Sign in to follow this  
Skeff

CSGO Server Survey

Interested in a CSGO Server?

I am interested in opening a CSGO server for the Outbreak-Community through the Warden role. I would like to use the server for map, model and script development. This would mean every so often I would come onto the server with something like a map to mess about in for a while. If you're lucky it may even be fun.

The server can host any game mode the Outbreak-Community is interested in. It could also be available for events to get the community playing together.

Let me know

This survey is to find out if there is interest within the Outbreak-Community for a CSGO server and what it should contain.

Click here for my CSGO Server Survey

jailbreak and mini games minecraft maps only

In all seriousness, idk. Skill surf could be cool but you wouldn't have all the records that are on the big servers, unless that doesn't phase anyone else and just wants to see the records from within OB. Plus, skill surf benefits from multiple servers to cater to all skills, otherwise people would find maps too easy, or quit cos they're too hard.

Combat surf died and I always found it pretty dull except on a really full deathmatch server.
Fuck JB nobody wants it at this point lol.
Climb could be cool, but it's not something people are going to want to sit on the server hours for.
Mini games died last time.

I'm not likely to play it anyway unless I can get my wrist issues in order as I only play on controller right now, except for Golf It, and I'm just starting uni. My mouse hand does not like me anymore.

Edited by SonyTwan

13 hours ago, Oldmike said:

If there was a possibility to have a mixed server with kz and skill surf that would be amazing. However, I think that would be quite difficult as both game modes have different settings.

These type of servers are possible, Think there's a plugin for a Multi-gamemode server that changes settings based upon map name although they never seem to actually work out. The average player is more likely to just play a server that has the dedicated gamemode they actually want to play, I've only seen these type of server usually work when a really large community that opens them for just their player rather than to get players. 

Skill surf I don't think would ever really work for us, Bigger Servers has that shit locked down. They usually have multiple servers with skill ranks and ranking system which works really well, for me it has always felt like more a competitive mode where people want to beat their times.

Outbreak's best quality is its *special personality* and any server where you don't need to be involved chatting to other players, where just voice_enable 0 and play music or just chat on ts just doesn't really work and when a new server comes out we'll populate it for a time since its a new server but most people seem to get bored of it very easily. 

Personally would like to try out something we've never done before, something that you need to be engaged in that you engage with another player.  The Big games of 2018 haven't really had the ability to make community servers. Games like;  

• PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.
  • Fortnite Battle Royale.
  • Overwatch.
  • Quake Champions.
  • Rocket League.

For events, I'd like to see more "Game Nights" Organise with a few people to play a game at a certain time/day and just create a thread to open invite should anyone want to join e.g. Golf IT, Hearts of Iron, AOE, GTA etc... I think these might get more people involved if you do an open invite to people and as they don't need server/setup or even much organisation they can be done by the community a lot easier. 

9 hours ago, Sir_Conor said:
Spoiler

These type of servers are possible, Think there's a plugin for a Multi-gamemode server that changes settings based upon map name although they never seem to actually work out. The average player is more likely to just play a server that has the dedicated gamemode they actually want to play, I've only seen these type of server usually work when a really large community that opens them for just their player rather than to get players. 

Skill surf I don't think would ever really work for us, Bigger Servers has that shit locked down. They usually have multiple servers with skill ranks and ranking system which works really well, for me it has always felt like more a competitive mode where people want to beat their times.

Outbreak's best quality is its *special personality* and any server where you don't need to be involved chatting to other players, where just voice_enable 0 and play music or just chat on ts just doesn't really work and when a new server comes out we'll populate it for a time since its a new server but most people seem to get bored of it very easily. 

Personally would like to try out something we've never done before, something that you need to be engaged in that you engage with another player.  The Big games of 2018 haven't really had the ability to make community servers. Games like;  

• PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.
  • Fortnite Battle Royale.
  • Overwatch.
  • Quake Champions.
  • Rocket League.

For events, I'd like to see more "Game Nights" Organise with a few people to play a game at a certain time/day and just create a thread to open invite should anyone want to join e.g. Golf IT, Hearts of Iron, AOE, GTA etc... I think these might get more people involved if you do an open invite to people and as they don't need server/setup or even much organisation they can be done by the community a lot easier. 

I'm always happy to host another rocket league event/"Game Night". It went really well and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. The problem is that the last tournament only had 6 people. It's really hard to organise an event where every participant has to be free at the same time. Also, the skill level between everyone is too diverse for the number of players, so making balanced teams that aren't the same every time is near impossible.

