Sign in to follow this  
M1nt-l0u

ESL Outbreak Winter 2017 - RESULTS

ESL Outbreak Winter 2017

So, let's get this started shall we. 

This Winter tournament was organised and constructed by Kai. Kai has put a tremendous effort in the management of getting the teams, themes and dreams to happen over the course of the last three days, and although this tournament wasn't favoured by many, we should really be happy that someone had the patience and motivation to go through with this event. It was an uphill battle from the start really. My part in this was very last minute and I assisted Kai with the live performances and general admin duties. Conor also played a part by allowing this to happen, and providing us with a platform on which to do this on - so thanks for that as well.

A big THANK YOU also to those who took the time out of their evening to cast the live games. Props to Headhunter for streaming this on his Twitch account too!

The winners this time were TEAM 5 - which coincidentally contains the main event host. Nevertheless well done to team 5.

KAI | NADEY | SKILL | GUNSTAR | DANK POTATO

Fun fact: Kai also had the most kills throughout the tournament scoring 206!

The runners up (First losers) were TEAM 6

Danny | Brandon | Maj | Captain Jama | Pasickle

Fun Fact: Pasickle died more times than he killed!

A big hand to those guys. It is a pity that Pasickle was unable to play in the last matches, but I'll address that later.

The Semi-Finalists were TEAM 8 and TEAM 7

Eagle | Cheekyie | Akame | Desi | Joji 

Extinct | Pluto | MiniColossus | GingerPopper | Lupha

For the further list of useless losers who didn't quite make it to the semi, a link to a spreadsheet can be found at the bottom of this post. 

Fun Fact: Fluxy has never made it to a Semi Final!

Please take a moment to review the Single map records:

SINGLE MAP RECORDS PLAYER(S) AMOUNT
Most Kills Kai & Danny 37
Least Kills Akame 2
Most Assists Mini, Desi & Vemix 9
Most Deaths Miknor, OLE, Revan,
Rhyse, Akame & Joji
Least Deaths Drake 5
Highest ADR Kai 164
Lowest ADR Akame 25
Best KD Extinct 4.67
Worst KD Akame 0.11
Highest FED Eagle 91
Most Clutch Kills Nick 6

Some of those stats are quite incredible. Akame had a bad day with just 2 kills, while Extinct had a great game with a K/D of over 4.

Discussion time!

Many of you consider this to be the worst ESL ever. Kai and I will listen to the things you think made it be bad, but we don't appreciate a select few of you purposefully going out of your way to make the situation worse, especially when the event is live. The basic feedback that is taken from this is that there were probably too many teams, but more importantly, teams full of people nobody knew or people who didn't have the usual standard of commitment we have come to expect from these tournaments. We get that and hopefully on the next one, the organisers will enforce something to prevent this from happening. It seemed to upset quite a few people. 

Secondly I'd like to suggest that Pasickle is banned from the next OB tournament, whatever that might be. Constant abuse to the hosts throughout the live running of an event is not on. What's even worse is raiding the stream room to do it. Nope. You can sit on the naughty step for a bit until you learn not be a juvenile perisher. 

Thunder also gets a mention here for posting the IP of the game server in the Twitch chat. You know from previous experience that doing so often disrupts live games. Don't be a dick please. 

Wrap up:

- Next time we have regulars

- Stream it on the OB Twitch (I understand why that wasn't possible)

- Set clearer rules that cannot be disputed

- Allow greater time deliberation when deciding teams

- Hosts don't participate - that seemed to rustle quite a few jimmies 

LINK TO FULL STATS: STATS

Edited by Mintlou

You summed up the tournament really well but there's one thing I would like to see added to future tournaments.

There should be a predetermined pool of replacements for each skill rank or set of skill ranks. If you get the 'worst' player in a pool then tough shit, that's the way it goes. If there are no available replacements in the correct pool then the match should be rescheduled. If there hasn't been a notice for absence, a replacement from a lower skilled pool should be taken or result in a forfeit of that match. This way there can be no arguments about what replacement is and isn't fair and players who don't turn up punish their team.

Poor quality picture, but thanks to; lk, Veng3nce, Fluxy, Jamie and our replacement Twitzoh in the last game for making these games enjoyable. 

E903SKI.jpg

Spoiler

Image result for sudocrem

6SSkIei.jpg

Danny really fucked us on Overpass

Edited by Hobbsyy

2 hours ago, Veng3nce said:

You summed up the tournament really well but there's one thing I would like to see added to future tournaments.

There should be a predetermined pool of replacements for each skill rank or set of skill ranks. If you get the 'worst' player in a pool then tough shit, that's the way it goes. If there are no available replacements in the correct pool then the match should be rescheduled. If there hasn't been a notice for absence, a replacement from a lower skilled pool should be taken or result in a forfeit of that match. This way there can be no arguments about what replacement is and isn't fair and players who don't turn up punish their team.

This is a great idea but you can guarantee people will still be angry if their replacement is like 10% worse lol.

43 minutes ago, VENGA BUS said:

This is a great idea but you can guarantee people will still be angry if their replacement is like 10% worse lol.

Another alternative could be allowing teams to choose even/slightly higher skilled replacements but at a massive disadvantage, such as 8 rounds forfeited to the other team. Would you rather play with someone 10% worse or start the game having already lost the first half?

Teams are NEVER going to be fair in an OB tournament, this is something that I just can't understand why some people don't understand.

This isn't professional CS, where a team ranked #15 can easily defeat a team ranked #5 if they have a good day. The skill gap in OB is large, it's a community, there are players who are better than other players every single day of the year.

We've tried:
-Grouping everyone by CS rank - and ensuring each team has the same amount of ranks
-Grouping everyone by CS rank - then adapting some ranks who may be too high or too low, as MM ranks can sometimes be distorting
-Ranking players from 1-40 on our opinion, then using a sound system to ensure each team has a fair number
-Ranking players from 1-40 on our opinion, coupled with the opinion of those who know the OB competitive scene very well
-Even having captains just pick their own team

Each and every time, people will moan that teams are unfair. I've given the reason for that above - another possibility is that there's an uneven amount of 'very high' skilled players in the community, so often - two or three teams can have 2 very high skilled players while another team only has one.

I guarantee if people put time into getting to know their team, practising, learning nades together, working out the best maps, instead of moaning that 'I've only got a supreme, while they have a global' - you could easily win.

This was more about the fundamental teams which get picked, not gonna get into the subs cos I don't really know what happened.

The team with Dank Potato won obviously something had to have gone wrong. But I also agree with what Lewis said. Maybe as well as have longer to decide teams we can also have more preparation with teams to learn how to work together and play best together instead of just one night.

Edited by Dank Potato

Next team picks will be as following: Prior to the ESL tournament we will have a 1v1 tournament which is mandatory if you want to participate to the ESL 5v5 tourney. The 1v1 tournament will  be played out and according to that we will get a "rank" for each individual. And the team picks will be done with those rankings.  Of course we will seed every player beforehand so we won't have cases where the #1 player will play the #2 player already in the second round. It think it's quite a unique way and has never done before.

Also the problem was not unbalanced teams, the main problem was that the host of the tournament got to choose his own stand-in (and enemy stand-in). Whether you like it or not, it's going to be bias.

Edited by Oldmike