Rory

What is your most controversial opinion?

5 hours ago, Chris Lord said:

You can't conflate "There was a longer, more difficult peace process that MIGHT'VE worked" with "Violence wasn't necessary". If a group of people are being oppressed and discriminated against then it is their right to take up arms against their oppressors.

Strictly speaking, the peaceful resistance in India got us out quicker and more thoroughly than the long, long conflict of violence in Ireland.

Violence usually begets more violence, unless there is a way to overwhelmingly win. This path was not available to Irish republicans, given British conventional military superiority.

Also: Naruto might actually just be for kids??? I'm not sure rn

11 minutes ago, VENGA BUS said:

Strictly speaking, the peaceful resistance in India got us out quicker and more thoroughly than the long, long conflict of violence in Ireland.

Violence usually begets more violence, unless there is a way to overwhelmingly win. This path was not available to Irish republicans, given British conventional military superiority.

Also: Naruto might actually just be for kids??? I'm not sure rn

I'm not 100% sure on the specifics so I could be wrong but the most intuitively it was probably easier and seen as more valuable to keep Ireland than to keep India.

Again my knowledge isn't 100% as I haven't studied this topic outside of GCSE History (which I passed) but I'm fairly confident the troubles started because of murders during peaceful protest if this was also true in India you can correct me but as far as I'm aware any attempt at working things out peacefully in Ireland was pretty much met with a 'no fuck you' by the British government. As for the overwhelmingly winning I'd actually argue that the guerrilla tactics used by the IRA were incredibly successful.

Of course a peaceful process will always be better and we'll never know how for sure how that would've worked out in Ireland's case but from what I know it seems like the troubles were an inevitable time bomb.

you're completely wrong about naruto tho you fucking idiot

Edited by Chris Lord

@Chris Lord I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm literally making no reference to the troubles. I'm talking about the war of Independence that went from 1916 to the 20s. 

Most of Ireland was relatively happy, and people were actually initially annoyed at the rebels for this rising which destroyed most of Dublin city centre. Public opinion changed when the British made the (completely idiotic) decision to execute the rebels. Ever since then there has been a divide within Ireland. 

You and @Rory seem to think I'm saying that violence in the North wasn't necessary. I didn't say a word about the North. I just don't think a bunch of rebels, who if they hadn't been successful would today be referred to as "terrrorists", were the right people to achieve Irish independence.

9 hours ago, Finnley said:

Is that a controversial opinion? I feel like that's almost fact really...

Yeah I think it's as close to fact as an opinion can get but there are plenty ultra left bongheads out there that think smoking weed has completely 0 negative effects.

I made that comment on the toilet smoking a joint out the window so I can't say I'm biased either. 

45 minutes ago, Chris Lord said:

so subtle that it caused you to quit ts and whatsapp?

:thinking:

I wish I could say it's because of trolling because that would mean I would get over it but it's really down to lack on interest.

Still love a good forum though, always have.

3 minutes ago, Chris Lord said:

so we'll see you when jailbreak restarts? got it

32/32 JB holds some of my fondest memories of gaming. So yeah if it ever did come back like that (Which is won't) I probably would come back properly.