Sign in to follow this  
Neero

Programming for scrubs

For a while now, I was wondering if I should try to learn programming (basic stuff fam), considering I'm going to study IT in the future. This was about a month ago.

Yesterday, while I was surfing the Tech forum, I saw the "Python Challenges" and thought "maybe I can start here". So I clicked on it, and to my surprise, a lot of users know how to code.

Now to the main part, since some of you guys know how to code, I want to kindly ask for advice for a guy who hasn't touched a .py file before.

What program should a novice programmer choose and how does one even learn?

Regards, Neero 

I started with C and C++, really easy to learn and get into. However i'm still divided on what's the best language. Java is fine, C# is also okay. Javascript and their libraries are also neat.

You can self-teach the language or visit courses that may or may not help you. 

There's this insanely new invention... IT CHANGED THE LIFES OF MANY PEOPLE, REVOLUTIONIZED THE MODERN TECHNOLOGY, TRANSFORMED OUR GENERATION AND LAUNCHED IT TOWARDS A NEW, PROSPERING DAY.

It's called google. You also have youtube. 

6 hours ago, Blyss said:

There's this insanely new invention... IT CHANGED THE LIFES OF MANY PEOPLE, REVOLUTIONIZED THE MODERN TECHNOLOGY, TRANSFORMED OUR GENERATION AND LAUNCHED IT TOWARDS A NEW, PROSPERING DAY.

It's called google. You also have youtube. 

maybe I already heard of it, but most of the advice I got from it is either pay for courses in the USA (apparently USA is the best, again) or pay for books that cost the money I don't have. thanks

i learned LUA coding by playing on WoW private servers and scripting bosses for it, lots of fun and its also shares some similarities with C++ (but its easier to get into)

might be worth investigating also for programmes i'd personally recommend Notepad++, not sure how well it works with java or python though but i dont think there will be any issues with it.

18 hours ago, Ekitai_Hebi said:

i learned LUA coding by playing on WoW private servers and scripting bosses for it, lots of fun and its also shares some similarities with C++ (but its easier to get into)

might be worth investigating also for programmes i'd personally recommend Notepad++, not sure how well it works with java or python though but i dont think there will be any issues with it.

LUA is neet-o, if you're looking to learn programming for games (and I'm completely serious about this) take a look at ROBLOX.

From personal experience, i believe that the best way to learn something, is to set yourself a big but achievable goal, and work at it. E.g. Aim to create a small 2d game of snake. And for every question that you may acquire throughout your journey, answer it with the help of the internet. The main thing would be having the motivation and the right mindset. If you would like some inspiration/ideas please feel free to poke me on teamspeak or message me wherever. :heart:

P.S I can help you get started by helping you set up a coding environment on your computer. :beer:

Edited by ColdMeekly<3
Added P.S

15 hours ago, ColdMeekly<3 said:

I can help you get started by helping you set up a coding environment on your computer. :beer:

Maybe I'm too used to coding environments but setting one up for a small thing like this doesn't feel like it would be such a big task that another person is required.

I see what you mean skeff, but it all depends on experience. I personally know a couple of people who required help choosing the correct sdk and the most suitable IDE for their needs. And by "help" it doesn't have to involve me doing it myself. I could just give suggestions, ideas for him :P