Sign in to follow this  
Jamie

[Serious Discussion] [Don't Delete] Return of the Shoutbox?

8 minutes ago, UnSeen said:

Just to put it out there, some of the same people (you might have forgotten or had a change of heart) that are saying 'yeah member+ section, anything to bring it back' are among those who actually said 'rofl not worth it if it's not on front page' when we removed it and were discussing in an open TS channel whether it'd be worth having on a separate page.

It was removed from front page because majority of the content was either flat out picking at others (on a platform where bait/insult isn't easy to tell apart to a lot of people) or used as a NSFW chatbox rather than a shoutbox. If anything it was members who denied its possible existence on another page out of spite.

Not saying yes or no to it yet, but will happily look into what different ways it could be placed and see if we can find something that works for everyone.

Though at the same time, fuck off have you 'all matured and learned from mistakes' xoxo

Should have punished the offenders instead of removing the whole thing, before you say it was way too many people and too difficult to moderate, It was like three different people doing the things you cite as chat box removal reasons.

You can also have it member+ AND on the front page so not really sure how your first point makes sense.

(Unless that's technically impossible which I doubt but correct me if I am wrong)

15 minutes ago, Rory said:

Should have punished the offenders instead of removing the whole thing

We all know what would have happened here. Shout box trols/spammers were pretty prominent members of the community, if they get banned from using it, queue outrage "HE WAS BANNED FOR TYPING THAT LOL?!" "ADMINS SO RETARDED XD" " -( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╯╲___卐卐卐卐 Don't mind me just taking my mods for a walk "

You can never really win in this community unfortunately  

'Punishing the offenders' - for starters the only punishment that was available back then was to be permanently banned from the shoutbox. Considering nearly everyone was just spamming cancer, it would basically end up killing it.
Secondly considering the permissions were aligned with forum ones afaik, only a few people would be able to moderate it anyway. A place that's so easy to just chuck stuff into mixed with the attitudes of people from OB would need constant attention to maintain a standard, which would be stupid to expect of staff.

I don't know if it is technically possible or not with the one we have available, which is why I said I want to look into the different ways of implementing it.

Not sure why you are so defensive though, none of what I said was actually points against it being re-added? I was just clarifying how come it never ended up on another page or in a different form in the past, and that was due to people sticking their noses up to the ideas out of spite.

21 minutes ago, UnSeen said:

Not sure why you are so defensive though

I wasn't being defensive I just didn't see the correlation between people who said they didn't want it at all if it wasn't on the front page and at the same time thought member+ chat box was a good idea.

Edited by Rory

Guys... can we all just move on from thinking of how bad it was at times? :( 

Some things deserve 2nd chances, the shoutbox still had it's great uses and i for one really wanna see it returned to it's state on the front page. Even if it was member/donator+, keep it to the front page. That way if the banter does get out of hand, it won't look bad to newcomers. I can see where you're coming from UnSeen, but I really think it should be given another chance.

Edited by Jamie

I didn't really use the shoutbox but it seems like it'd make people happy. I understand it has the possibility to just contain complete rubbish so I would only want members/donators to actually see it. That being said I think the chat should be moderated because if a member or donator is acting against our rules then we should make sure appropriate action is taken.