Sign in to follow this  

is ob dead?

19 minutes ago, Wist said:

Only viable owner is someone technical. If you can run the servers, plugins, website, teamspeak and whatever else as well as Conor has, then maybe you're in with a shot. OB won't grow without servers, and you CANNOT be owner without the technical knowledge. Even if you have a hish0t, they'll end up running the place before you know it.

Dw I got this, hold my beer. 

I mean, I'm just gonna say it. This situation is blindly obvious, and I'm shocked that it gets discussed so frequently considering we actually have quite a lot of smart people in this community. Hopefully this will clear up the situation from how I see it. And TBH, this is mostly aimed towards the hardcore OG guys.

Many members and regulars (no, not solely the usual suspects) love to complain about one or several of the following things:

1) OB isn't growing.

2) OB isn't finding the right game so won't progress.

3) If OB is attempting to progress in a certain area/way - they will complain that it's wrong way of doing it.

4) The leadership is inadequate.

5) OB SHOULD NOT progress, because it's perfect the way it is with the old school member base and a teamspeak (???)

Many love to complain, but do nothing about it. And no, writing a 1,000 word post on the forums on this topic does not mean you are attempting to do something good for OB. As far as I can see (no offence to past and current mods) there are only about 5 people who have put a good amount of work into this community in the last 2-3 years - Wist, Unseen and Sir_Conor being 3 of those. I am not attempting to take the moral high ground, I've been guilty of this in the past - right now I don't really put any effort in, but I don't complain either. Watching from afar I've come to see it's such a dickish thing to do, these people (for free - and even out of their own pockets) put in mad hours into trying to spearhead new servers, set up new landing pages, transition to a free discord which represents teamspeak as closely as possible for you guys, and all you do is haul hate, lol.

The split in this community seems to me to be:

1) Those who will only ever go into the OG channel and no where else, and will - quite literally - refuse to play with other people in this community because they don't feel comfortable doing so - at an extreme end, some of you even have about 15+ members in this community blocked/muted. The former is a fairly low number, because there are a few guys who spend a lot of time in the OG channel but are regularly open to playing things like cs mixes, league gathers, pubg games etc with other people in the lower down channels. If you don't have to think twice, you know you're one of these.

2) Literally everybody else.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with this - you're free to talk to who you want. But it confuses me, there is no effort made with the extensive community at all. If this is the case, which it is, because there are some people who live in the OG channel that I haven't had a conversation with in like 2 years - why not just go to your own teamspeak? You aren't a fan of the new member base, you no longer like the games that OB attempts to try. Maybe you don't have to, but quite frankly, some of the stuff you guys say is pretty annoying. When I was quite high up in about a 1-2 years ago (in member terms) as in I was having long chats with Unseen/Conor about OB every day and hosting every other event - it was quite frankly pathetic seeing some of you post negative comments on here about things you were completely clueless about, about the effort that these people put in and the reasoning behind decisions that were made. I remember I actually used to laugh that some of you would post on member apps 'not sure who you are, would like to see you a bit more around before i give my +1' LMFAO. Of course you don't have a fucking clue who they are, the rest of us did because we actually played the servers with them, other games with them, or talked to them. Are they not integrated unless they go into that one channel? I remember that was actually a statement made by someone once.

But that moves on to communication - and here I will partially agree with you. The high council should and could be more communicative in decisions/plans/the state of OB. But TBH - what does Conor owe to you? It's like you think you're all part of some exclusive group, and you get annoyed if new, young people come along. Maybe that's changed - I don't really know how you welcome people in there anymore. If I do visit the OG channel I usually just mute myself within about 20 minutes, because it's just the same people making the same noises and jokes over and over again.

By all means continue doing what you're doing, complaining etc - but summarising this, thought I'd let you know that there's literally like 15-16 year olds who have messaged me in the past finding it bewildering with how some of you guys, 10 years their senior, act on teamspeak and comment on the forums. Discord hasn't gone ahead because of how much some of you raged and begged for it not to happen. Maybe you don't want OB to progress - and that's fine, but you need to see the other POV that some people do, we want more members, more servers. Maybe it's time to buy that teamspeak?

Anyway, feel free to bitch about me now amongst yourselves and this will probably seclude myself further from that channel. A new whatsapp group because you're scared of 'eyes'? Is this a year 6 playground or are we 20+ year old men? To quote Unseen 'no one gives a shit what is typed in there'

3 year rant build up over

Edited by Lewis

On 06/09/2018 at 09:06, Rory said:

Wasn't Unseen offered co owner and then declined?

I agree with what you're saying and we are probably on the same wavelength about this stuff but it's not like Conor didn't offer Unseen that opportunity.

Other than Unseen I can't really think of another who would have suited owner of OB but then again I don't know most of the community as well as I used to.

Just to clarify, no I wasn't offered co-owner/owner - I just didn't care for the title since at the time of asking being 'HA' was the same thing. It'd literally be a title difference, not a job difference.

