Sign in to follow this  
VENGA BUS

Please bring back shoutbox

Another reason was that when people are spamming useless gifs and images the load time of the web page is significantly longer than normal. The chatbox itself made the load time longer already.

If you really want to chat make a what's app group :spooky:.

3 hours ago, Raw said:

The forums died because of the chatbox. Everyone posted their shit in the chatbox, not on the actual forums. And what about newcomers that see that chatbox full with people insulting each other, will make the community represent being toxic, so less people wanting to join the community. Sorry but i don't see any benefits of a chatbox in the way it was treated.

Because you guys delete any thread which people find interesting. Anything funny or amusing or remotely risqué gets deleted for the benefit of your intellectually handicapped, hypersensitive, crybaby imaginary target audience. It's the internet, not a bloody day care centre.

Put rules up at top of chatbox and enforce them: boom. There's an idea which a grossly oversize leadership team couldn't arrive at without outside help. 

4 hours ago, Raw said:

It is not even about insulting..

3 hours ago, Raw said:

The forums died because of the chatbox. Everyone posted their shit in the chatbox, not on the actual forums. And what about newcomers that see that chatbox full with people insulting each other, will make the community represent being toxic, so less people wanting to join the community. Sorry but i don't see any benefits of a chatbox in the way it was treated.

What the fuck does this even mean, anything I ever posted in the chat box I would never have put on the forum anyway. 

All that content (Whether you think is trash or not) adds to inactivity to the forum, not activity. 

Is this seriously the reasoning behind the decision to remove the chatbox... 

Just deal with it. You got TS to talk to each other. Done.

And what if I want to interact with the community while at work or out of the house? I think it is actually disgraceful that instead of coming in here and actually putting up some valid points you post shit like this, mods should be better than that. 

Edited by Rory

13 minutes ago, VENGA BUS said:

Because you guys delete any thread which people find interesting.

I don't even have the powers for that. And what do you call interesting?

10 minutes ago, Rory said:

What the fuck does this even mean, anything I ever posted in the chat box I would never have put on the forum anyway. 

All that content (Whether you think is trash or not) adds to inactivity to the forum, not activity. 

Is this seriously the reasoning behind the decision to remove the chatbox... 

And what if I want to interact with the community while at work or out of the house? I think it is actually disgraceful that instead of coming in here and actually putting up some valid points you post shit like this, mods should be better than that. 

It is my opnion on the chatbox. Forums slowly died after the chatbox was there. People started to care more about the chatbox than about the forums, and the content of the chatbox was not always the best (trolling, other shit etc.). And to get real, new people visit the forums in an earlier stage before going onto TS, and they see that chatbox full of random shit and insults (they don't know it is actual baiting). And wherever it still added some activity, it was not any kind of good activity because it was full of shit. Conclusion for me, it doesn't add anything. And you saying i should know better, only because i have a green name, i am still a person, and have my opnions on things. Points i posted were valid for me, as they were my opinion. 

Interacting with the community works fine while at work or out of house, forums are fine on mobile devices.

What is the big point? The forums were fine before there was a chatbox. Now it was there for a while, it was abused by many people imo and yes now it's gone. Why should mods need to babysit every little part of the community? Why should there be rules everywhere? Everyone wants it to keep it open-minded without some mods hammering you for every little thing. And if shit doesn't work, yes it can go imo. 

26 minutes ago, Raw said:

I don't even have the powers for that. And what do you call interesting?

It is my opnion on the chatbox. Forums slowly died after the chatbox was there. People started to care more about the chatbox than about the forums, and the content of the chatbox was not always the best (trolling, other shit etc.). And to get real, new people visit the forums in an earlier stage before going onto TS, and they see that chatbox full of random shit and insults (they don't know it is actual baiting). And wherever it still added some activity, it was not any kind of good activity because it was full of shit. Conclusion for me, it doesn't add anything. And you saying i should know better, only because i have a green name, i am still a person, and have my opnions on things. Points i posted were valid for me, as they were my opinion. 

Interacting with the community works fine while at work or out of house, forums are fine on mobile devices.

What is the big point? The forums were fine before there was a chatbox. Now it was there for a while, it was abused by many people imo and yes now it's gone. Why should mods need to babysit every little part of the community? Why should there be rules everywhere? Everyone wants it to keep it open-minded without some mods hammering you for every little thing. And if shit doesn't work, yes it can go imo. 

The forums general activity increases with a popular features, bringing people to the website and maybe finding a thread they find interesting. If someone comes to read or participate in the chat box they are more inclined to view/post in threads now that they have been brought to the website. 

Of course you don't see the big point, you hardly ever participated in the chat box so why would you? 

Why should mods need to actually enforce rules on features provided to the community? Because that is exactly what you signed up for when you applied to MODERATE a community. 

