5 hours ago, Jak said:

What great change will discord bring @Skeff? Would love to hear this miracle cure.

This. This is my only question other than it being free... I don't think getting a discord server is going to fix OB's problems.

I wouldn't of gave that much of a shit but i wouldn't use a platform that none of my friends want to use so...

Right, well those who want Outbreak to be a new spree of life and energy can fuck off to the Discord. The OGs can come with me to my TeamSpeak server where we can continue to be old and boring there.

Maybe Skeff will be happy enough to warrant a weekly voice visit rather than a quarterly forum moan. 

Or continue to spite my efforts and keep wasting your money funding a dead community. It isn't going anywhere with TS, and you know it. 

@Jak I agree, this feels a lot like brexit only this time project fear is winning.

Outbreak players are currently split between various official and unofficial platforms. Discord will remove the need for all these and bring everyone together. When the community is all together we can focus on creating the kind of community that is open to playing games with each other as opposed to closed off subgroups.

All the difference Whatsapp chats will no longer be required because you can just use the discord mobile app.

The forums shoutbox will no longer be required because discord has multiple text chat channels.

The forums will no longer be required because discord allows for real time chat. I'm sure the forums can be repurposed for announcements and official communication later on.

Teamspeak will no longer be required because discord provides voice chats for players to talk to each other.

Players will no longer have to move through voice channels to ask players to join their games. Discord provides global chats for players to announce they're looking for people to play games with.

Players that cannot join voice channels are no longer excluded from the fun because discord doesn't require players to join voice channels in order to join the chat.

If you don't agree please post the benefits of staying fragmented within teamspeak, private whatsapps, the forums and the shoutbox.

4 hours ago, Skeff said:

@Jak I agree, this feels a lot like brexit only this time project fear is winning.

Outbreak players are currently split between various official and unofficial platforms. Discord will remove the need for all these and bring everyone together. When the community is all together we can focus on creating the kind of community that is open to playing games with each other as opposed to closed off subgroups.

All the difference Whatsapp chats will no longer be required because you can just use the discord mobile app.
People use WhatsApp to talk to specific people/groups of people privately outside of a community platform, this will not stop. People also use WhatsApp when they're out and about because it's better for text/media chat than Discord and it doesn't require downloading another app.

The forums shoutbox will no longer be required because discord has multiple text chat channels.
Who uses the shoutbox? It's not required now. Nobody gives a shit about it. Get rid of it, who cares.

The forums will no longer be required because discord allows for real time chat. I'm sure the forums can be repurposed for announcements and official communication later on.
So you want to get rid of the forums? Why? And why would anyone go on here to look for announcements if that's all it becomes? I wouldn't, that's for sure. I come here for slower, more permanent conversation.

Teamspeak will no longer be required because discord provides voice chats for players to talk to each other.
Discord voice channels are shit, it's not built for voice chat. TS is still the better platform for voip because of the way text and voice channels are integrated. There were tests into trying to get Discord to work the same way as TS and it wasn't possible. Why try and copy something when it's already been built and works?

Players will no longer have to move through voice channels to ask players to join their games. Discord provides global chats for players to announce they're looking for people to play games with.
Global chat is specifically disabled in TS by the Outbreak admin team. Why, I don't know, but people having to move through channels is nothing to do with TS, it's an on-purpose admin decision. Would take less than one minute to remedy that.

Players that cannot join voice channels are no longer excluded from the fun because discord doesn't require players to join voice channels in order to join the chat.
That's one of the basis for people wanting to stay on TS. Nobody wants to read a load of text while they're playing games, they want to be able to speak to people. You wouldn't know this because you never come on TS.

Go again, why change to Discord?

Discord isn't gonna bring community together lol. Having a combined interest (back in the day, jailbreak) will. I can understand the global chat thing, but do what you should of done ages ago and bring shoutbox back to the FRONT PAGE. This will keep forums healthy and active and still have some degree of global community interaction.