Further to that, at the time that I think you are talking about, it literally wouldn't have mattered if me and Conor swapped owner/HA - since he was doing tech and decisions, I was doing people/events and decisions, we were working well together and so the title roles made little difference to me.

However since being owner does mean you get the final say and later down the line there were a few decisions that I think I'd have objected to if they were brought to me (I had been inactive for a brief stint due to irl stuff, and Gunstar had also been inactive for an extensive time at this point) then perhaps a change of leadership would have had an impact - but that's all 'what ifs', and it's pointless to grumble about it at this point. 

I'd say it's ironic that the big word at the top of the page is so often overlooked. OB is a community - and by that I mean people shouldn't be judging it based off business models for growth and people shouldn't be exclusive/semi-libertarian in behaviour when approaching a community's leadership structure, it should be supportive and inviting (on both sides).

Then again this is OB, and half of us can't read ?

1 hour ago, Lewis said:

I mean, I'm just gonna say it. This situation is blindly obvious, and I'm shocked that it gets discussed so frequently considering we actually have quite a lot of smart people in this community. Hopefully this will clear up the situation from how I see it. And TBH, this is mostly aimed towards the hardcore OG guys.

Many members and regulars (no, not solely the usual suspects) love to complain about one or several of the following things:

1) OB isn't growing.

2) OB isn't finding the right game so won't progress.

3) If OB is attempting to progress in a certain area/way - they will complain that it's wrong way of doing it.

4) The leadership is inadequate.

5) OB SHOULD NOT progress, because it's perfect the way it is with the old school member base and a teamspeak (???)

Many love to complain, but do nothing about it. And no, writing a 1,000 word post on the forums on this topic does not mean you are attempting to do something good for OB. As far as I can see (no offence to past and current mods) there are only about 5 people who have put a good amount of work into this community in the last 2-3 years - Wist, Unseen and Sir_Conor being 3 of those. I am not attempting to take the moral high ground, I've been guilty of this in the past - right now I don't really put any effort in, but I don't complain either. Watching from afar I've come to see it's such a dickish thing to do, these people (for free - and even out of their own pockets) put in mad hours into trying to spearhead new servers, set up new landing pages, transition to a free discord which represents teamspeak as closely as possible for you guys, and all you do is haul hate, lol.

The split in this community seems to me to be:

1) Those who will only ever go into the OG channel and no where else, and will - quite literally - refuse to play with other people in this community because they don't feel comfortable doing so - at an extreme end, some of you even have about 15+ members in this community blocked/muted. The former is a fairly low number, because there are a few guys who spend a lot of time in the OG channel but are regularly open to playing things like cs mixes, league gathers, pubg games etc with other people in the lower down channels. If you don't have to think twice, you know you're one of these.

2) Literally everybody else.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with this - you're free to talk to who you want. But it confuses me, there is no effort made with the extensive community at all. If this is the case, which it is, because there are some people who live in the OG channel that I haven't had a conversation with in like 2 years - why not just go to your own teamspeak? You aren't a fan of the new member base, you no longer like the games that OB attempts to try. Maybe you don't have to, but quite frankly, some of the stuff you guys say is pretty annoying. When I was quite high up in about a 1-2 years ago (in member terms) as in I was having long chats with Unseen/Conor about OB every day and hosting every other event - it was quite frankly pathetic seeing some of you post negative comments on here about things you were completely clueless about, about the effort that these people put in and the reasoning behind decisions that were made. I remember I actually used to laugh that some of you would post on member apps 'not sure who you are, would like to see you a bit more around before i give my +1' LMFAO. Of course you don't have a fucking clue who they are, the rest of us did because we actually played the servers and other games with them.

But that moves on to communication - and here I will partially agree with you. The high council should and could be more communicative in decisions/plans/the state of OB. But TBH - what does Conor owe to you? It's like you think you're all part of some exclusive group, and you get annoyed if new, young people come along. Maybe that's changed - I don't really know how you welcome people in there anymore. If I do visit the OG channel I usually just mute myself within about 20 minutes, because it's just the same people making the same noises and jokes over and over again.

By all means continue doing what you're doing, complaining etc - but summarising this, thought I'd let you know that there's literally like 15-16 year olds who have messaged me in the past finding it bewildering with how some of you guys, 10 years their senior, act on teamspeak and comment on the forums. Discord hasn't gone ahead because of how much some of you raged and begged for it not to happen. Maybe you don't want OB to progress - and that's fine, but you need to see the other POV that some people do, we want more members, more servers. Maybe it's time to buy that teamspeak?

3 year rant build up over

Nice rant. 

But once upon a time Conor was in in our friendship group, way back when. He split from the group. That group was the core of the community back then, it was the group of people new players connected with and gave reason for them to stick around, many of whom still interact with us on a daily basis. 

There is no long-winded answer to this debate in my opinion. Give the community to someone who will actually do things. I'm in a weird situation. I have always complained, but ALWAYS offered to help financially and technically - most of those efforts ignored.

Just hand it over already and watch me try new things and attempt to fix it. It is what I'm destined to do in this life.