IrishChamp

Classic WoW

I'm sure many of you have played some iteration of WoW in your past, whether it be Vanilla, some recent expansion or even a private server.

This isn't new news, but Blizzard announced that they're going to bring official Vanilla servers online similar to OSRS. They kept shutting down private servers and this decision has caused a lot of excitement (although people are estimating that release will be November 2019 at the earliest). 

My question to you guys: Will you play an official Vanilla WoW server? I'm assuming there's gonna be a membership fee so don't say yes and then say "ye but I'm not gonna pay a 10er a month for it"

Personally I have had quite a lot of fun playing on private servers and I can see myself really enjoying playing vanilla WoW.

A maybe from me.
I really enjoy the levelling and exploration of MMO's more than anything else, if they keep the original level/xp progression which I've heard was quite steep I may pick it up. It'll be nice to explore the areas thoroughly, doing all the original quest lines and having to milk every last area simply because you have to.

I'd prefer a PvP server though. I enjoyed the tension, random combat, having to hide/run, etc.

Edit: This is referring to when they release WoW classic, not a custom server.
No idea how long that's going to take.

Edited by SonyTwan

51 minutes ago, SonyTwan said:

A maybe from me.
I really enjoy the levelling and exploration of MMO's more than anything else, if they keep the original level/xp progression which I've heard was quite steep I may pick it up. It'll be nice to explore the areas thoroughly, doing all the original quest lines and having to milk every last area simply because you have to.

I'd prefer a PvP server though. I enjoyed the tension, random combat, having to hide/run, etc.

I'd bet money on them putting the leveling speed back to what it used to be. One of the big gripes that a lot of people have with modern WoW is how they destroyed the leveling experience because you can just use BoA trinkets and xp pots to reach max level in one sitting. It's no longer an achievement to reach max level. I believe they'll bring back the grind, where it'll take a looong time to reach 60 and you can spend as much time as you please in the various leveling zones. 

Also I think I'll try a PvP server. I was a pussy who was v young and intimidated by all the experienced players when I started WoW so I only played on PvE servers but I want that World PvP aspect of the game to exist. Do you know if servers were separated into PvP and non PvP back then or was it all PvP?

32 minutes ago, gaffeR said:

id love to, but i cba losing all my time playing wow again, plus it would be nice to level with people but to hard with everyones work times, etc.

Im out.

I imagine there being like one or two days of everybody levelling together and then people will split as some will have more time to grind than others. Once we're all at 60 we could raid together. But your excuse for not wanting to give up your time is extremely valid, I just feel like it's something I'd rather do than sit around in TS playing random games. 

48 minutes ago, IrishChamp said:

I'd bet money on them putting the leveling speed back to what it used to be. One of the big gripes that a lot of people have with modern WoW is how they destroyed the leveling experience because you can just use BoA trinkets and xp pots to reach max level in one sitting. It's no longer an achievement to reach max level. I believe they'll bring back the grind, where it'll take a looong time to reach 60 and you can spend as much time as you please in the various leveling zones. 

Also I think I'll try a PvP server. I was a pussy who was v young and intimidated by all the experienced players when I started WoW so I only played on PvE servers but I want that World PvP aspect of the game to exist. Do you know if servers were separated into PvP and non PvP back then or was it all PvP?

I think they were seperated on release but I could be wrong. Although from what I've read in the new expansion they're removing world PvP in favour of having you opt in to wPvP while you're in a city, which kind of defeats the point imo. Hopefully that change isn't carried over to classic for whatever reason. 

wPvP was really fun, you occasionally have to accept a group of people or a higher level shitting all over you, corpse camping and the like, but that's part of the experience. Having to constantly watch your surroundings, get the drop on people to win, non-verbal peace agreements, chase opposing factions out of your questing zones, etc all added to the fun. Stranglethorn is something else entirely.

Occasionally you'd see the same people over and over while you're levelling at the same rate, made for some fun little rivalries. 

Edited by SonyTwan

12 minutes ago, SonyTwan said:

I think they were seperated on release but I could be wrong. Although from what I've read in the new expansion they're removing world PvP in favour of having you opt in to wPvP while you're in a city, which kind of defeats the point imo. Hopefully that change isn't carried over to classic for whatever reason. 

wPvP was really fun, you occasionally have to accept a group of people or a higher level shitting all over you, corpse camping and the like, but that's part of the experience. Having to constantly watch your surroundings, get the drop on people to win, non-verbal peace agreements, chase opposing factions out of your questing zones, etc all added to the fun. Stranglethorn is something else entirely.

Occasionally you'd see the same people over and over while you're levelling at the same rate, made for some fun little rivalries. 

I remember getting so fucking frustrated in WOTLK levelling characters and having to deal with groups of idiots with 4k+ gearscore corpse camping you.

But i agree that shit was still fun and part of the experience.

Edited by Jamie