Edited by Rory

So I'm going to respond and summarise the reasoning behind it's removal. I would like to make it clear though that, even as someone who likes you all and can see the funny side in most of the things, it's getting a bit fucking boring now. It's pretty much the same people every time who get up in arms about every little thing that is either changed or not changed and the way they go about it is to demean others' efforts and pull off their QQ in a satirical and obnoxious manner rather than just asking about things and actually giving a shit about anything but their own amusement.

Yes OB shouldn't be 'safe spaced' but at the same time it's taking things semi seriously that has allowed our community to continue and have a solid core, a group of people online who actually have a sense of community to them because there is some structure. Ironically it's the people who used to stand for that structure and helped build a lot of it that now seem to dismiss it and disregard it because it doesn't suit the nature they have become that now insists on using Outbreak as their outlet of aids and grouped entertainment. For all I care on TS, among people who have had the chance to grow to know each other and whatnot, things can be a lot more relaxed - people can enjoy this community in their own way without inflicting upon others or leaving their shit in places that are for all to see all of the time permanently. This isn't to say you can't have the odd joke or that this is a 'business forum', but the forum has never been for complete shitfests and excusing shitposts in the name of 'forums are dead/boring' is just pathetic and is honestly disappointing when I know the same people could make creative, decent threads which allow for entertaining discussion and content.

Directly addressing the chatbox then. To bring in the argument of 'safe spacing' is irrelevant, when comments were made that staff felt were out of hand they were dealt with. For people in the know some of the contents is just what you would expect from TS and group chats in regard to baits (which can actually be established on the forum through the PM system, if you really wanted it) - however for people out of the know or new to OB it comes across as a toxic mess and bickering (to put it lightly, and this can be taken from people questioning me about 'what were people arguing about'). Typed messages on the front page of our website which literally became the exhibit of the most aids parts of OB, and a lot of it was stuff that OB has never and will never actively facilitate and enable just so people can 'let it out' - we turn a blind eye to it sometimes on TS for the jokes, but otherwise people who feel the need to be so cancerous have no place in this community.

Another section of the contents of the chatbox was the gifs/images/ascii that were spammed. Although the odd image was fine, the amount that ended up being loaded (along with the chatbox itself) made the forums very slow for the average user. The ascii images/text images that spread up the page were overused and generally aids, filling the chatbox up with anything other than 'chatting'. These aspects just didn't help the website and just added to the impression that came off from the chatbox.

The only parts of the chatbox which weren't complete aids were the odd cheeky exchanges (which were extremely rare) between people (that could easily take place in group chats that already exist and PMs which have always been there) and the odd links to things that resulted in a brief discussion (which could have actually been made into a thread if people put a tad more effort in to create some forum life instead of being hypocritical and posting aids instead). Now it can be argued that 'just moderate the chatbox' - but the point was that pretty much the entirety of its contents wasn't wanted and also we shouldn't have to create another platform to be moderated, if nothing within the chatbox is appropriate for what we want on the front of our forums then it's just going to be removal not moderation. There's also the argument that it could have been moved somewhere else or along those lines, but the general consensus is that would make it lack luster to the point of being pointless. Even on other forums of other communities the general perception is that it looks messy, unnecessary and certainly doesn't fit on a main page - whether the contents be aids or just lack luster.

The decision to have the chatbox gone is final and there are plenty of reasons why (though I probably missed out some while rambling on). My main issue now (and I did speak briefly to individuals about this and they somewhat agreed) is the way a group of you handle yourselves every single time you disagree with something. You act provocatively, making demeaning comments, satirical posts and harsh comments in public eye and continue in a manner that makes it impossible to take you seriously while at the same agitating/demotivating quite a few members of the staff team. It literally comes across as individuals who once put effort into this community having expectations for what they can do while completely disregarding the efforts of others (even if they do require critique or complaint, there is a way to handle it). Sure suggestions and general server issues belong on a forum, but when it comes to people or people's decision and dissing them as part of your complaint then it either deserves a mature chat with myself or Conor about it or a clean fuck off then. It's off the back of this that I want to make it clear, continuing this discussion and future discussions in the petty, trivial manner that has constantly happened over this last year or so will no longer be tolerated. We're always welcome to suggestions and feedback, we try make OB better for everyone as a whole - but if your entertainment and complaints come at the expense of others or have a complete and utter disregard of what people put into this community then you have no place in this community as far as I'm aware.

If you wish to discuss this further (chatbox or how people act) then feel free to message me either through steam, forum pm, whatever. This response will be the last to all the numerous spam, 'satire' shit threads and will end the discussion which has actively revolved at picking away at the people making the decision rather than the decision itself on the forum. We can all make OB - forum, TS, servers, community - a better place if we just have a tad bit of consideration, it's not a lot to expect from anyone.

(Also I know this is very long, but the way OB has been lately about everything required a somewhat lengthy response).