Sign in to follow this  
Rory

What do you want from OB?

Because a few of us don't enjoy playing PB anymore doesn't mean jb is 'in decline'

The server regularly has 20 players on it pretty much whenever I check it out, OB is fine as it is right now tbh

Just seems like a vocal minority is trying to put the case across - I haven't heard anything from Unseen/Conor about a need for a drastic new path or OB struggles. If that's the case, I'd be glad to help out with more events when I can.

4 minutes ago, Fluxy said:

??? I would love to have minigames as our first "flavour of of the week" server my dude, that is my suggestion. I think OB is great how it is, love it, cant complain. 

Agree with Fluxy, OB is great as it is. 

- All I'd want is a larger variety of rooms for different games, such as OSU and Minecraft.

OB could definitely expand into different games.

I personally have really been enjoying Minecraft but there's also the element of different games becoming popular for a month then dying down with another game taking its place.

Expanding the servers would definitely be beneficial with more donations and more players.

We should also be much more welcoming to newer players like Revan. He has just become a meme like sniffles said.

1 hour ago, Sniffles said:

making them a meme (Revan

2 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Because a few of us don't enjoy playing PB anymore doesn't mean jb is 'in decline'

The server regularly has 20 players on it pretty much whenever I check it out, OB is fine as it is right now tbh

Just seems like a vocal minority is trying to put the case across - I haven't heard anything from Unseen/Conor about a need for a drastic new path or OB struggles. If that's the case, I'd be glad to help out with more events when I can.

Well it's not dead as some would claim, but it definitely is in decline compared to when I first joined. With no updates planned (That I know of) other than a rotating map pool then I can't see how it will go anywhere except down. 

If you want to get in-depth with this I believe the stats can be viewed via game-tracker if I am not mistaken, it is noticeable. Whether or not you think this is a bad thing is personal opinion because TS seems to be as popular as ever. 

Just seems like a waste to not give the people who have stuck with OB even after giving up on JB something to hop onto considering there is a dedei server that is readily available to be used. 

Just now, Rory said:

Well it's not dead as some would claim, but it definitely is in decline compared to when I first joined. With no updates planned (That I know of) other than a rotating map pool then I can't see how it will go anywhere except down. 

If you want to get in-depth with this I believe the stats can be viewed via game-tracker if I am not mistaken, it is noticeable. Whether or not you think this is a bad thing is personal opinion because TS seems to be as popular as ever. 

Just seems like a waste to not give the people who have stuck with OB even after giving up on JB something to hop onto considering there is a dedei server that is readily available to be used. 

Maybe he has achieved more than you have in his life. Maybe your mother thought you were going to be a president, but all you do is moan about how stupid humanity is. This place is far, FAR from perfect. But good things are happening each day on this planet you call "gay". And instead of writing stupid comments, you should live your life. Enjoy the life you got. This may be your only life, and we could die tomorrow, today, in a week, in a month etc. Those were my 2 coins.

Surf went well didn't it. 

Im not trying to be negative and shut down any suggestions being made. Just kinda object to everyone being of the opinion that none of this stuff has at least been tried in the past.   

Also, as lewis has said, people have been saying JB is dying since the dawn of time. Theres only one time I can actually recall the JB server being declared dead and that was on CSS, which only happened because CSGO was released and a huge amount of people stopped playing CSS.  

Edited by Fluxy

1 minute ago, Fluxy said:

Surf went well didn't it. 

Im not trying to be negative and shut down any suggestions being made. Just kinda object to everyone being of the opinion that none of this stuff has at least been tried in the past.   

So what are you actually trying to say? Surf failed sure but the people who played on it for the time it was up had loads of fun at no actual cost to OB other than admin time that they have already volunteered to give up.

Something failing isn't a bad thing, I would rather something be tried and failed than something not tried at all.

I don't think anyone is saying particular types of servers have not been tried before, what they are saying is that they currently are enjoying a game an would like OB to expand into it. 

Can see where you're coming from though, I can appreciate that it's frustrating to watch people suggest things that you have already witnessed failed. 

I think a cool idea (which has been suggested before in the long distance past - but never really pursued) is to create some competitive teams to play against other communities. We love our CS:GO competitive gathers, and league competitive gathers - why not make some teams to represent OB?

We could try and incorporate everybody (two top level teams GE-LEM) and (two low level teams novas/MG's) a.k.a old school high skill + low skill CSS.

Then maybe a team A + B of league with the top1-5 players and top6-10.

It'd give people who have distanced themselves from jailbreak something to take part in while representing the community. Playing other communities with the pride of the OB tag. Obviously it isn't something which will actively bring in other members, (as you're playing another community) - but something we could advertise as another category of OB gaming.

It goes without saying that it's also something which isn't going to harm jailbreak - no need for another server or anything. 

Would also allow some of the games to be streamed for other members of the community to enjoy or what not to expand the twitch channel / youtube channel.

