Sign in to follow this  
SonyTwan

Tekken 7/Fighting games in general

Tekken 7 is my first real fighting game that I've played properly, currently about 230 hours of game time which is tiny in the grand scheme of things. Randomly came across it while browsing twitch late at night, came across the finals of a Japanese team tournament where one guy managed to beat 5 others after the rest of his team was eliminated, was really fun to watch despite having no clue about the game. Did a bit of research and threw myself in and I've been playing it ever since.

- Huge roster of characters that all player differently with decent customisation
- Really well balanced (there's been a bear player wreaking havoc in top 8 of tournaments lately)
- Ridiculously complex to the point you're learning something new every time you play (don't let that put you off though)
- Cool music and stages
- Slowmo system when both players are frames from killing each other

If anyone wants to pick it up (it's on sale pretty often lately) I'd be happy to play and help you along. It's my first fighting game so I've heard to learn concepts such as frame data, mix ups, movement, counterhits, actually executing combos, etc. It's all been surprisingly interesting albeit difficult.

Do not buy this game if you want a decent single player experience, story is pretty boring and AI can be abused. Be prepared to have the shit kicked out of you over and over again until you learn, the game can be really disheartening if you let it. There's nobody else to blame but yourself if you lose, so you gotta cope with that.

A decent tournament set to watch with two of the best players in the world:

In regards to other fighting games, Soul Calibur 6 is being released in October. Looks cool, plus Geralt is in it and plenty of people in OB bum The Witcher (rightfully so).
I'll be picking it up.

Anyone play any other fighting games? Never played any 2D or anime fighters, but curious to try new things.

Edited by SonyTwan

I played Tekken pretty much from the start and it's definitely one of the best fighting games out there however I've kinda slowed on playing it with the newer releases. Give Lili a try and also law those are probs my 2 favourite characters if you haven't played them already. I can't really help you with other fighting games as Tekken is the only one ive played but I'm sure there are some great hidden gems about.

13 minutes ago, Chus said:

I played Tekken pretty much from the start and it's definitely one of the best fighting games out there however I've kinda slowed on playing it with the newer releases. Give Lili a try and also law those are probs my 2 favourite characters if you haven't played them already. I can't really help you with other fighting games as Tekken is the only one ive played but I'm sure there are some great hidden gems about.

Lili was recently played be Knee during finals in a tournament cos her sidestep is so buff, being able to sidestep Devil Jins best move to catch people doing exactly that (laser scraper).

18 hours ago, Eraser said:

I’m garbage at fighting games but I was okay at tekken 2. Easy wins consisted of choosing Law, spam circle and x, causing law to double backflip and knock opponent into the air, there was no cool down and was infuriating to play against

Idk about Tekken 2 but in 7 that's punishable on block, it's just knowing that it is lol
Gotta learn what moves you can punish and what punish you can use, lots of stuff to remember.
Some moves you can only punish at 10 frames with a jab or two, some moves you can punish at 15+ frames which is generally a launch and a juggle depending on the character.

A great set to watch if anyone is interested in seeing some King gameplay:

Edited by SonyTwan