Kai

New Server Ideas

While Jailbreak is being reworked, I think Outbreak should have another server temporarily which can be used as a test to see if it will be populated and if it can bring people into the community. It might be able to stick around as a new server if it is popular enough. These ideas could be much easier to set up than Jailbreak, making them better for a temporary server to test the popularity. Even if the server isn't populated by random players, it could still be something for the community to play.

Community servers within CS, such as Jailbreak, Surf or Minigames, are not as popular as they used to be, but servers which people use to warmup on are still very popular, like Deathmatch, Retakes and Arenas. People still play CS and as long as they do, they will most likely need some server to warmup on.

A major factor which stops these servers from being created is that they do not bring new people into the community. People will go onto a Deathmatch server, warmup and then leave. However, I think that if people were to come onto, for example, a 1v1 Arena server, and see that lots of players are wearing the Outbreak Member tag, they would be more inclined to look into joining the community, especially if the members are talking on the server and making it enjoyable for everyone.

There has been many times when I have been playing on a retake or 1v1 server with my good friends from Outbreak and it would only be better if the rest of the players on these servers were other people from Outbreak too.

These are the ideas that I think could be used:

1v1 Arenas - People face a single opponent and proceed to the next arena or fall into the previous one depending on if they win or lose. This could be a good idea for a temporary server as it is not as competitive as a Retake, it is slower paced, and people can play on it for extended periods of time if there is a wide variety of maps. I have also seen people on 1v1 servers having nice conversations even when there is 30+ people on it. For example, if someone were to come onto an Outbreak 1v1 server and hear people having a nice conversation, they would be more inclined to want to be a part of the community themselves. Moderators would have to be around often to prevent the voice chat from getting too out of control and to keep the server enjoyable. Another feature that could be added to a 1v1 Arena server is a leaderboard, just like the one on Minigames. Players would gain and lose points for getting kills or dying. At the end of the week, some of the top players for that week could be awarded credits or some other kind of prize. 

Retakes - The round starts as the terrorists plant the bomb and the counter-terrorists have to retake the site and defuse. I personally enjoy playing Retakes as there are different types of players that you can find on Retake servers. Some people take it more seriously and give callouts to act as if they were playing a comp, while others just play for fun and to meet new people. I even have a video of me and someone I met on retake just playing and having fun, so this can definitely be a server which could bring new players into the community.

Community Aim Maps - This would be a large aim map with 2 teams, up to 12 or 16 players, with people being able to use a menu to pick which rifle they want to use. As for the respawning system, there are 2 ways in which it could go: Unlimited respawns, until the timer runs down. This might make it harder for people to communicate as there will be lots of people fighting eachother all the time. This could be overcome by having a round system with 1 life each, so people could talk in dead chat and there wouldn't be bullets flying constantly. After looking into servers like these I found that both unlimited respawns and one life are used.

01l2Wzw.jpg

*map $2000$_csgo

Team Deathmatch - This idea isn't like the typical Valve Deathmatch. This would be played on a custom map, with all players having 1 life and spawning together, so both teams can fight in the middle of the map every round. I know that there were games like this on our Minigames server, the "War" game was just like this. With a variety of different maps, this game mode could be enjoyable and can encourage communication between all players, members and randoms.

ZEagzOz.jpg

*Pistol gamemode from map mg_swag_multigames_v7

Random Weapon FFA - Obviously, this idea would be a free-for-all. A random weapon is decided at the beginning of the round and all players are given it and dropped into a relatively small map. This gamemode would much resemble the mg_weapon_case_arenas map that was on our Minigames server, except all players will be against eachother. This also would not be extremely fast paced like a normal Deathmatch, players would slow walk around in order to win while others in dead chat could use that time to talk.

