Sign in to follow this  
Fluxy

Hearthstone tournament?

Allow Wild decks?   

38 members have voted

1. 1. Allow Wild decks?

• Yes
    • No

I don't know if the way the decks work is your original idea @Fluxy, or that you maybe misinterpreted how tournaments are generally run.

Basically you can have three decks from three different classes. You announce your classes but not your decklists. You can only win one game per deck to prevent snowballing (each series is a BO5). You need to send your decklists to the tournament moderator as switching the cards in your decklists during the course of the tournament isn't allowed. 

This also answers your question @Gunstar ^

If anybody wants to read more about Conquest format refer to this link https://tempostorm.com/articles/hearthstones-competitive-formats-for-tournaments-and-matches

1 hour ago, Veng3nce said:

I think games should be BO3 and not BO5, this way people who may not have an OP deck in every class (such as myself) will actually have a chance of winning, unless your opponent pulls the worst draws for 3 games out of 5 (RNG is fun).

Apart from that I'd definitely be up for it.

BO3 is definitely possible, but the problem with it is that the best player in the tournament could easily be knocked out by a few lucky draws when only 2 games are required. The idea is that the more games per series, the more likely the person who played better will come out on top. 

Maybe I only take this point of view because I'm an experienced player with one of the biggest collections in the community, but when losing 2 games in a row has the potential to knock out anybody, it does turn into even more of a luck based game than it already is.

The upside of BO3 as you mentioned is it makes the tournament more accessible to people that might not be able to put together three strong decks, though it definitely has its competitive downsides as I've mentioned.

If we need to go to BO3 in order to get a decent number of players, I would say that a group stage to begin the tournament (Think Champions League Style)  would be a good way of lengthening it out. 

18 minutes ago, IrishChamp said:

BO3 is definitely possible, but the problem with it is that the best player in the tournament could easily be knocked out by a few lucky draws when only 2 games are required. The idea is that the more games per series, the more likely the person who played better will come out on top. 

Maybe I only take this point of view because I'm an experienced player with one of the biggest collections in the community, but when losing 2 games in a row has the potential to knock out anybody, it does turn into even more of a luck based game than it already is.

The upside of BO3 as you mentioned is it makes the tournament more accessible to people that might not be able to put together three strong decks, though it definitely has its competitive downsides as I've mentioned.

If we need to go to BO3 in order to get a decent number of players, I would say that a group stage to begin the tournament (Think Champions League Style)  would be a good way of lengthening it out. 

But the same could be said for how CSGO tournaments in the community are run, have a bad couple of BO1 games as a team and you're out. I personally don't see how a jade decks, Dragon priest, renolock, any kazakus reno deck, buff paladin, aggro pirate, midrange shamin will lose against a f2p deck with a few above average cards in it. The likelihood of somebody winning 2/3 with what you could essentially call better arena decks is so unlikely, they just don't have enough value and answers to beat the current OP decks unless you're pulling some of the worst draw possible.

In terms of two high tier decks facing each other, it's true that the worse player could win because of lucky draws. But, RNG draw is such a big factor in those matchups that it really doesn't seem like that much of a big deal to me.

Just to note, my current best deck in hearthstone is jade druid where the only legendary I have is Kun, I'm missing a couple other cards too. Just because I have to play shit decks because I'm f2p only doesn't mean I'm less skilled than another player who has bought every expansion and has all the OP decks, just gives them more opportunities to out value me in the long run.

was thinking we could try get this going first week of January if people are good with that? 

Also, just to clarify the rules set as I would like to have them.

all games will be a bo3. 

Wild is permitted. 

Deck lists will be submitted to the hosts only, they will not be publically shared. Could say that everyone should submit them on the day before the start of the tournament. Again, if people asking why they have to show their decks to the hosts before hand, it's to stop someone from sneakily crafting a hard counter deck for someone they know they might be facing off at a later stage in the tourny. 

Prize - 1st place: £7.99 - enough to buy 7 Card packs  

2nd place : 2.29 - 2 packs 

3rd place : I dunno yet, maybe we could sort out credits or something. 

I'm happy to provide the money for the prizes :)  

I downloaded this yesterday and dont really understand whats going on, but id still try play maybe.

Also will briefly mention, if it's something people want, I can also stream and cast any games im not playing in. 

If folk want to help me cast that would be great too :) 

Edited by Fluxy

Yeah gotta be honest, I'm happy to play for fun but really not inclined to play if wild is allowed.  I still have all my cards from previous expansions such as boom and belcher etc but standard makes it far more balanced currently.

Edit: and far more fun when boom isn't getting dropped on turn 7 every game :).

Edited by Substick