Sign in to follow this  
gaffeR

Is it time?

For someone to lead this community they will need passion above anything else. If someone is passionate about running a community, seeing it grow and making decisions then as long as they aren’t working 60hours a week the time will be made to run it. As long as you have basic social skills and decent judgement along with a passion in building it up then you are able to run OB.

My question to Conor is this: do YOU honestly still have the passion to run this community or are you hanging on because you don’t want to let go of something which you have run for years now? If the answer is a clear yes to the former, then brilliant but any second guessing yourself you should probably explore other options.

Regardless, what is abundantly clear that you need is an equal, a second owner who is on the same level as you - 50/50. Someone with a passion to see the community succeed. No bs like ‘head-admin’ who ghostwrites posts but someone who will run the community management side of things while you work on tech (which from experience working with you, you are brilliant at). Don’t feel the need to limit yourself to your current staff team as there are plenty of people with experience in community management still out there.

Food for thought for you.

Time for Conor to stand down? Perhaps. There has been many times where we have been left in the dark in the last year and the updates we have had have always been along the lines "We're trying a server soon but we just have to set it up". This always feels like a lame excuse because game servers can litterally be set up in a day - of course custom content may take a little longer but I don't think it is always necessary. Sometimes it's best to get out an alpha that everyone can enjoy and then build up unique content later on which will be more appreciated at that point.

Does this mean Conor should stand down? Not necessarily but I do think a shake up in how the community is moderated is.

The mod team need to be more open with players in the community. Even if there is little to no update it would be nice to see a newspost letting us know this and we no longer feel left out in the dark.

The mod team need to have clear activity on all platforms we are spread across to pick up all the suggestions and give feedback about them. I feel this is particularly crucial on the forums but currently is terrible whether it is in a thread or direct message. There have been plenty of big conversations set up such as Is OB Dead? that could have been settled with 1 comment to address concerns within the thread. This just needs to be from someone high up such as the Owner or an Admin. I have also had various issues with direct messages to the higher ups, I wonder if anyone else has had these? For example when I originally send the link to my Jailbreak map Soar it took well over a month and multiple push messages to get it on the server.

The mod team need to be more brave when it comes to new ideas. There are always players that push back on ideas but even with the unsuccessful ideas a lesson is learnt and the community grows. Players are always scared that their stable environment is going to die but since I've joined OB the only times where we have died out is when we have performed no action to try and advance. I know because I have been this type of player when the original JB server collapsed. The community was pretty dead until we tried GMod DarkRP. This was a suprisingly fun experience and is a key turning point that lead us back to Jailbreak only this time in CSGO, of which most the community now comes from.

Do we need more moderators to do this? At the moment we have a small amount of moderators since there are no large servers to moderate. This seems fine but when we are in such a stagnant state the moderators will sit happy in their position of power but will not take action for the community to move forward. I think a more active group would suit the communities needs more and I appreciate that @Lewis has taken the time to apply for moderator as I think he has the potential to be just this. It would be great to see some of the currently active players applying for this too instead of just complaining in every thread.

I think that it would help having some of the older members running the place in high positions. It would bridge the gap between "OG" and everyone else. 

Personally, the reason I will not be applying for mod again is because of fears of what happened last time I wanted there to be some big changes. It doesn't happen, and even in the mod section, it gets ignored for a long time. And also the fact that Frostie had a rod up his arse the moment he got senior mod to the point where he treated everyone like we were less than him. 

Again, personally I will work with people and not below them - that doesn't mean being owner, it means being respected enough to work. It might even require a new role. Something like "Community Development Admin".  

38 minutes ago, Mintlou said:

Again, personally I will work with people and not below them - that doesn't mean being owner, it means being respected enough to work. It might even require a new role. Something like "Community Development Admin".  

Isn't this the Warden role?

21 hours ago, Mintlou said:

I will not be applying for mod again is because of fears of what happened last time I wanted there to be some big changes.

This certainly is not going to help the case. I think you should apply again and IF the same thing happens, the current admin team needs to start scratching the back of their heads and start realising that they are no benefit to the community anymore. On top of that, there is no shame in stepping down if you feel like that. It's literally the reason I stepped down at some point. I was like "I don't feel like I do anything for the community".