Let's say Discord goes ahead and EVERYONE moves over, no seperate TS or anything. People will still veer off into different rooms because we all enjoy certain company over voice chat, some people don't feel like hanging out with people way younger than them but others do, that's their choice. Like Jak said in a thread a while back, it's like being good mates going for a drink at your local pub.

2 hours ago, SonyTwan said:

Only thing that's gonna bring the community back together is a unified goal or game that most of us enjoy playing
which ain't gonna happen for a while

everyone buy monster hunter world??
tekken??

Buy Witcher 3 and we can all be muted in the same TS room wanking off to the sex scenes

I completely agree, having a main goal and/or game would definitely help booster the community but unfortunately I don't see this happening for a while. Would this be as effective as we hope, I'm not so sure. Heck even when we had the last JB server there were some players that completely dismissed the server.

Knowing this won't happen for a while is one reason I am pushing for discord. Not everyone is available to sit in TS channels or go through the forums, hence why whatsapps have been so popular recently. Personally I find discord a great way to keep up activity when I am away via the app but also integrate with players when I'm at my desktop. It is really a handy platform to bring all aspects of the community together by opening up all the subgroups that have been forming over 6 years.

Responses for @Jak

On 02/09/2018 at 16:26, Jak said:

People use WhatsApp to talk to specific people/groups of people privately outside of a community platform, this will not stop. People also use WhatsApp when they're out and about because it's better for text/media chat than Discord and it doesn't require downloading another app.

There are plenty of Whatsapp groups for specific groups that could easily be given their own channels and would fit well within a server. If even a few of them moved to discord then those sub groups would be much more open to people that may be interested. I understand there are some more personal Whatsapp groups that people want to keep private but I'm sure some can integrate well.

As for sharing media I think discord trumps teamspeak and the forums. Images and videos get embedded so no need to click through to other sites or use a hosting service such as imgur. Everything is presented straight to you, you don't even have to tab out if you have multiple screens.

Who uses the shoutbox? It's not required now. Nobody gives a shit about it. Get rid of it, who cares.

There are plenty of people that enjoy a shoutbox but our current shoutbox has lack of interest because it is a hassle to find and many people forget to check it. Discord can provide the same functionality as the shoutbox only with multiple channels which allows a variety of different chats. Perhaps each of the main games people are interested in can have their own dedicated voice and text channels. Heck this may even attract more players because they can look at the text chat related to the game and see how many people are playing, they'll join the voice channels and integrate with that subgroup.

So you want to get rid of the forums? Why? And why would anyone go on here to look for announcements if that's all it becomes? I wouldn't, that's for sure. I come here for slower, more permanent conversation.

Discord has the potential to hold all chat within the community which could lead to the loss of the forums. As someone who has used the forums quite a lot this saddens me but I feel that this means the future of the forums is up for discussion. Now of course all conversations hosted here have a much more permanent nature which lead me to suggest announcements as they are definitely worth documenting. I also think news, membership applications and moderator applications should remain however some spammier elements such as the What are you Listening to Now thread could easily be moved to discord.

Discord voice channels are shit, it's not built for voice chat. TS is still the better platform for voip because of the way text and voice channels are integrated. There were tests into trying to get Discord to work the same way as TS and it wasn't possible. Why try and copy something when it's already been built and works?

I find the discord voice channels much better than teamspeak and I don't understand why having integrated channels are such a big issue.

Global chat is specifically disabled in TS by the Outbreak admin team. Why, I don't know, but people having to move through channels is nothing to do with TS, it's an on-purpose admin decision. Would take less than one minute to remedy that.

That's a shame, perhaps teamspeak would be a much better experience with that. I've only ever really used teamspeak for OB and so I only know teamspeak with our current set up.

That's one of the basis for people wanting to stay on TS. Nobody wants to read a load of text while they're playing games, they want to be able to speak to people. You wouldn't know this because you never come on TS.

Load of text? I don't know what type of game invite you're scribing but it's a lot bigger than the simple "CSGO, 5pm" that most people would put. I would find this much less intrusive then what we currently have, which I really disliked when I was a regular on the server.