Sign in to follow this  
inmylife

Borrowing a map

Hi,

today I started making a map in CS:GO, I'm a total noob in it so progress is going slowly. I was wondering if someone who has an existing finished map could give me his .vmf file.

Right now I've got quite a few idea's and 80% of my time is spend googling how I implement them. So for example when I made a medic, I first had to google for video's how it is done and so forth. This is quite bothersome and I'd prever it if I can look at someone's map, see which "class" he has for the object around the medic so I know immediately which class to select.

Of course I am not going to copy anything from your map, it's just so progress goes a bit smoother. Google is a pain in the butt when it is about certain subjects.

It'll be much faster to decompile maps -> BSP source is the best option there, it can bypass protection and even get out custom files. I'd recommend extracting files as the map may just have a lot of errors on it.

Unfortunately when you decompile a map it just feels like an utter mess, go to map->entity report to have a full list of everything in the map. I've found this very useful.

Additionally I've only just found tophatwaffles amazing website, it covers many things such as Hammer Tutorial #62 “JailBreak bare-min”

He also has a program called VIDE which I've found is much better than pakrat, I believe it can even decompile maps, which might mean BSP source isn't even needed anymore

If there is anything specific you can just ask here, I'll probably have an answer, although it's a good idea to remember that there are multiple ways of doing each thing. For example a skipping might have different speed buttons, however i think when a skipping gets progressively faster is much nicer. Aeon had a wonderful skipping, even if it was a little slow at starting up.