Sign in to follow this  
Rory

What do you want from OB?

Slow day in work so thought I'd start a little discussion.

It feels like a lot of people are feeling like JB is in decline somewhat and OB could do with focusing its energy somewhere else, Just curious on which direction you hope OB should go. I remember Mintlou once saying that OB should be more reactive to what is popular in the moment and bring up a server for what particular game is the flavour of the week, whether it dies in a week or not so be it, I think this is the sort of sentiment I agree with.

Although I feel the decline of JB is overstated by some because the server is still very popular at peak times, It is obvious that it is struggling compared to the past and I can only see this trending downward.

What do you want from OB?

hmmm, im not sure I can totally see the staff backing putting effort into setting up new servers all the time and then just closing them when hey arent popular any more because they were badly maintained. It seems like quite alot of work for little reward, you wont build any recurring fanbase, anyone who does join the server and want to find it again in a few weeks wouldn't be able too. I thought we were trying to grow? Not cater to the flippant whims of our current member base? 

Also...minigames....DU BIST NE BITCH! 

Maybe not a server for every single flavour of the week. Just the ones that stand out. We have  the capability so its almost a waste not to. Just anything more than a new server every two years would be nice.

Edited by Rory

-Staff putting in more effort towards ob and stop accepting people who just "Keep the server clean"

-Servers for trendy things (I know a lot of people recently got into minecraft)

-Getting the people who play jailbreak more involved and making them feel welcome instead of making them a meme (Revan, Atzul, etc)

-Better perks for donating and not just jailbreak items

-Don't prioritise members and staff in events and let regular people come and join in

-Let the community be more involved in the decisions and activities of OB

1 hour ago, Sniffles said:

Don't prioritise members and staff in events

This so much.

The "We cant change it because its the only member perk at the moment" is a garbage excuse, give members something else for once and this isnt an issue.

A good event could single handedly convert a regular sitting on the fence to a hopeful member.

Edited by Rory
Typo

If I'm honest. Just want to see something different, nothing has really changed that much. For example new game servers for popular games, e.g. Games that are voted and agreed on by the community to see wha the community want. other than that nothing in particular, just a change or some more game servers. Or even if they don't want to expand that much, just another type of game mode for CS. 

I agree with what you said about the member perk thing, the member park could just be changed to something else, I think it is strange how they're prioritized, I can understand staff, but not members.

Edited by ItsInsurgent

28 minutes ago, Sniffles said:

-Getting the people who play jailbreak more involved and making them feel welcome instead of making them a meme (Revan, Atzul, etc)

I feel like as a community we should push Jailbreak regulars to become more involved, and make them feel wanted and apart of something. Pretty much everyone was a Jailbreak regular at one point. (Obviously I don't know that much about forming an online community as the admins do, but that's from my perspective.)

I also think something new and fresh is probably a good idea, jailbreak can be taxing and repetitive, and having somewhere else where you can play with OB would be pretty cool, even if it was something like a minecraft server. I'm a massive fan of minigames courses.

Edited by Cereal

28 minutes ago, Sniffles said:

-Staff putting in more effort towards ob and stop accepting people who just "Keep the server clean"

-Servers for trendy things (I know a lot of people recently got into minecraft)

-Better perks for donating and not just jailbreak items

-Don't prioritise members and staff in events and let regular people come and join in

-Let the community be more involved in the decisions and activities of OB

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this is just completely wrong on so many levels. 

- What exactly do you know about what the staff do or do not do, from what I can tell you only really skulk around the forums trying to make edgy comments cause you see others doing it. As someone who hasnt even been a member I don't think you can talk about "effort" towards the community.

-Minecraft is a fad, it always has been and always will be. I know its hard for people with no historical context to understand but when you have been around long enough to see the same things come around twice, three times, even in minecrafts case four or more times, you know its not gonna stick. If you want to attach OBs name to a server, its got to be good, if its got to be good that takes time, time that is pretty much wasted on people playing a game for two weeks and getting bored. I still remember popey telling me he spent almost 200 hours working on the last server that died in less than a month because people trolled it from day one. 

- Atzul was cheating...you seriously want him in the community? From what I can tell Revan seems very open and forthright about his love for dragons, he came to this community with that meme already firmly established. 

- Maybe specify instead of just chucking out random ideas that you havent really thought to develop any further. 

- The reason why members and staff are prioritized is for a number of reasons, one of the biggest one in my eyes is ease of contact. Since you have never been involved with an event Im not that surprised you don't know the almighty pain it is trying to actually get everyone to turn up on time. Totally see that getting better with random people with one post on the forum signing up and never showing with nobody knowing who it is to contact.

- There have been numerous occasions of members suggesting event ideas and even running them. Lewis, Mintlou and I have both organised and run csgo tournaments as members. Its just plain wrong to say that the community is not involved with activities in OB. I'm also not sure I would want to let you near any decision making process going by your overall character. 

but apart from that, great suggestions sniffles :)

:spooky:

2 hours ago, Fluxy said:

hmmm, im not sure I can totally see the staff backing putting effort into setting up new servers all the time and then just closing them when hey arent popular any more because they were badly maintained. It seems like quite alot of work for little reward, you wont build any recurring fanbase, anyone who does join the server and want to find it again in a few weeks wouldn't be able too. I thought we were trying to grow? Not cater to the flippant whims of our current member base? 

100% agree that Minigames would be lit af.

But 'staff backing putting in effort' - this really shouldn't be an excuse. This is assuming the staff team are lazy as shit, and aren't willing to put three to five hours aside to get a server up (which is the time Mintlou says it would take him). If staff are not willing to do this, then legit just give Mintlou tech mod, as he will do this - or expand the tech team to spread the load. Also, flavour of the week doesn't mean that we'd necessarily neglect the existing servers (anymore than they are presently). It could be both. 

You'd have engagement from members who are thoroughly done in with JB and possibly MG in the future on these more flyby servers. That way, you get to use the characters around here who often can really help in drawing in new members, on this quick servers. If someone isn't a skid, I imagine they'd be encouraged to join the Teamspeak by members/regulars in-game. I think a good way of viewing this is that OB is like a ship, which moves from port-to-port, and it owns a couple of constant ports in the form of a JB and/or MG server. Essentially, it allows us to cast as wide a net as possible without detracting from our existing servers.

You'd have a recurring fanbase on those two platforms, as well as people who, like many, fatigue quickly of one game mode, but who end up sticking around for the people rather than the gamemode (which really is the litmus test for anyone who's actually gonna' be around here longterm anyway).

Edited by VENGA BUS
I misquoted Mintlou on the time to get a new server done

Flux you actually going to post some of your ideas or just disagree with everyone elses.

No disrespect, just would rather read your own point of view to get a better consensus from what people want from future OB

12 minutes ago, Rory said:

Flux you actually going to post some of your ideas or just disagree with everyone elses.

1 hour ago, Fluxy said:

??? I would love to have minigames as our first "flavour of of the week" server my dude, that is my suggestion. I think OB is great how it is, love it, cant complain. 

other quality suggestions from me. 

ban soundboards

ban anyone who is even remotely racist 

ban people for making retarded posts on the forums 

actually permanently ban cheaters 

ban people who cant read 

ban people who are late for events 

you want anymore? 

Edited by Fluxy

Just now, Fluxy said:

??? I would love to have minigames as our first "flavour of of the week" server my dude, that is my suggestion. I think OB is great how it is, love it, cant complain. 

Ahh fair, couldn't tell if you were dropping a dank meme or that was your suggestion. 

I agree either way, MG Server would be great even with no JB shop/credit system integration  (That was the hurdle that was presented to me last time it was mentioned)