Finnley

Game Changers

1 hour ago, VENGA BUS said:

the shorter length of time you spend with a game doesn't mean it can't be revolutionary.

"Singleplayer games up 'til now just never stayed relevant for longer amounts of time."

Half-Life ?????????????

I am not denying anything you say... We're talking about two different things. In terms of players, Half-Life is completely irrelevant, because there is probably no players left (apart from some speedrunners) and it became that way in probably less than a year maybe? (don't quote me on that). But yes, back in the day it was revolutionary, but mainly technologically. Half-Life never changed the lives of it's players nor did it leave an impact on the non-geeks.

Edited by Finnley

14 minutes ago, Finnley said:

I am not denying anything you say... We're talking about two different things. In terms of players, Half-Life is completely irrelevant, because there is probably no players left (apart from some speedrunners) and it became that way in probably less than a year maybe? (don't quote me on that). But yes, back in the day it was revolutionary, but mainly technologically. Half-Life never changed the lives of it's players nor did it leave an impact on the non-geeks.

That doesn't mean it's not a "game changer" though. While it may not have reached such a large audience in the days of its release is irrespective of its impact on game development and the games of today. I'm sure at the time of its release among the PC community it saw large sales relative to the size of said community, as well as the slew of mods (and future game developers) it helped create. 

Half-life mods and many things which spawned from it such as CS are still played to this day.

Edited by SonyTwan

1 minute ago, SonyTwan said:

That doesn't mean it's not a "game changer" though. While it may not have reached such a large audience in the days of its release is irrespective of its impact of game development and the games of today. I'm sure at the time of its release among the PC community it saw large sales relative to the size of said community, as well as the slew of mods (and future game developers) it helped create. 

Again, fully agree. But I am looking for those lightning in a bottle titles in the future and I am almost 100% convinced that it's not going to be singleplayer.

1 minute ago, Finnley said:

Again, fully agree. But I am looking for those lightning in a bottle titles in the future and I am almost 100% convinced that it's not going to be singleplayer.

Multiplayer does provide a whole lot of replayability due to every game being different and the unpredictability/predictability of human players, knowing that you're better than other people is a fun feeling. It'll likely be something that's good for content creators as we've saw with PUBG/Fortnite. If a game is fun to watch, people are going to want to pick it up.

2 minutes ago, SonyTwan said:

Multiplayer does provide a whole lot of replayability due to every game being different and the unpredictability/predictability of human players, knowing that you're better than other people is a fun feeling. It'll likely be something that's good for content creators as we've saw with PUBG/Fortnite. If a game is fun to watch, people are going to want to pick it up.

Exactly.

Fortnite hasn't done anything innovative to earn the title of revolutionary, it's just an extremely popular game. The most revolutionary thing about fortnite isn't the game, it's epic games and how they seem to care about fortnite and the playerbase. It's just a fresh feeling rather than the usual milking the playerbase dry and then moving onto the next $60 cash cow game with 10 paid dlc (which should have been included in the base game) and p2w bullshit.

It's sad to say but eventually epic games won't be able to continuously roll out these high quality updates and people will start to leave. There's only so much you can change/add in a game before it no longer feels like the original game.

Only reason fortnite is popular is because of the influx of normies after drake and ninja played, if lets say a celebrity didn't play this game it would still be popular, but nowhere near as popular as it is today, it's just a trend that will die down soon enough along with the game and only a small % of these people will actually stay hooked on games while the rest just move on.

7 minutes ago, GingerPopper said:

Only reason fortnite is popular is because of the influx of normies after drake and ninja played, if lets say a celebrity didn't play this game it would still be popular, but nowhere near as popular as it is today, it's just a trend that will die down soon enough along with the game and only a small % of these people will actually stay hooked on games while the rest just move on.

Fortnite was still the biggest game in the world and full of normies before drake

1 hour ago, GingerPopper said:

Deadmouse plays CS, that must be why it’s such a popular game

??????????????