Fluxy

Thoughts on Discord so far?

So thought I would make this thread so people can discuss the discord trail, what they like what they dont like and so on. 

For me, pros first.

• Big bonus to community integration, very easy to talk with other members even while we are in our separate channels. 
  • Likely going to be easier to get other new people to join a discord rather than a team speak.
  • I like the social side of things, you can see what music people are listening to, what games they are playing. All very nice. 
  • Many cool features like auto embedding of links and bots 

Cons so far

• Biggest one, and potential deal breaker. Voice quality. While it is definitely not bad; coming from using teamspeak for the past like 6 years you really notice it, some people sound really different and others having difficulty getting their mics to pick up correctly and not having background noise. Some people have said we can like, boost the server with premium discord but I for one don't think thats a great solution.  
  • This is purely subjective but I personally do not like the UI very much, teamspeak is much more clear to see who is where and what is going on. 
  • Notification sounds are pretty annoying but having them off isnt great either. Teamspeak notification sounds much more minimal (the tiny ding when someone types) and informative (user left your channel, user disconnected from the server) 
  • Another V large issue, several people including myself have noticed very small amounts of frame lag or stutter in games like CS when discord has been open.

All in all, im absolutely committed to seeing out the trail because I think the platform has many benefits but I'm not sold on it just yet. If I can't get used to the voice quality over the course of a week I'd be gunning for a return to the ol' TS. 

The music bot is awesome, but the voice quality is dreadful. Also I'm concerned about how we members alert admins to problems. On TS, if one of us poked them, they'd dismiss it as a troll, but if twenty of us poked them at once, they knew it was real and that it needed sorting. If we can sort the voice quality and get a poke plugin, I'm actually okay with discord.

8 hours ago, Fluxy said:

Another V large issue, several people including myself have noticed very small amounts of frame lag or stutter in games like CS when discord has been open.

biggest one for me

6 hours ago, VENGA BUS said:

The music bot is awesome, but the voice quality is dreadful. Also I'm concerned about how we members alert admins to problems. On TS, if one of us poked them, they'd dismiss it as a troll, but if twenty of us poked them at once, they knew it was real and that it needed sorting. If we can sort the voice quality and get a poke plugin, I'm actually okay with discord.

YOU CAN JUST @staff or @ an individual 

Edited by Quinn

47 minutes ago, Mintlou said:

Great point, well argued. 

If TS had the auto image and gif display in the chat window, and other public chat channels that you could post in while in a voice channel then it would be the complete package for me.

THE WORD UR LOOKING FOR MR IT MAN IS EMBEDD