Sign in to follow this  
Frostie

A very overdue update

20 hours ago, Hobbsyy said:

why not add everything? make an outbreak server with some JB maps, skill surf, minigames, even that weird server that kai made. 

New players won't play it, most people are after one game mode, and having to learn rule for 3 servers can confuse people

Name the OB players who joined through (a) minigames and (b) surf.

(a): sonytwan

(b): ?????? nobody

JB makes communities, MG maintains them a bit, surf is something new to do for existing members unless you're surfheaven big, and retake servers do not do diddily squid

Edited by Wist

It's nice to see an update from the admin team, it'd be nice if we could get this bumped to at least once a month just so we don't think everything is dead.

Servers

I am excited for the new minecraft server, some of my favourite moments on minecraft have been on OB member servers. I really enjoyed the vanilla village that was made a few years ago and would be interested in starting up a new village if others are interested.

There is some discussion about CSGO Jailbreak, Surf and Minigame servers. Personally I don't think OB has got enough players willing to retain an active population but could easily have a few days of fun. This is one reason why a year ago I looked into hosting events and keeping the server open for a few weeks but unfortunately that and every other server that has been tried in the last year has had this same fatal flaw. Perhaps if more people took an interest in the Warden role then we may stumble into something the community can willing to populate.

Shoutbox & Discord

Hopefully the shoutbox will bring a little spark to the forums that has been lacking over the past few months.

I think it's a real shame that discord is fallen by the wayside for now. I think that Discord would improve activity for less active players as they aren't required to join voice chat in order to show activity but on the other hand gives the super active players a great set of channels to do their regular mingling. I think Discord would create much better inter-community relationships as there would be more open chatboxes that players can opt-in and out of, similar to having multiple shoutboxes. Most importantly I think it would bring the community together as we would no longer be required to be spread between so many different platforms such as teamspeak, the shoutbox and the variety of different whatapp groups that are floating about.

16 minutes ago, Wist said:

?‍♂️ Surf here.

Edited by Skeff

On 14/09/2018 at 21:14, Wist said:

JB makes communities, MG maintains them a bit, surf is something new to do for existing members unless you're surfheaven big, and retake servers do not do diddily squid

Edited Friday at 21:15 by Wist

if this is true then surely we want a surf coz we dont want any more twits like sonytwan in the community

On 14/09/2018 at 22:14, Wist said:

surf server was up for like 1 or 2 months? while the minigames lasted way longer 

nice comparison mr cambridge

3 hours ago, w33zy said:

surf server was up for like 1 or 2 months? while the minigames lasted way longer 

nice comparison mr cambridge

Half inclined to agree with this. However, I want to add that there is no guarantee that a jail break would bring more people in, as custom game modes are not what they used to be. Add to the mix that our most 'interesting characters' are not gonna be arsed about playing JB, and JB begins to look like a fruitless endeavour also.

I haven't got any bright ideas, so I don't wanna be the guy who pisses on ideas without contributing, but here we are. I do think an MC server is a good idea tho

if you want to maintain a Jailbreak server then I hate to say you're going to have to be more like CLWO. Although I strongly disagree with some of the rules they have in place and they have been for a very long time a heavily populated server, they have so many plugins that make the game enjoyable. When OB had a JB server it was more on the friendly side of things, speaking to new players, introducing them to the server to play more often. CLWO just use plugins to make the game fun for those with and without a mic, those who don't know anyone on the server, those who don't really know the rules. There are so many more plugins that OB could use to keep people playing the server rather than keeping the same consistent players. Maybe that's what the admins want, at this point I have no idea. 

A few ideas:

• Offer in-game bonuses for using the OB tag to help promote the server (most just don't change their tag when playing on other servers)
  • Last request more often? maybe once/twice a map with more rounds per map
  • a sort of in game currency that players can use to use to buy things that aren't just player and grenade skins; free rounds, low gravity for a round, double health etc
  • maybe more benefits for members would encourage players to play on the servers more

this is just an idea so not going to throw hundreds of points in, but if JB became a thing I'm sure we could come up with other ways to make it better than before.