Regardless of whether Jailbreak is dying or not, there is no problem in keeping more players playing Jailbreak. 

I often see on Jailbreak, people being horrible, or downright bullying newer players, something that Popey was very good at dealing with. I think moderators and admins need to stamp down on the bullying of other players. It's the little things that makes outbreak so great, and people aren't going to want to play if they're abused by others.

3 minutes ago, Lewis said:

I think a cool idea (which has been suggested before in the long distance past - but never really pursued) is to create some competitive teams to play against other communities. We love our CS:GO competitive gathers, and league competitive gathers - why not make some teams to represent OB?

This is a really good idea, I'd love to be able to help with this, I know a few people from other communities. 

Edited by Cereal

1 hour ago, Fluxy said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this is just completely wrong on so many levels. 

- What exactly do you know about what the staff do or do not do, from what I can tell you only really skulk around the forums trying to make edgy comments cause you see others doing it. As someone who hasnt even been a member I don't think you can talk about "effort" towards the community.

-Minecraft is a fad, it always has been and always will be. I know its hard for people with no historical context to understand but when you have been around long enough to see the same things come around twice, three times, even in minecrafts case four or more times, you know its not gonna stick. If you want to attach OBs name to a server, its got to be good, if its got to be good that takes time, time that is pretty much wasted on people playing a game for two weeks and getting bored. I still remember popey telling me he spent almost 200 hours working on the last server that died in less than a month because people trolled it from day one. 

- Atzul was cheating...you seriously want him in the community? From what I can tell Revan seems very open and forthright about his love for dragons, he came to this community with that meme already firmly established. 

- Maybe specify instead of just chucking out random ideas that you havent really thought to develop any further. 

- The reason why members and staff are prioritized is for a number of reasons, one of the biggest one in my eyes is ease of contact. Since you have never been involved with an event Im not that surprised you don't know the almighty pain it is trying to actually get everyone to turn up on time. Totally see that getting better with random people with one post on the forum signing up and never showing with nobody knowing who it is to contact.

- There have been numerous occasions of members suggesting event ideas and even running them. Lewis, Mintlou and I have both organised and run csgo tournaments as members. Its just plain wrong to say that the community is not involved with activities in OB. I'm also not sure I would want to let you near any decision making process going by your overall character. 

but apart from that, great suggestions sniffles :)

:spooky:

-I'm not applying for mod or want to be a moderator? I think staff should be selected on more skills than just being on jailbreak for a long time and being known, gunstar is a good example of someone who rarely plays jailbreak but helps the community out in a lot of different ways and I'm not saying get rid of mods who only play outbreak but instead recruit people who have other skills and want to see the server expand.

-Minecraft was just an example of a popular game within outbreak at the moment it could be anything from Rust to minigames my point is that jailbreak has a really small audience compared to most games / gamemodes

-No defense for Atzul I just wanted two examples :spooky: but if you think that new players feel welcomed and a part of the community in the majority of cases you're wrong

-I have no ideas since I don't know the kind of things donators can get and what the server can supply

-I've been in an event and most of the time they are a clusterfuck but if someone takes the effort to sign up to the forums,  make an introduction and be active I very much doubt they will be late to the event but that's just my opinion

- Valid point except If you believe I spend my whole life trolling and annoying other people you are very wrong and maybe It's because we have very little interaction you would think this or because 99% of my posts are shit tier but I'm not even that bad of a person

But apart from that, thanks for the feedback Fluxy :)

8 minutes ago, Lewis said:

We could try and incorporate everybody (two top level teams GE-LEM) and (two low level teams novas/MG's) a.k.a old school high skill + low skill CSS.

Then maybe a team A + B of league with the top1-5 players and top6-10.

It'd give people who have distanced themselves from jailbreak something to take part in while representing the community. Playing other communities with the pride of the OB tag. Obviously it isn't something which will actively bring in other members, (as you're playing another community) - but something we could advertise as another category of OB gaming.

It goes without saying that it's also something which isn't going to harm jailbreak - no need for another server or anything. 

Would also allow some of the games to be streamed for other members of the community to enjoy or what not to expand the twitch channel / youtube channel.

This idea is amazing, I'm fucking garbage tier at CS but would still love to see the OB Gather gods stomp other community in some sort live broadcast. 

It's an interesting point you make about steering away from something that could be potentially harming to JB though, Surely another successful server would just encourage cross pollination between both platforms. (I suppose that is in an ideal world though)

Either way this thread is just dead air without someone with a bit of authority coming to weigh in. 

@Sir_Conor @UnSeen

Any takers?  

Just because we like things how they are now is no reason to not look how to improve it, esp in light of the donator situation. The people who'd play the new servers are more likely to be people who are now sick of jb but would happily play new games and game modes.

If you're addicted to JB, then you just wanna put it all day. If you're not, and JB is all this community offers in official channels, you'll just splinter into little groups who don't really bring in new players, as you're just playing on a random server for a few hours.

