Rory

OB's thoughts on Nintendo Switch

Nintendo's latest release has really caught my eye due to the sheer quality of games on offer.

Over the years I have moved away from Nintendo but I can't ignore some of the most critically acclaimed games of all time are coming out on this portable unit.

I have saw many well reasoned claims stating that Zelda BOTW is the best Zelda game of all time and Mario Oddesey is the same for the Mario franchise.

These games alone would make me buy a switch but seeing that Rocket League, DOOM and Skyrim are all coming to the platform makes me even more hype.

What are your thoughts on the switch OB? It seems to me that Nintendo are starting to smash it on quality once again.

30 minutes ago, w33zy said:

i bought a switch abouth a month ago, i really like it. Mario and BotW are both 9/10 games for me.

Cant wait for rocket league also smash them noobs.

BIG NT

The best handheld console for me is still the gameboy advance sp. It has a special place in my heart. Th switch is great though, the only thing I don't like is the plastic screen, that's the only thing I would change.

1 hour ago, Mintlou said:

Not enough games for it right now. The ones they do have are overpriced. 

I thought that on the switch release but by Christmas the library will be extensive enough that it would be worth getting.

I suppose it comes down to how much you like Nintendo's existing franchises as 3rd party developers haven't got into their stride for it yet.

Not sure what you mean by overpriced though, I think 80% off steam sales have blinded you or something lol.

37 minutes ago, Chris Lord said:

Switch games are needlessly overpriced. Mintlou is right @Rory. Nintendo have always done this.

Idk. Paying 48 for the best Zelda game of all time wouldn't make me bat an eye lid.

I can see what you are both saying though, it just does not bother me because I see the value.

(Digital download codes on consoles have always tended to be the same price if not a good bit more expensive- Obviously I think that has always been dumb as fuck but it's not an Nintendo problem)

Edited by Rory

28 minutes ago, Rory said:

Idk. Paying 48 for the best Zelda game of all time wouldn't make me bat an eye lid.

I can see what you are both saying though, it just does not bother me because I see the value.

(Digital download codes on consoles have always tended to be the same price if not a good bit more expensive- Obviously I think that has always been dumb as fuck but it's not an Nintendo problem)

Nintendo are notorious for under stocking in order to inflate prices. They do it with everything. There are other things contributing to the switch game cost but Nintendo have always been anti-consumer. 

61f0826547.jpg

Download codes are the same price or more in order to not compete with retail stores, I'm sure you know that already Rory but that's for anyone else reading. This is enforced by Nintendo, you have to sell for the same price.

So when Nintendo creates incredibly expensive cartridges that come at preset sizes, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and you're a game developer and you're game ends up being 8.5GB, oh you've gotta buy our 16GB cartridges now, yup you're gonna have to increase your games price to make up for that, and the digital download too bub >:)).

When it comes to Nintendo's own games they do this bullshit ALWAYS. High prices and understock to create artificial scarcity, the most EXTREME example of this is Amiibos, shitty, badly made and designed plastic figures which have minor functionality with games that cost £20~30. Basically fuck Nintendo. If there is a way to pirate games on the switch then I might buy one second hand in the future.

tl;dr Because of the nature of digital retail and games Nintendo can abuse supply and demand by creating artificial scarcity, having their products at sky high prices only to bring them down in the future to the price they should have ORIGINALLY BEEN on release. Furthermore the gaming media ALWAYS make articles about how it's so expensive blah blah and give Nintendo free advertising. Fuck Nintendo.

ps. it's not the best zelda game of all time u fucking retard

443323.jpg

Edited by Chris Lord

50 minutes ago, Chris Lord said:

ps. it's not the best zelda game of all time u fucking retard

443323.jpg

it's literally incomplete with one third of the game making you sail from one side of the map to the other over and over again, If it wasn't such a rush job then maybe I would consider it because I love the aesthetics.

Try Majoras Mask if you want a contender. (Which is coincidentally a massive rush job from Nintendo too)

To address what you are saying about limiting supply yeah it has been something I have noticed over my years with Nintendo, most notably the WII around it's Christmas release was almost fucking impossible to get. 

I just don't feel like I am loosing out as a consumer when I buy these games. Some of them are works of art in my eyes. (Thats the Nintendo fanboy coming through) 

Edited by Rory