Sign in to follow this  
Skillershark

Permanent Bans

Recently, i've seen people be permanently banned for a couple of different reasons. Now, before you ask, this isn't a thread asking for anyone to be unbanned, or saying the rules are too harsh. This thread is saying the rules aren't awfully clear.

Taking the recent Samantha ban as an example. She was certainly a troll, and she certainly crossed over the line. But take it from her perspective. She is trolling jaydog through the use of personal information, and jaydog asks her to stop. So you could take this as a warning. From what i'd read, nowhere was a permanent ban warned at this point. Samantha, being the troll she is, proceeds to say one more thing. Keep in mind, this last message was in personal chat, so it very well could've been a joke.

Perm banned.

Now, I can't protect Samantha in many ways. Certainly she deserved punishment. But the only thing that could've even slightly suggested a Perm ban would be issued is a rule in the general server rules- "discussing personal topics is not encouraged". Do you think that is enough information to inform a new player that that is a rule that, if crossed, Perm bans would be issued?

I'm going to repeat, as after that example it may be unclear, i'm not asking for anyone to be unbanned. I'm just saying, don't you think the rules regarding Perm bans are a little fuzzy? Don't you think that a post explaining the punishment for certain rules, and the lines you have to cross to get Perm banned, is useful, if not necessary?

If any moderators+ read this post, I just want you to consider one thing- a post describing punishment for breaking rules, but more specifically, lines you have to cross to get Perm banned. Yes, there are things that are obvious, like hacking. But a lot of people in the community are trolls. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Some really nice and friendly people like to troll every now and then. Now imagine how it feels to be somebody who loves the community, can't live without it. Then, you cross a line you didn't know existed and get permanently banned.

Thanks for reading.

A permanent ban for Samantha was something overwhelmingly agreed with by the admins and moderators. I understand your point, but we do only dish out permanent bans when we feel they are really necessary.

Permanent bans are not given lightly, they are given for repeated infringements of rules with no signs of improvement. In the case of Samantha for instance, she had been warned many times before about improving her attitude and yet still trolled and gave out personal information. To be safe from a permanent ban, all you really need to do is have a bit of common sense about things that are appropriate to do.

Saying that, we take a dim view on the following things:

• Hacking (the only scenario in which you can be permanently banned without warning)
  • Repeated freekilling (if we ban you for a week for freekilling, you come back and instantly do it again, you have no place in our community)
  • Giving out personal information
  • Consistently trolling and being disruptive (we will give many warning bans before we permanently ban you for this).

I'm going to lock this thread because I feel it could turn nasty quite quickly, if you have any more questions about bans and things of that nature, just poke me anytime ;).