To make a general comment - the suggestions/ideas seem good (inc those that are fresh, those that are old and those that are already in motion), but I would argue most of the criticisms that don't provide alternatives are misinformed to a tee.

There have been a few threads like this recently that I've been reluctant to post in. A large part of this is because they end up a circle-jerk and people pick apart what you say when you have good intentions of communicating what will, can or won't happen. Another reason is because people pile up the pressure and have expectation, they apply their perspective on it while disregarding all other factors and make demands that they would never fulfill themselves despite what they say they could do. It's also because no matter how many times you revisit the same topic, give a reasonable response and hope people will actually support your efforts rather than scrutinize...let's just say you can never overestimate Outbreak's ability to be obtuse.

In reply to a few of the suggestions then:

- Different servers based on temporary trends
Don't get me wrong, I do agree that we need something fresh soon and I'm not saying no to that at all. I also wouldn't say the 'effort' of setting up a single server to a playable standard is the issue either.
However purely setting up random servers temporarily for a few members isn't really helping develop the community, giving a basis for OB to work from and seeking growth. My point here is that I'm all for expanding to other servers/games, but having them last for a short period of time and not be fully developed with more time would be kinda pointless as it would hardly bring in any repeat players (due to lower rushed quality) and those that do would be put out when the server is removed. People who want something temporarily are more than welcome to set up their own thing during fads of amusement, as OB has always done anyway.

- Members helping out in different events and expanding these events to different games
Although I'm not going to say it's perfect and I know even more can be developed here, anyone who says this isn't being done needs to stop commenting in these sort of threads. Events are expanding to other games (LoL, Hearthstone) and will continue to do so (MC, GM etc) and members have the ability to help run/suggest event ideas. Membership involvement has slowed down a tad recently because we've had a large intake of new staff and we want to prioritise getting staff more experienced in helping run events first.

- Competitive Teams / Inter-Community Competitive
I do like this idea and it has been something that has been on the back of my mind for a while. It's just been put the back of my mind and the bottom of priority list compared to other stuff that I'd like to see expand and develop (which should have ideally happened already if not for the various issues 2016 hit us with).

Only thing though: An Outbreak competitive team (in general) wouldn't really do much. If it was purely to just do the best while representing Outbreak, it'd pretty much be the same people that already play together but just doing it in various leagues with the OB name. This isn't an issue with it as such more that it isn't really anything 'to do', it's just a question of who should go in what teams or whatnot.

To the inter-community: I would be interested in this and I do have contacts in other communities, but there are a few problems. For a start it's a different thing entirely to try organise a multi community thing - especially when most other communities don't develop or expect the same level of integration for a core memberbase as us. Another comment to add to that is that the level of CS ability is far lower in other similar communities than it is in OB.
Furthering to that, if the organisation was pulled off - other communities don't hold the same standards for dealing with people. Individuals who are banned from OB could be top regulars for another place. I doubt you'd get many people who are known skids from elsewhere in OB, but among all the other communities it wouldn't surprise me at all.
You've also got the base thing of, even if it was only in OB, running a league is completely different ball game to a tournament. If you can get people failing to show up games that span 3 days, you are going to be fucked if it spans weeks/months.

It's definitely something to look forward to but I think it'd work better: 1. as an individual event rather than long lasting tournament 2. only with communities we could work extremely with and would have balanced judgement to who might not be allowed. At the moment I struggle to see that sort of thing stretching beyond a mini tournament with CLWO.

Member Event Priority
I disagree with its entire removal. Although it is one of the few perks and we need others, that wouldn't be the main reason. It'd lean more towards what Fluxy said. Events are already incredibly difficult to run with the players of the community who are supposed to be more reliable and recognised, yet alone with those who have no means or contacting and don't have the same sense of liability for turning up. At the same, me and Gunstar have discussed this briefly and we'll consider how to implement it fairly in the future, we want to try make it so some spots are *more available* for reserves. Say for example the priority order would be first come first serve and member/donator priority, but the first 3 regulars signing up and excluded from being removed by said perk. It's something to mull at least, but complete removal of the priority wouldn't work at this time.

I've probably missed a few things, whether from actually missing them or feeling like they are kinda irrelevant.

The only 'criticism' I will address is Sniffles talking about staff putting 'more effort into OB' and us stopping 'accepting people who just keep the server clean'. I know you tried to re-clarify what you meant afterwards but that entire statement is still bull. If you think we are dense enough to purely take people because they are 'just able to keep the server clean' and if you believe that none of the mods don't do more beyond JB (spoiler alert, they all fucking do more) then you are borderline retarded. The amount of flak and overview people receive nowadays for trying to put something into this community compared to those who just got on with what they were told back in the day is just disgusting imo, but it won't ever stop so what can I do.

This post is probably disjointed as fuck and blahs on needlessly. I started writing it before going to eat and finished after.

oh ye I almost forgot one more thing, OB's becoming a path of exile community with Eraser at the helm xo