IrishChamp

Let's talk about Music

Good idea for a thread from @YoungGerald

This is different from the "What are you listening to now" thread, in that we're here to actually discuss music and artists we like. 

Don't be afraid to still post links to music here, but talk about the music - why you like it, that you saw them live and they were great, why this is your favourite album. 

DON'T POST MUSIC WITHOUT ANY COMMENT

SERIOUS DISCUSSION ONLY PLEASE

Alright, this opinion is actually the reason I wanted a thread like this to exist.

Yeezus is Kanye Wests 2nd Best Project.

Kanye's 2013 Project is definitely his most polarizing project some clear evidence of this would be Pitchforks 2013 Readers Post Poll, the results of this poll revealed that the project was voted "The Most Overrated Album of the Year" and "The Most Underrated Album of the Year".

Kanye's production on this album was absolutely phenomenal, but I feel like it takes a certain type of music listener to appreciate it's maximalism, the production is overwhelming and that's exactly what Yeezy wanted it to be an overwhelming polarizing beautiful mess. It sounds as if Kanye took what he learned from MBDTF (his best project arguably) and 808's & Heartbreaks and completely distressed it, the features add to this attack of your ears perfectly, He chose people like Kid Cudi and Frank Ocean with soul-chilling voices to blend perfectly in the in your face production. Take a song like "I Am A God", where he raps about Loyalty, Respect, Threesomes and of course fucking Crossaints he does this with such urgency and aggression, the song is littered with deafening screams that are only able to stop when Kanye stops. In Kanye's mind being a God sounds stressful as fuck.

TL;DR GIVE YEEZUS A TRY TAKE A DIFFERENT APPROACH

Edited by YoungGerald

R&B, Blues and Rap are my favourite genres. 

Daniel Caesar, Joji and Tyler the creator are at the top. 

Music is a thing I can't live without (not physically of course you for all you fucks) The fact that I crave music whilst at college shows how much it actually impacts you. I sit there and just tap my fingers to the beat as I keep it on replay in my head. It's incredible how attached you get to a certain genre or artist, you begin to almost need it as a regular pill or some shit. It's also very therapeutic and that's a great thing, after a bad day you can come back, relax and begin listening to that one voice that causes you too get goosebumps all over your body.

@YoungGerald I've been meaning to actively listen through every Kanye album at some point so whenever that point comes I'll listen to Yeezus with an open mind and let you know how I feel.

My current opinion of it is that it was an album of experimental stuff that I didn't hate. I probably revisit it least out of all of Kanye's albums because there's no songs in it I deem essential to my Kanye collection. I enjoyed the album, but it didn't have any sticking power with me and I don't ever crave any of the songs on it tbh.

Brockhampton released Saturation III.

I've been listening to Boogie, I do hope he grows big 

But brockhampton is pretty great, they're having fun making music, you can hear that from the album they pushed out 

Edited by ҉NuclearGamer