Jak

Vegetarianism

Actual serious post.

There isn't really a moral question about it: it's just bad. The sheer suffering for animals which results from the necessary mechanisation of the industry is just staggering, yet there is no real alternative to supply the amount of meat that a growing population wants at the cost it wants. This mechanised route is pretty much the only one you can pursue, presently. We no longer live in 1900, where the world population was around 1.6 billion; for context, the present world population is around 7 billion. This means that we need an awful lot of meat for supply to be at parity with demand. Combine this with stagnating incomes in the first world, and the demand for cheaper meat is probably higher than it's ever been.

This is ignoring the environmental impact of deforestation for farms, as well as the contribution cattle make towards global warming (legit by farting). Regardless of your stance on global warming, deforestation and the destruction of natural habitats for the sake of the aforementioned 99p burger is pretty awful, as well as the land needed to grow the grain for growing cattle. Given that there are fears of food shortages in Asia due to the booming population, this prioritisation of meat production over human needs is pretty untenable, especially given how awfully most of those animals will be treated.

That said, I do eat meat. As DannyS said, it's one of those things I know is bad, but I enjoy it too much to pass it up.

I think the advent of artificially cultivated meat is really interesting. If this can get the cost down (after time and process enhancement), as well as severely reduce the land and water required to rear livestock, then we can have the best of both worlds. A great source of iron, protein etc. without the moral quandary of pretty much torturing our food-source. Artificial meat could also open up some pretty interesting questions for Muslims/Jews/Hindus (the former and latter whom make up like 30-40% of the world's population): is it haram to eat artificial bacon? Would Hindus be OK eating the holy cow, given that no holy cow has been slaughtered to eat it?

Legit do find this topic pretty interesting.

Edited by VENGA BUS

I try to buy free-range meat, eggs, milk, sustainably farmed fish, etc whenever possible. I know it doesn't stop the problem as a whole but even on a student budget I would rather pay extra for the supposedly better treatment of animals. 

If you want to talk about the ethical side of it then you have to realize the human race is pretty morally fucked up. We pretend to care about things when they are in the spotlight, but as soon as things aren't being shoved in people's faces every 5 seconds then the majority seems to not care anymore.

I'm just wouldn't want to eat like a rabbit the rest of my life, I'm an Alfa meat eating animal. As much as I like salad and veg, I couldn't eat it as a lone meal, greens compliment the meat, but they don't make the meal for me.

I've sat and watched programmes about how bad animals are treated/kept while eating a bacon sandwich, I might just be numb to it  but it doesn't bother me enough not to eat meat.

316-3.jpg

A very large part of the damage done by global meat consumption is the deforestation to just grow the food for the animals to eat. Any of you who have done biology at school may recognise this as an "ecological pyramid", I believe it also goes by other names. The sheer amount of calories eaten by animals is completely disproportionate to the amount we as humans gain from them.

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/beef-production-is-killing-the-amazon-rainforest/ [source]

"An estimated 70 percent of deforestation in the Amazon basin can be attributed to cattle ranching." That's a fucking ridiculous amount of trees. Think about the trees bro.

Vegetarianism is definitely morally superior. End of argument.

Although I'll still make jokes mocking them, they're not to be trusted and all have anaemia, fuckn' weirdos.

Becoming vegetarian is someones choice and shouldn't be frowned upon by others as it is their choice and they shouldn't be judged on it. Although meat is needed for the right amount of vitamins in your diet, you can also take vitamin tablets to substitute this in, therefore allowing the people to make their own choice. Although people cattle farming or eating meat is wrong, it wont change as so many people do it as well as many people make a lot of money from it.

Becoming a vegetarian or any other different diet term is someones choice, although some might agree with it, others may not. However there is some point in which the people take it too far. One of which is when "animal rights people" protested in which they branded themselves "like cattle" , like they described it . Yes i understand their point, but don't you agree that this is too far and some what just taking it too far?

Well i have said my point, overall "veges" and "Vegans" have their right to their opinions and diet don't get me wrong, i fully respect that, however when they take it too far then it becomes stupid in how they are trying to convey their point. These people in the video are people who are fighting for animal rights, and yes i agree with them  but only to a certain extent, otherwise we wouldnt have meat in this current age.

Video NSFW: 

11 minutes ago, Toby. said:

Becoming vegetarian is someones choice and shouldn't be frowned upon by others as it is their choice and they shouldn't be judged on it. Although meat is needed for the right amount of vitamins in your diet, you can also take vitamin tablets to substitute this in, therefore allowing the people to make their own choice. Although people cattle farming or eating meat is wrong, it wont change as so many people do it as well as many people make a lot of money from it.

Becoming a vegetarian or any other different diet term is someones choice, although some might agree with it, others may not. However there is some point in which the people take it too far. One of which is when "animal rights people" protested in which they branded themselves "like cattle" , like they described it . Yes i understand their point, but don't you agree that this is too far and some what just taking it too far?

Well i have said my point, overall "veges" and "Vegans" have their right to their opinions and diet don't get me wrong, i fully respect that, however when they take it too far then it becomes stupid in how they are trying to convey their point. These people in the video are people who are fighting for animal rights, and yes i agree with them  but only to a certain extent, otherwise we wouldnt have meat in this current age.

Video NSFW: 

the fuck is that video, i mean i thought people would protest stuff like this, but not that far dude, smh 

Toby, whilst that post contained a lot of verbiage, it contained fucking zero argument.

It is replete with naive ignorance of macroeconomic factors and a grossly reductive interpretation of dietary choices as expression of personal choice without positive or negative externalities generated by those decisions.

Edited by VENGA BUS

5 minutes ago, VENGA BUS said:

Toby, whilst that post contained a lot of verbiage, it contained fucking zero argument.

It is replete with naive ignorance of macroeconomic factors and a grossly reductive interpretation of dietary choices as expression of personal choice without positive or negative externalities generated by those decisions.

I wasn't arguing for either side i was just conveying my opinion.

Wow Toby, I can see that your revision is coming along nicely!  I used to have this book as well.

41HCoOEJkrL._SX356_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My stance on the real subject in question is that on one hand, vegetarianism is good because it does slow meat sales and prevents the needless breeding to die scheme that occurs with many animals. But on the other hand, us as a population are expanding so rapidly, that in order for us to survive we need this to happen. The shitty thing about it is how it is done, battery farming is cruel, just like force feeding and such. Buy free range when possible, don't let food go to waste then at least you don't feel as bad doing it. 

Vitamin tables alone are not the correct way to supplement vitamins into your diet. You should be taking them as part of a balanced diet. There are so many natural alternatives for vitamin and mineral income other than meat. Protein can come from tofu, or coconut water. Beans and nuts give you fibre and iron. All of these answers are a search away online. 

As with any strong life opinion, I don't mind people eating or refusing to eat meat, but don't shove your version of life right down my throat, or we're going to have a bad time talking to each other.

Edited by Mintlou

On 3/28/2017 at 16:35, Rory said:

More meat for me

Unsurprisingly my mind is going straight to the gutter with that one.

On a serious note, I do not indulge in vegetarianism. Humans are omnivores; we need vegetables, don't get me wrong, but we also need meat. I've never really heard the argument as to why meat is bad for you. If someone here is a vegetarian or knows about the logic behind said habits, I'd like to hear what they believe about meat.