Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbesbyrig

Language-Learning

So I'm starting to get into the gist of learning a few words/phrases in as many languages as I can, as its probably one of the few ways in which people will be more willing to open up (as well as to add something to a CV).

I know OB has a community from several backgrounds and I think it would actually be quite nice for everyone to learn even just a few among each other (that aren't the standard "teach the tourist how to say 'fuck your mother'") and so this is a call-out for the Non-UK members to teach us a few.

I know we already have a few Turks within the community, but because I'm learning it right now, I'll start with a few words.

Turkish

Spoiler

Translation                                 Word/Phrase                       Transliteration

Hello/Hi                                  Merhaba/Selam                  mer-ha-ba/se-lam

How are you?                          Nasilsin                             Na-suhl-suhn

Fine.And you?                         Lyiyim. Ya sen?                  ee-yee-yem ya sen?

Thank you                              Teşekkür ederim                te-shek-kewr-e-de-reem

Please                                    Lütfen                               lewt-fen

Yes/No                                   Evet/Hayir                         e-vet/ha-yuhr

Sorry                                     Özur dilerim                      er-zewr-dee-le-reem

Of Course                              Tabi                                  ta-bee

Another couple from oldham:

EER LOV PUT T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'KETTLE ON MAKE US A BREW T'T'T'T

Translates into: Hey love, put the kettle on and make us a cup of tea.

HOWS T'T'T'T'T'T'T''T'T'T'T'T'T' LITTL'UN SHIRLEY HE T'T'T'T'T' SPROUTIN UP SOME MORE?

Translates into: How's the little one (child) Shirley? Is he growing up well?

edit: Jokes aside seems like a decent idea, hope it takes off

Edited by Jamie

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Another couple from oldham:

EER LOV PUT T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'T'KETTLE ON MAKE US A BREW T'T'T'T

Translates into: Hey love, put the kettle on and make us a cup of tea.

HOWS T'T'T'T'T'T'T''T'T'T'T'T'T' LITTL'UN SHIRLEY HE T'T'T'T'T' SPROUTIN UP SOME MORE?

Translates into: How's the little one (child) Shirley? Is he growing up well?

edit: Jokes aside seems like a decent idea, hope it takes off

Ruined it.

A lesson in Black Country Basics

"Yam roit bab"
- How are you, female?

"Worro, kidda" [rolled Rs]
- How are you, younger male?

"Oi day ding"
- I didn't press the button to call you over, air hostess.

"Worraya a posho"
- Your accent is more palatable than mine and I'm offended.

"Wotyam saytu-mee"
- What did you say to me? (normally said ~3 seconds before a punch is thrown)

"Ouwd gouwd"
- The Wolverhampton Wanderers FC kit is not orange, it's... (see title colour)

"Give yeredda wobble"
- What you've just said is nonsense.

Please note that all of these phrases rely heavily on rising inflection mixed with guttural noises to sound legitimate. Like the French, Yam-Yams (a slur used to describe the cretins from this region of the UK) are highly sensitive to outsiders trying to fit in so unless you are confident you can maintain a convincing impression, your safety is in jeopardy if you attempt to converse with natives using their language.