Sign in to follow this  
Eagle

What do you think of pistols?

17 minutes ago, Vemix said:

Not like Valve is going to listen to a community about it so why bother.

Just interested to hear the opinions of others

Chill

I think pistols are fine, I'm happy with them also. I guess at times I've expressed frustration at dying to them, but a couple of points I suggest you consider:

1) It's not a seclusive element of the game to a certain few. The simplistic concept of 'Anything you can do, I can do'. You have the opportunity to purchase the exact same pistol which your enemy did, and do the exact same damage. Furthering that, considering aim in this game isn't 'RNG' despite what some may say, the better players should prosper in this entirely equal element of the game.

2) If you play CORRECTLY against pistols (presuming everyone in the server is of equal skill, as is the case in matchmaking) you should win that round 80% of the time versus force and 95+% vs p250s no armour. Employing a style which is incorrect versus pistols opens it up to, on average, I'd say 60-40, with the opportunity for pistols to win. Think about how you play, and how rounds are lost. Going into apartments on inferno, playing close ramp on nuke, rushing lower on dust2 (sovman) - these are legitimate strategies on rifle vs rifle, but how rounds are lost against close range pistols. Take the advantage which the pistol has (close range damage) and nullify it. 7 flashes out long on dust2, AK jumps into pit, 4 SMGs charge forward with a smoke for the cross and multiple HE's/molotovs for the site - how is that round lost 50% of the time? It isn't. Splitting up as 5 up short, in tunnels, by yourself at long doors - how is that round lost 50% of the time? Go figure.

3) Moving on from that, SMGs are a direct counter to pistols, one of the reasons they were buffed. You can run and spray with them, with a pistol you can only run and tap, who's more likely to kill? Who's more likely to multi-kill? You can put 10+ p90 bullets into someone with a p250 before they can even shoot two, and who's to say those two bullets are even going to hit? If they do, you should have another SMG right behind you.

4) Pistols need to be powerful to make the game interesting. The aspect of 1.6 where, if the pistol was won, it was literally a guaranteed 3-0 was dull. There needs to be opportunity to recover in a map, and not instantly lose 6 rounds from the pistols based off the smallest elements of just some unlucky timing or one round changing shot. From what I've seen recently anyway, 3-0's are becoming more common as teams approach these rounds more methodically, flawless eco wins harder to come by than they were in 2015.

5) Arguably the bigger problem lies with scout/pistol combination. The fact you can buy a scout just by getting one kill in a lost pistol, hit someone for 72, leaving them vulnerable to just 1-2 body shots from a pistol. Regardless, I think the gun in itself works fine, perhaps it could just be slightly more expensive for what it offers. Somewhere between 2k-2.4k? 

6) Valve have always expressed desire to make a 'balanced' game, as I've said in the past. This is why all guns, shotguns, snipers, rifles, pistols, SMGs - are all legitimately viable weapons to use in competitive matchmaking. It goes further than simply having the pistol as a strong gun, the strength of the pistol to be ABLE to grab a few frags on gun rounds, even if you don't win, keeps the enemies economy down and stops it getting out of control, stopping stomps basically. Hence the increased $ when on a losing streak of rounds, I believe they want to make it easier for you to recover in a game. 

7) I realised that most of this was aimed at countering CT pistols. Same concepts apply if you're a CT facing T pistols. An instant molotov in your position stops the first rush, allows you to get into position if they decide to rush once it goes. Play long distance so you can't be one tapped. Deagle? Start playing more off angles, I'm not gonna go into how to play CS, but if you're regularly getting one tapped by deagles when playing against eco you're going about it the wrong way, it isn't just unlucky.

TL;DR - Pistols are OP if approached incorrectly, largely in matchmaking. Utilise a game plan distinct from that of versus rifles, with more methodical clearing of hiding spots with grenades, tighter pack mentality when attacking bombsites (you don't need someone lurking against pistols, to risk throwing away 5k of equipment - ((brandon) and gravitating to more open areas, rather than areas where the single greatest advantage of the pistol can prosper. Maybe this came across as a guide on how to counter pistols, but it's simply a way of showing that there are many aspects of the game which allow you to counter them - pistol power isn't immovable. What is immovable is how most people employ the exact same approach vs pistols as against rifles.

Edited by Lewis

12 hours ago, Oldmike said:

Lewis, anything can be countered and be played against in a "proper" manner but that's not the point here. I don't have many problems with pistols at all. However, i do think pistols that can 1 tap (apart from deagle/r8) do not belong in a counter strike game.

It is the point when your argument against pistols is that they 'one tap close range' - don't fall into close range then, lol.

As for one tapping pistols 'not belonging' in csgo, i disagree, with the other points I mentioned.

Edited by Lewis

1 minute ago, Lewis said:

It is the point when your argument against pistols is that they 'one tap close range' - don't fall into close range then, lol

My argument is that pistols shouldn't be able to 1 tap no matter the range. It's a bit silly that a 300$ pistol can 1 tap but not a 3100$ rifle, don't ya think ? :)

I honestly don't mind the one tap at close range... but the tec9 man, the fucking tec9. That gun can go suck a huge dick. There needs to be a lot more recoil/spread on the pistols IMO as well as the rate of fire greatly reduced on the tec9.

Edited by Jamie