Sign in to follow this  
M1nt-l0u

Time for change

Should Outbreak have a vote for a new owner?   

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should Outbreak seek to impose a new community owner?

• Yes
    • No

To me it's pretty pointless bringing out servers or changing who is in charge of OB at the minute. There needs to be a shift in what we are all playing. I'm all for ideas but any server you bring out now will more than likely be dead in a week lets be honest.  We need to bide our time and wait for a new landmark game or game engine, like the next g-mod or CS, something that everyone will be pulled to. The only game i see at the minute that most people in OB are going to be pulled to is when Halo is launched on Steam, we can wait and see if dedicated servers pop up for it and make sure we are among the first to establish a decent community. In the meantime don't waste your time bitches.

On 08/04/2019 at 21:25, keemy said:

I wouldn't call 30 people split into 5 Groups a community tbh, everyone in OB has different interests and the one thing they had in common was the game server or events that OB used to run, with neither of those happening it's just a TS server with 30ish people on it with 5-8 of which being in the OG channel ,15 being spread in Mix Rooms with about 3 in each and around 7 people constantly in Games Rooms, these numbers never really change, people have at this point stopped trying to mix groups of people up and it's obvious why, they have no reason too, before they had servers or events which led to community integration, without those OB will remain a TS server which has no real community feel to it, the only person that I see moving between groups consistently is Quinn, however they've been in the community fuck knows how long so they comfortably know the OGs and is still the age of the other people within the community so they can relate to their humour etc, which leads to another thing of when the possibility of Discord was being discussed, that thread alone shows the divide between the community some people willing to leave if the move was going to happen and honestly I don't blame them it's like when someone said "It's like going to a pub to see your mates and saying we need more mates" we don't and hence why the community is split, no common interests between groups cause splits and the splits can be fixed with events or a server which people will enjoy longterm.

i agree

So TL:DR,

• There is still some drive here for community engagement to happen
  • There is a desire for gaming servers to pop up for the right game and at the right time
  • FiveM is actually quite a difficult thing to set up and some aren't too sure if it is the thing that will save Outbreak
  • There is a feeling that the community members have separated into smaller groups that rarely have reason to interact with each other
  • There is a consensus that the staff team should shake things up a bit

@Sir_Conor + @Frostie + @giant_cheesepuff 

Why don't we have a sit down on TeamSpeak one night and just talk through how we can all contribute to fixing Outbreak without breaking any relationships further? From the responses given here it seems that people currently object to the idea of the staff team completely changing, but also express some frustration if things stay the way they are. However everyone wants this community to progress in a positive way that involves people. We should all focus on that bit. 

Meet us in the middle somewhere for a chat and then come up with an idea to pitch back to the community on another poll? 

I think the main problem here (as others have said) is more the lack of a unifying entity for the community to engage rather than the admin team. I absolutely agree that there are things the current team could do better (e.g. more communication, more mod powers (what is the benefit of not allowing mods powers like approving forum posts or moving people in teamspeak? These are pretty basic powers and if someone's a mod they should be trustworthy enough to use them)), but I don't think shifting around the team will do much - surely if somebody had an idea for how to move the community forward they would have made a post about it, no?

This being said, I think bringing events back would be beneficial - servers tend to require long term commitments for sustainability and often revolve around a group of people within the community joining at once to create a core population that will actually incentivise other people to join. Events are not like this, you only have to give up a night or two and its an easy way to integrate members across the subgroups that exist. In addition, it perhaps has potential to gauge community interest in a particular game or gamemode, if people didn't find a surf/minigames/gmod/etc. event fun, it's unlikely to work as a server. I would like to clarify, however, that these should be EVENTS not server openings - they should offer the opportunity to play things that aren't usually/commonly available within OB (full sized tournaments, CTF games, 1v1s/2v2s against large numbers of people, and so on...).
As a side note to this, perhaps it would be worth trying cross community events again? The last one basically flopped because everyone was on holiday while it was running but I reckon it might be worth a fair chance (In fairness, I don't know whether other members would be interested in that sort of event, so you would need to check interest first)

Mintlou, I think you made some good points and sparked a good discussion, but I would perhaps split your objectives - if people don't like you they're unlikely to have a productive conversation about the issues you have with the admin team if they think that agreeing with you will allow you leadership; some people may want to change the team but not want you as owner, so not seperating these categories causes unrepresentative arguements. I would have perhaps created this thread initially with a disconnect from you - "this vote is just to see if people are happy with the admins, not whether they want me as the owner etc." and then based on the replies, moved forward with "I think I could be a good candidate..." because I'm assuming the original post wasn't entirely self-interested?

Admins, I think a large part of the problem is due to the lack of communication and direction you seem to have. A stagnant/unfruitful state of development would be acceptable if we could see what work you were trying to do and it was apparent that nobody (including all members of the community) had any useable ideas. Maybe returning monthly updates would work? I understand that there may be nothing of substance to discuss in these posts (although at the moment, the stage that the FiveM server is at would be great to talk about) but I would honestly prefer a copypasta "Hey guys, we're currently just moderating, but any ideas you have for... would be greatly appreciated" to at least acknowledge the community (although if regular events came back, maybe these posts could promote them? Perhaps would be thought of a useless/spammy, idk). I also feel personally that I'm not sure what your goal is with the servers, I've heard talk about trying to build community size from some people, but a DayZ server does nothing to achieve that. Are the servers primary focus to satisfy the existing community or bring in new people?
As for the claims of admin's comments, its one word against another so I can't really argue either way

On 09/04/2019 at 19:40, MiniColossus said:

All I can see from this post mintlou is you complaining 24/7... I've only been apart of OB for 2 years so I wasn't in here when OB was in it's prime.. However all I see on the forums when I come on is people complaining about Outbreak new owner, Outbreak mods this and mods that...

Also ngl this triggered me a bit when Mintlou was just talking about judging the argument, not him.

"But Eagle, you just said 'surely if somebody had an idea for how to move the community forward they would have made a post about it, no?' and then proceeded to give an idea on how to move the community forward!!!1!1!"
Yes, but I hadn't given much thought on community progression until the creation of this thread (which doesn't validate arguing for changing of an admin team as you can spur discussion by just creating a thread asking "how should we improve...")

EDIT: Started writing this earlier in the day then forgot about it so didn't see Mintlou's newest post, he summarised things pretty well but will leave this here as I think I made a few new points.

Edited by Eagle

On 10/04/2019 at 17:47, Mintlou said:

Meet us in the middle somewhere for a chat and then come up with an idea to pitch back to the community on another poll? 

I'm free most nights, I'll chat about this with anyone whenever. Though I'm not sure a poll will actually work from past experiences.

It's nice to see some movement happening

I agree that events do seem to be a good way forward for the community. Instead of spending a long time setting up a server in the hope that it'll be a big hit we have temporary servers to bring the community together. These are so much more flexible in terms of what is hosted which really allows for event diversity.

Unfortunately I have to warn that last time this was tried it didn't last. You can see evidence of this on the Events forum and Event Section forum. If you are interested in hosting events then my suggestions are:

• Stay away from complicated rules and scoring systems because it creates a lot of downtime during the event, means you have to perform lots of admin to enforce and can confuse the players.
  • Make sure the server, maps and plug ins are all thoroughly tested early because you won't find yourself running into unexpected issues.
  • Make sure the game and game mode is something a lot of the community are currently interested in and own.
Edited by Skeff