Finnley

Game Changers

So by now everyone and their mums play Fortnite, right? And like Irish said it's completely changed the view on gaming amongst a lot of non-gamers. With that it changed the lives of a lot of people. There is a shit-ton of new streamers and Youtubers and channels that have been around for a while increased in size massively. Kind of the same thing Minecraft did back in the day, which was a revolutionary game to say the least. Though it feels like both did it in a different way, it doesn't have much to do with the building. However it could be the freedom that it gives you which draws people in.

My question to you is:
What kind of game is going to be revolutionairy next? We have seen two games do it, there must be some patterns we can deduce from these two. Perhaps you could be the one that cracks the code and one day be a billionaire because of it. Or you can tell when a game is going to do be like that this and cash-in on that in some way or the other. Brainstorm!

For sure it will be something using VR, >>CopyPasted>> Half-life revolutionised first person shooters and storytelling in games by never dropping you out of the first person view and allowing you to interact with dozens of things during play. Instead of all npcs being enemies you had friendly npcs like the doctors, you could sprint, jump, climb ladders, crouch, you had to solve puzzles, take leaps of faiths across chasms, crawl through air ducts and hundreds of other things that modern games now take for granted. Whilst it wasn't the first real 3D fps (Quake being the first), it was the most ambitious, and it's constant on-going story-telling that was only seperated by loading screens with no 'levels' involved. It didn't feature any of the usual 'fight your way through x amount of enemies to end of level then face boss' mechanics that games like wolfenstein, quake and doom were known for, it was a seamless trek through an enormous facility littered with all manner of deadly traps and enemies.

Many things you see now in first person shooters as a standard thing was started by half-life, the same as many of the standard things we see in first person shooters today were also started by half-life 2, when it introduced the idea of real-time physics including bouyancy, gravity and ragdoll models.

And it's these reasons that I believe Half-life 3 is still being kept in the dark. Valve revolutionised games with HL1, then they did it again with HL2, it's a benchmark to which all other games have to compare themselves, so until they have enough new and unique features to put into HL3 to do it again, Valve won't let anything slip through the net.

Also I wish RTS games make a comeback and get games executed similar in fashion to red alert 2 and aoe 2

I personally believe that once VR gets completely polished and marketable to a point where it would be worth the price of an average console, as well as a groundbreaking game that completely takes advantage of the console to create an amazing online world (For example, the OASIS from Ready Player One). It would probably revolutionize the gaming industry and even the world if you want to go as far as that.

This is basically me saying that it would be cool if the OASIS was real (Even if I didn't enjoy the book and film).

It certainly won't be fighting games. There's the odd few out there that are drastically stripped down to make the gameplay more accessible, but all the big name ones are ridiculously complex, especially anime fighters (which admittedly I haven't touched). I've played about 150 hours of Tekken and still consider myself an absolute scrub, and that's with all the videos and advice I've searched out for, time spent in the practice mode, time spent watching recordings of my own games, etc.

Basically what Jamie said: kid friendly, accessible gameplay, guns that go pew pew, available on all platforms.

Until VR on all platforms has some amazing stuff, while being much cheaper to afford, nothing is going to happen. Even then, it's not as simple as booting up a game and off you go.

Edited by SonyTwan

5 hours ago, VENGA BUS said:

Whatever next step it is, it will be done by indie devs.

Pic related 

Xc5mCdg.jpg

All true, but these are singleplayer games which get a good metascore... These games are not played by an absurd amount of people (not even back in the day) and you will last 5-20 hours in most of these games. No singleplayer game will be what I described.

RTS is going to make a comeback.

Something in the vein of planetary annihilation but actually done well. A modern RTS with modern interface with the scope and scale of something like supreme commander would be very popular. Planetary annihilation failed because of bad ui bad controls and the fact that it ran incredibly jankily. RTS WILL BE BIG AGAIN

1 hour ago, VENGA BUS said:

Though I don't see why single player couldn't be groundbreaking. 

It can be technologically, but in order to change people's lives like Minecraft and Fortnite did it has to be something that can last. Like I said most singleplayer games last 5-20 hours. There is a bunch that take you on a longer journey with an open world, like The elder scrolls and GTA. But even those titles didn't reach as many people. Minecraft and Fortnite just hit the perfect balance of being interesting enough for gamers and being accessible for the general public. Singleplayer games up 'til now just never stayed relevant for longer amounts of time.