn in the area you will be testing, then when you finally compile the whole thing in the final build just unhide those untested parts.

EDIT: I also forgot, try ticking the "Fast" options for the compile programs when you hit F9 or Run Map or whatever.

My friend uses EC2 Spot Instances from Amazon. You can run an incredibly powerful computer for only an hour or two and it will only cost you ~30p, which is probably less than the costs of power and repair of your computer.

It's slightly technical to make a script that spawns the correct processes to start compiling, and if you need any assistance I'd be happy to help.

Please check out this developer wiki page: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Optimization_(level_design)

And look at this thread that inmylife posted when he had a similar issue, we talked about it on page 2 & 3: http://www.outbreak-community.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=5850

Basically turn as many detailed objects into func_details and check your portal file.

You can run an incredibly powerful computer for only an hour or two and it will only cost you ~30p

Interesting.

You ever come across a thing which you never knew existed, but now you've learned of it you wonder why you didn't think of it yourself?

This is one of those.

And ~30p an hour? Direct debit that shiz.