Clickerz R34

Operating Systems

So, after my recently awful run ins with Windows 10, i decided to make a forum post querying what OS do other Outbreak members use and if they feel it could be improved or if it is perfectly fine!

I personally believe Windows is unstable as i often have issues with it corrupting itself, today i had to reinstall TWICE to fix the Windows Store as it refused to give an error let alone open and have had issues with it filling up the hard drive with nothing leaving me with no HDD space left among many other irreparable issues Windows seems to generate all by itself.

I have also used Ubuntu and Puppy Linux in the past on other machines as well as duel booting my current PC to test other distributions of Linux, i feel Ubuntu is similar to Mac OS but that is my opinions.

I have very basic knowledge of Mac OS also from Mac book Airs at my school in certain lessons but no longer have access to those, therefor i cannot comment my opinion to well on it but from my usage of the Airs the OS seems clean to use however i do not like the bottom bar taking over as much as the screen as it does.

Thanks for reading, Dan (Clickerz)

Personally, I find the Mac OS an absolute pain to use on desktops or laptops, but thats because I dont really use them that much. My flatmate is a software engineer who works at an IT company and he only uses Macs for his work, he can do all sorts of shit on them that I had no idea was even possible but they still arent for me. I find them pretty decent on tablets and phones tho. 

Windows 10 is ok, I dont think its bad but I don't think its amazing either. 

Used to run dual win7 and 8 but I upgraded the 7 to a 10. Which has its ups and downs but at least I got a legit copy of windows now.

Also if you upgraded your windows, you should have a old windows located in your os drive which is old files and setting from your previous window. Mine was around 70gb so I just deleted it But am guessing you already know that.

I use windows 7 and have done for quite some time. I find it just works and doesn't kill itself or just be a general pain in the ass, and looks pretty decent after some modification, as well as having the most software available. Not the most friendly for changing hardware, but is possible without having to reinstall

As for other OS's,

Linux: While it is technically better in terms of performance than others, the lack of software support means that it's not great for gaming; that doesn't mean it wouldn't work though, would just take more effort. Also good if you frequently change hardware.

Mac OS X: Clumsy to use, less game support, less software support - just no.

Personally I use windows 7 however it's starting to show it's age so I'm sure I'll have to change soon. With a small discussion about Mac and PC, this is my view on the modern operating systems.

Windows

Most people have used windows a lot, with XP and 7 being the best and most popular versions and Vista and 8 have turned people off. For windows to continue market domination windows 10 needs to improve. Personally I feel it's an up to date version of windows 7 but with plenty of aspects no one cares about from windows 8 and windows phones. If microsoft reduce these aspects and stop forcing things like IE/Edge on the user then windows may have a good future however I cannot see this happening.

MacOS

Many Mac users have tried both mac and windows, unlike most windows users. That being said many of these people have only used old and cheap (£200) windows laptops then jumped to a brand new Mac (£1000+). From that stand point you can see how many people have developed a love for macs however they could easily get a bunch better built PC for the price they spend on it.

Additionally I don't get on well with the Mac OS UI, partially because of my familiarity with windows but mostly because of it's bad design. For example the dock feels like a terrible implementation of a task bar and the window mmanagement on Mac OS is severely lacking.

After all that I feel depending on what happens with windows Mac OS has potential to grab quite a few more users and these will stay fairly dedicated to the system but I won't be one of them.

Linux - the underdog.

We all love a good underdog story and whilst I'm not utilising a Linux based system I feel it will be the future of operating systems. It's already slowly happening and depending on what happens with windows then this may be accelerated. I'm not ready for it quite yet but it is the future, the only issue is creating availability for non tech savvy users.

To sum up depending on when I decide to chuck windows 7 I'll either upgrade to windows 10 or select a Linux based OS. Either way I will be utlising Linux based systems in about 10 years time, especially for automated tasks, I'm particularly interested in using a raspberry pi for house automation.