Fluxy

Thoughts on Discord so far?

2 hours ago, Fluxy said:

Music bot single handedly making the case for discord rn

On 01/06/2018 at 19:36, Chus said:

Rythm bot is pretty good, it just plays music that you request off youtube. Like that alone is a reason to be on discord over Teamspeak. It's actually so good. Uh I don't really do the bots but I know theirs some other useful ones ?

Agreed

Some good points raised here. Here are my thoughts

Pros

• Stand alone text channels give the community a better opportunity for integration. This means players in different subgroups can find it easier to interact, inactive players have more opportunities to interact and new players can enter a more central chat. This is my main argument for discord.
  • I think discords UI is much friendlier and more detailed than teamspeak. Joining in with a discord community is much easier and less daunting than teamspeak.
  • Embedded media is great. It removes the extra faff that sharing media comes with on teamspeak.
  • The availability of discord bots can really enhance a server. Whilst you could argue teamspeak can have more functionality, where do we actually make use of it?
  • Most gamers use discord these days. Keeping the community available on discord really improves the likelihood of new players sticking with us.

Cons

• The community is still using discord like teamspeak. I think the number and use of each channel can be groomed to improve how we use the server and text chats be utilised more, for example minor achievements could be posted there.
  • Maybe I have missed a button but it frustates me how discord always marks everything as unread, even when you have a server on mute. It's a quick fix to mark as read but it still grinds my gears. I think I'd rather have some chat history than nothing.
  • The community still needs to get used to discord. There are many differences between the two softwares such as audio notifications. It doesn't take long to get used to these.
  • There have been reports of lagg. There are some settings such as game overlay you can turn off which improves performance. I've been using discord for years and have had little performance issues with the application itself.
  • Standard voice quality in discord is lower than teamspeak, which I understand is a big issue for some people. Perhaps I've spent too long away from teamspeak but I think discords voice is fine, it's really not far behind teamspeak and there are things we can do to improve it. Whilst it takes 50 boosts to get the best quality, it only takes 2 to double the quality and 10 to quadruple it, which is not beyond the realms of possibility for Outbreak.

I think discord is the most appropriate platform for Outbreak to be on right now. It's improved community integration gives it the edge over teamspeak and whilst the default voice quality isn't as good it is still fit for purpose and doesn't require much to improve. I think going back to teamspeak will keep the community in a stagnant state whilst sticking with discord will open opportunities for an active community.

12 hours ago, Oldmike said:

Trust me, music bot single handedly making the case not for discord rn in other channels

HELLO JUST MUTE IT?#

also there are other bots which have features like fairqueue which means everyone's songs gets played

also we need the song limit to be enabled so 1 person can't queue a million things

also we need a 5 minute limit on songs that can be queued

Edited by Quinn

Another suggestion would be to disable bot commands in the vc linked channels and make it so people have to use the bot commands channel,

it means you dont get notified for people adding stuff to the music bot and you can leave the linked channel unmuted for links and chat etc without having to hear notifications for people checking the queue adding new songs etc

1 hour ago, Chus said:

not sure about this one cheif. 

people afk in voice rooms and the ratio of people needed to skip is quite large (as it should be otherwise a few people could skip everyone's songs) but when people queue shit that is 10+ minutes long and everyone has to tab out to skip when they can't be fucked its annoying

3 hours ago, Quinn said:

people afk in voice rooms and the ratio of people needed to skip is quite large (as it should be otherwise a few people could skip everyone's songs) but when people queue shit that is 10+ minutes long and everyone has to tab out to skip when they can't be fucked its annoying

still so many quality videos longer than 5 mins long tho.