Jak

Vegetarianism

I have nothing against vegans. I'm not a vegan. I love my chicken. But I feel like having a vegan GF would be annoying af.

what would i know about it anyway never had a gf feelsbadman

8 hours ago, Doomblade94 said:

On a serious note, I do not indulge in vegetarianism. Humans are omnivores; we need vegetables, don't get me wrong, but we also need meat. I've never really heard the argument as to why meat is bad for you. If someone here is a vegetarian or knows about the logic behind said habits, I'd like to hear what they believe about meat.

It's not that 'meat is bad for you'. I don't believe that vegetarianism makes you healthier, what you eat makes you healthier and you can be both unhealthy and healthy on a vegetarian and meat-eating diet. Anyway, my reasons behind becoming a vegetarian are mostly ethical, but also partially environmental. Personally I can't justify eating a 99p McDonald's hamburger, for a sentient being's life, spent caged up, in pain, without any freedom and killed a short period into their lives. It doesn't seem fair, the idea of eating meat isn't bad, but we don't need meat for survival and it's a waste of an animals life and resources. It takes a huge amount of resources and physical space to rear livestock and it's just not a sustainable way of eating in the long term with such a fast growing population. If anyone is interested in the environmental side of it all I'd suggest the documentary 'Cowspiracy' on Netflix. 

13 hours ago, Doomblade94 said:

But we also need meat. I've never really heard the argument as to why meat is bad for you. If someone here is a vegetarian or knows about the logic behind said habits, I'd like to hear what they believe about meat.

I'm not a vegetarian, but that's an incorrect statement. Humans don't NEED meat.

We're descendants from apes, who, in both the past and present have a diet MOSTLY consisting of leaves, fruit, nuts etc. Gorillas and Orangutans are entirely vegetarian. 

To shed some light on the negatives - Our body still hasn't evolved properly to eat meat, there's a reason we have to cook chicken and pork until there isn't a speck of blood in sight and then smear it in spices, salt and flavourings to make it taste nice for us. Whereas a lion, a true carnivore, can eat skin and raw freshly killed meat like it's nothing. If you tried to do that you'd get ill very quickly, and probably die if that was your only diet.

I'd personally define us as omnivores in the sense that we 'like' to eat meat and have found a way to do so through intellectual advancement. However, the way we go about eating meat isn't natural to every other carnivore in existence and in preexistence, our digestive system is far much closer to how a herbivores would operate in the grand scheme of things.

Meat can be a good choice because you're effectively eating everything good inside an animal - all it's protein, iron etc. But there are plenty of other ways to get those things - protein in: eggs, beans, cheese, yoghurt, nuts. IDK what you meant by humans needing meat, you're not putting yourself on 1 year death row by becoming veg lol.

There's also been countless studies conducted demonstrating a link with increased consumption of red meat (beef+lamb) and an increased chance of developing bowel cancer. http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/red-meat.aspx When people talk about meat being bad for you it's red meat - chicken and salmon are probably okay, but it's always good to get your essentials from different foods for the best possible diet. It'd be healthier overall to have chicken 4x a week and then veg 3x a week than chicken 7x a week for sure.

tl;dr - We aren't natural omnivores, red meat isn't good for you, don't need meat to live.

@Fluxy Watched a bit of that documentary, hilarious.

Thought of the day from me after watching a bit of that (basically 2067 and meat eating is illegal, elderly people shamed for their past)

If the whole world became vegan - surely you'd have to kill off all the sheep, cows, pigs and chickens anyway. Nobody would pay for the upkeep of billions of these animals which would be serving absolutely no purpose in the world.

Also they'd have no chance of survival in the wild after years of domestication. It would completely mess up the food chain everywhere. Carnivores would hunt these helpeless creatures and all other herbivores would prosper far too much, in turn probably turning weak due to lack of predator threat. 

In that sense vegeterianism makes a lot of sense, killing animals in the manner we do is cruel. But veganism is a whole other concept, by completely stripping the animal of everything they serve, in turn vegans are advocating a world in which all these animals will be killed off and have no life or heritage :)

Edited by Lewis