Sign in to follow this  
FateMaker

Advertisements to raise money.

Now I know some of you aren't going to like this and I don't want this to go down the same road that "a group video" did, so I am going to keep it short and simple. I have hinted at this idea through various threads but now it has finally come to light. Now there may be some problems with this, but I have thought them through.

Adblock

Some of you may think that because you have adblock, the company won't pay OutBreak. Now I am not sure if a company can pay per view but i'm sure you can find a company that will pay monthly to have advertisements on this webpage.

Annoying Popups

We all know how annoying popups are but I am sure you can find a company that will only do horizontal advertisements on the side of this webpage. That space is not being used so the adverts won't be blocking anything.

We don't need the money

I don't mean to be disrespectful if you think adverts are dishonorable or anything like that and you would prefer to use you own money. I understand that. And if it turns out we get enough donations and we would never run out, feel free to delete this post or put it in the spam bin. But I have heard people saying that the community is having money problems and I would like to help.

Feel free to ask any questions or point out any flaws in this idea, but please don't give me hate or spam posts. I wan't this to be taken seriously and not turn into an argue-mental hate fest.

As all ways. Thank you for reading.

Edit: McLovin, I know you want to wait a few months to see if we are indeed in trouble, so feel free to disregard this for now

I am not up to deciding for any of this, but if I ever needed money, I would never do it with ads. Ads are one of the biggest bullshit things out there and they annoy the fuck out of me. For this reason I don't watch tv except when it is recorded so I can skip stupid ads.

I understand that you wish to help, but I don't like it at all. In the end it wouldn't bother me since I have Adblock, so it's up to the Owners.

Thank you for not hating. I understand how much you and others will hate ads but like I said, if the company pays monthly then you could just post a link so that everyone could get adblock then it will be fine, maybe.

One of the main reasons I love the forums so much is because I'm not constantly bombarded with ads.

More than happy to have them if it means a little more income but still.

AdBlock, I would be happy to give you a link but I think I would get in trouble. I will send you it in steamchat.

The way adblock works on youtube is that is dosen't show the ad. The way ads work on youtube is the owner of the channel and youtube get a set amount for everytime the advert is seen or clicked on. Youtube is essentially a free service for us because we watch the ads and fund it with our views. By not watching the ads we don't add to the ad view count and essentially deny both the channel owner and the website of its monies. So in a sense, pirating I guess.

Same goes for other websites. Only adblocker prevents the ads from showing up. No views = no monies.

Truth. I've watched many a video from youtubers who encourage people to not use adblock so they can get more money and therefore make better videos. I choose not to question what I do not yet understand. Many many companies. Many many variations.

And it doesn't matter anyway. No ad views = No money.

I won't install adblock to skip, at maximum, a 30 second ad. I'd rather watch it or go do something else so the person who put hard work into making me giggle gets a nickel for his troubles.

Just my opinion though. Do what you want man.

It is like that for Youtube, and I seriously don't want to watch an ad before watching a video. I thought I could avoid ads by watching stuff on internet but nooooooo, and then I got Adblock and all was ok.

I get that people need money, but there are jobs for that.

pffff I think there are better ways to advertise. And perhaps in a more indirect way.

For example:

Make a revieuw from a new game that just has been released, and just before the vid starts and at the end you add a short picture with the OB banner & contact info, for example the website.

People will watch those vids and perhaps want to know OB better. They visit website, get to know the servers perhaps, start to donate theirself.. etc.

Just like the others said, those ads at the side would only be annoying.. Nobody likes them,..

Update: If every member would donate 1€/month than all problems are solved :p

Adds fill up Facebook sidebar...i don't have adblock and they are no way intrusive, the side bars of this website aren't used for anything so in theory sidebar ads wouldent annoy me at all since I ignore them on everysingle website anyway? Not against the idea just saying.