Sign in to follow this  
M1nt-l0u

Why you should consider AMD's RYZEN CPU for your next build

People often don't like change, I'm one of them. Intel have been dominating the CPU market for about the last 10 years or so. AMD has meanwhile been struggling to the point where no one could ever imagine them coming back. For Intel, this means they could produce chips that are only very slightly better than the previous generation, as there was no competition. They had the monopoly. Not anymore.

AMD is back. 

I did a comparison of my current CPU vs the equivalent of what Intel could provide me with today.

I have an Intel i5 3570K @3.4 GHz 

Intel's current gen CPU closest to that is the i5-7500 @3.4 GHz 

It's about £20 more expensive than the 3570 I bought in 2012 priced at £175 today.

ZZh2jxl.jpg

The difference in performance is minimal. Not even 1000 points difference in five years of product releases. 

Let's compare that with the equivalently priced (£169) AMD CPU of today:

YELyIyg.jpg

The difference is greater. A much bigger jump from team AMD than team Intel here. This comparison is just what I have, it gets even better at the high end stuff. Better still, AMD has a new product coming out soon named THREADRIPPER, it's essentially 2 CPUs glued together, but it trumps what Intel has to offer for about $700 less.

These comparisons are not black and white. There will be tasks which favour each chip, but in terms of multi-core task crunching, it seems AMD are putting up a much better fight than we're used to.

Competition is back, and you should be a part of it. Get buying AMD chips and force Intel to innovate and make something worth buying - because the i9 range is a total knee-jerk reaction that just doesn't cut it.

Good post, sad thing is that the highest end Ryzen 7 actually costs more than intel's i7-7700k or around the same in Bulgaria (for smr, probably because the Ryzen 7 1800x came out just a few months ago). Ryzen is better if you plan to do multiple things like streaming and gaming while the i7 series obviously has (on average) a better gaming performance (it's to be expected for the higher price, but the 4 core limitation and less threads makes multicore tasks slower), but I do agree that intel have shat the bucket and the entire i9 thing is a sad panic release that frankly, you are better off with a ryzen 7 or i7 (or even Ryzen 5 or intel core i5) for much less money than the failure that is the i9 (plus all of these CPU's are beasts at the moment). But for an i5 vs a Ryzen 5, AMD easily win for price to performance ratio (the Ryzen 5 1600x). Hopefully Intel will finally start to manifacture better cpu's that are atleast worthy of the massive price increase from the last generation, but we will see.

Here are videos showcasing all of the CPU's:

But again, with those 2 CPUs, this is the result of £7 difference: 

That isn't even their highest end Ryzen, but the one closest by price and it owns it.

78OEUyI.jpg

I think that Intel will soon start to add more cores to their CPUs (if they can),  as they still win on single-core performance. 

Edited by Mintlou

Yeah the Ryzen 7 has better all around performance, intel just has a leg up on gaming, although it is something like 2-3 fps, the Ryzen is just a better rounded cpu in genral, as for intel making cpu's with more cores and threads the new i7-7820x and i7-800x both sport 8 cores and 16 threads, but are ofcourse ridiculously priced (and are also a part of the High end CPU mark of Intel), overall buy an AMD CPU as it is cheaper (in most cases) and offers roughly the same and in some cases better all around performance. Sadly though in Bulgaria AMD CPU's are actually barely retailed and sold, but this shouldn't be a problem for many other countries.

Here is a site that shows the i7-7700k vs the i7-7820x:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core--i7-7820X/3647vs3928

And here is a video that showcases all of the new intel CPU's after the entire uprise of AMD, it seems that intel have the right idea, but the execution leaves much to be desired. Hopefully in a few years they start releasing high end CPU's that can rival AMD in both performance and price.

Edited by GingerPopper

5 minutes ago, Mintlou said:

Whilst this is mainly about AMD VS Intel, it is also a point about how slow Intel's development cycle has been for the last few years. My 5 year old CPU is still nearly as good as their 2017 version. That's pathetic. 

I agree, the reason for that is that Intel had no actual competitors for these past couple of years, the difference between an i5 and i7 is surprisingly small (although I will say that i3 are complete garbage, no offence to anyone if you are using it, but it's true). Honestly if they continue spewing out the same shit Intel and AMD will just switch places after time.

Just waiting on the last part for my build and I decided to go with the 1600 because the extra cores and threads, really looking forward to using it when the motherboard arrives tomorrow.

Edited by JamesG

I'm really undecided whether I should get the 7700k or the 1700x.

I've seen a few benchmarks and it seems too inconsistent. One one of the videos I saw, the 1700x was getting it's arse kicked by about 30 - 40 fps. But then on a different video the biggest difference was around 25 fps but in most games the difference was ~5fps.

Here is 1700x getting ass whooped

And here it is with much better results

Halp my mind is getting gangbaned...

57 minutes ago, Twiixtor said:

I've seen a few benchmarks and it seems too inconsistent. One one of the videos I saw, the 1700x was getting it's arse kicked by about 30 - 40 fps. But then on a different video the biggest difference was around 25 fps but in most games the difference was ~5fps.

Get 1

2 hours ago, Twiixtor said:

Ofcs it depends if a game is more CPU or GPU dependant, also Ryzen is better for all in all purposes while 7700k is much better overall for gaming, depends what you want really. If you plan to only game and the price difference doesn't bother you go for the 7700k, if you plan to do more shit like streaming aswell or video editing the 1700x (on average) is a bit better.

I would personally wait now for Intel's new coffee lake processors, the i5 and i7 will be all hexacores. They will be released somewhere this year. Let's see what Intel's answer is to Ryzen.