Sign in to follow this  
Skeff

Outbreak-Community.com

A few years ago Gunstar created a brilliant home page for the Outbreak website however it's not been updated since. It's starting to show it's age with old videos, pictures, broken links and mentions to things that never came to be. With the community moving to discord (most likely at time of writing) I figured it would be time to modernise our website as well as our chat platform.

I've been learning ASP.Net Core with MVC and would like to make something to help Outbreak. It'd be great to have a website that community members regularly visit and one that peaks new players interest at a glance. Whilst I learn and make a basic prototype I wanted to get the community opinion about the website;

• Do you think we should have an updated website?
  • What would you like to see from the website?
  • How do you feel about full forum integration?
  • What website/gaming community website do you think is good and we could use in OB?

I'd be a little bit hesitant with backing a dramatic website shift without a clear end goal in mind. If the website is a facilitative vehicle to a particular outcome (e.g. to advertise a server), then we should probably settle on what that should be first. That being said, there are definitely slicker sites out there.

As for what I'd like to see, ho-boy. A bit more colour I think. And can you explain what you mean by full forum integration, and how it's different to what we have now?

https://www.uwsgaming.com/ - A google search for online community has these guys at the top. Instantly you get the sense they're a slick operation. 

21 hours ago, Wist said:

I'd be a little bit hesitant with backing a dramatic website shift without a clear end goal in mind. If the website is a facilitative vehicle to a particular outcome (e.g. to advertise a server), then we should probably settle on what that should be first. That being said, there are definitely slicker sites out there.

This is the biggest reason I have to not do anything and really the main reason I have set up this thread. If the community is to stay as a small voice chat/forum group then I won't pursue this any further however with the move to discord and announcements of game servers I think it may just about be the right time to update.

21 hours ago, Wist said:

As for what I'd like to see, ho-boy. A bit more colour I think. And can you explain what you mean by full forum integration, and how it's different to what we have now?

https://www.uwsgaming.com/ - A google search for online community has these guys at the top. Instantly you get the sense they're a slick operation. 

That website is a great example of what I think OB could have. Something that allows the community to advertise the games they are interested in, advertise upcoming events and display information better, such as the admin list.

The forum integration idea would transform the website to be a more colourful and interactive version of the forums. For example a server announcement post would have a comments section below and would also be shown on the front page. It would give the announcement a bigger platform and wouldn't take away from our ability to chat about it.

The forum integration is definitely just a wild idea right now. I want to make it clear that the priority is Home Page->Supporting Pages->Forum Integration. Perhaps the initial compromise will be to have everything provide links straight to corresponding parts of the current forums, similar to how uwsgaming have links to their forums for each game they are playing.

On 23/09/2019 at 20:25, Skeff said:

With the community moving to discord (most likely at time of writing)

lolxd

how many of us go straight to outbreak-community.com/forums/ when opening this website whether its from a bookmark or just autocomplete, i can't remember the last time i saw the homepage

a shakeup + redesign might be nice but it'd be a luxury

Edited by Quinn

3 hours ago, Quinn said:

lolxd

how many of us go straight to outbreak-community.com/forums/ when opening this website whether its from a bookmark or just autocomplete, i can't remember the last time i saw the homepage

a shakeup + redesign might be nice but it'd be a luxury

forgot it even had a home page