Edited by Veng3nce

3 minutes ago, Veng3nce said:

I'm always happy to host another rocket league event/"Game Night". It went really well and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did. The problem is that the last tournament only had 6 people. It's really hard to organise an event where every participant has to be free at the same time. Also, the skill level between everyone is too diverse for the number of players, so making balanced teams that aren't the same every time is near impossible.

GMOD Event only had 3 people. Gmod Server had at least 8 people on everyday tho. We should get a GMOD Server end of convo.

Edited by Vemix

Survey End

It's been almost a week since I put this survey up and the number of responses have slowed down. Thank you to everyone that has submitted a response and are interested in a CSGO server. I shall be closing the survey at the end of the week so if anyone has yet to respond to this please make sure you respond to the CSGO server survey.

CSGO Server

There has been a brilliant repsonse to this survey. 20/22 (90%) of the responses are interested in a CSGO server. This has the potential to be a great starting player base and I am hopeful everyone has old OB friends they can invite to increase this base player population.

CSGO Events

Out of the players interested in a CSGO server 17 (85%) are interested in CSGO events. Since events don't have to maintain a population I am hopeful that events could gain popularity such as the old 20 player events we used to host. This should help boost the population on the server, especially if there is a reward system for playing the events.

I asked how often these players would like to see events. 30% want the old fortnightly schedule back, 40% want monthly events and 20% want them to be less frequent. Whilst I would personally enjoy fortnightly events to be back it would seem monthly CSGO events would be preferable in the community. Some players may want these to be more frequent but I think official events for other games could fill in the void left by CSGO events.

Server Gamemodes

I asked each player to rate their interest in each of the following gamemodes. These are how I expect the gamemodes to fair if used on a server.

Gamemodes that won't survive

Arms race, Battle royale, Deathmatch, Demolition, Hostage

Gamemodes that would struggle to survive

Aim, Capture the flag, Control points, King of the hill, Zombie escape

Gamemodes that could survive

Bunny hop, Retake, Surf (Combat)

Gamemodes that could thrive

Climb, Jailbreak, Minigames, Surf (Skill)

Event Gamemodes

I also asked each player to rate their interest in each of the following gamemodes when used for an event. These is how popular I expect an event with the gamemode to be.

Gamemodes that won't attract (m)any players

Deathmatch, Demolition, Hostage, Retake

Gamemodes that may attact a small group of players

Arms Race, King of the hill, Surf (Combat)

Gamemodes that may attract a medium group of players

Battle royale, Bunny hop, Capture the flag, Control points, Climb, Jailbreak, Surf (Skill)

Gamemodes that may attract a large group of players

Aim, Minigames, Zombie Escape

What next?

I think this survey shows there is support for a CSGO server in the community. There is a good selection of game modes which could work out well for the server however each has it's own issues. A gamemode rotation or multigames plugin could solve these however these solutions also come with their own issues that will need to be addressed for the server to have a long lifespan.

This survey also shows there is support for CSGO events. There is a much greater selection of gamemodes that may bring together groups of the community but there won't be as many players are we have had in the past. Additionally there has been discussion about official events in other games which could also prove to work out well but unless someone takes a survey or tries to host one we don't know how popular it will be. I am hopeful that we can host successful events and make the community excited for them once again.

At the start of next week I will open a discussion for the specific details for the game server and it's gamemodes. There may be a survey to gather data and an open forum thread for players to post their suggestions. After a week or two, if the issues have been addressed and there is sufficient interest in the server I will open it. Once open the server will start with a basic gamemode. Over the first month I will test multiple gamemodes to see how each one works. After this the server will focus on what is the most popular. If the server is doing well then I will expand the servers gamemodes, plugins, maps and introduce events.

What next?

Not long after I submitted my last post the Outbreak admins announced the release of a minigames server. As I don't want to create any competition against this server I will postphone my server plans.

The time I spent on the new server was fun and I encourage others to go on it as it'll be fun with other players. When OB gets servers filled up it is a truely special and fun experience. I also think it'll be interesting to see how the results of my survey translates to a real server.

I'm still interested in mapping and if I manage to create a map that may work out I will be looking to test it within Outbreak. Currently I am interested in creating a competitive bomb map as well as seeing if I could cobble together a minigames map for the new OB server.

Thanks.

/lock thread please?