Hunger Games/Battle Royale - This gamemode spawns all players around the edge of a map, with random weapons placed throughout the map, and the weapons get better as you get closer to the centre of the map. Every couple of minutes the map gets smaller and smaller, eventually pushing the remaining players to the middle. From my experience, most players on Hunger Games servers talk to eachother while they play. A leaderboard could also be implemented into this, showing how many times people have won or how many kills they have.

mRshoML.jpg

*map br_electrified

To be honest, I came into this community because I saw people on the servers who I thought were funny and the kind of people I'd get along with. I like this community, and I enjoyed playing on Jailbreak and Minigames with people within it even when these servers started to die. I would like to play on a server filled with people from OB again, and these are just some suggestions which haven't been tried out before.

Please let me know what you think of each of the ideas and give reasons for why you agree/disagree.

Edited by Kai

This is a great idea, I think you're on to something here. With CSGO removing emphasis on community servers we, as a community, need to reach out to the CSGO player base and bring them into the community player base. Having a server filled with Outbreak members would be great however this is also my main concern, we've hardly been able to do this with our current servers so why would these new ones be any different?

I think it's good that you try to come up with ideas for the community, but unfortunately all of these ideas are nothing new. We have been thinking about what kinds of servers can serve Outbreak like jailbreak did. Frankly, none of the server-types that you listed will work as well.

First of all, most people in Outbreak don't really want to play CS:GO community games anymore. The competitive side of CS:GO is still played, while any server we've launched in the past dies in about two weeks, because we are just bored of the gamemode. The moment members stop playing on an almost brand new server, the server will never create a returning audience, which means it dies.

Second, 1v1- retake- and aimservers will probably never result in new members. There are hundreds of these kinds of servers and none of them have a community like Outbreak behind them. Some of them do have forums, but they're still completely different kinds of communities. On top of that, like you said, people play this to warm-up and then they're gone. I don't even see any current members playing this for more than an hour in one sitting.

Third, in the long run we want servers to be self-supplient in a way. Eventually people need to donate at least the amount the server costs to run every month. The only way people will donate, is when there is some kind of benefit you get from donating (credit shop jailbreak).

If any server in the future will be launched, it needs to be server that can bring people back over and over again, it needs to be a server that is unique in the Outbreak way and it needs to be able to make some money in the long run. I would like to see if people have more ideas, just note that we (as a staffteam) have thought about a lot already, but usually we come to the conclusion that it will not work.

TL;DR:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Finnley said:

I think it's good that you try to come up with ideas for the community, but unfortunately all of these ideas are nothing new. We have been thinking about what kinds of servers can serve Outbreak like jailbreak did. Frankly, none of the server-types that you listed will work as well.

First of all, most people in Outbreak don't really want to play CS:GO community games anymore. The competitive side of CS:GO is still played, while any server we've launched in the past dies in about two weeks, because we are just bored of the gamemode. The moment members stop playing on an almost brand new server, the server will never create a returning audience, which means it dies.

Second, 1v1- retake- and aimservers will probably never result in new members. There are hundreds of these kinds of servers and none of them have a community like Outbreak behind them. Some of them do have forums, but they're still completely different kinds of communities. On top of that, like you said, people play this to warm-up and then they're gone. I don't even see any current members playing this for more than an hour in one sitting.

Third, in the long run we want servers to be self-supplient in a way. Eventually people need to donate at least the amount the server costs to run every month. The only way people will donate, is when there is some kind of benefit you get from donating (credit shop jailbreak).

If any server in the future will be launched, it needs to be server that can bring people back over and over again, it needs to be a server that is unique in the Outbreak way and it needs to be able to make some money in the long run. I would like to see if people have more ideas, just note that we (as a staffteam) have thought about a lot already, but usually we come to the conclusion that it will not work.

TL;DR:

giphy.gif

How do you know it doesn't work if you haven't tried it. BUILD THE SERVER OR RIOT!!!!!

Edited by Pasickle

Does it actually matter about what people we bring in at the moment? We have a good set of core members now, around 30 people at all times. Why not just throw up a sever for them? Mintlou proved you can get a stable surf server up in a matter of hours, so why not give the players you have around now something they want especially when you have a dedi box, because apart from the recent mini games server what else has actually changed/happend?