Sign in to follow this  
Major Chaos

Overwatch

50 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Is this game worth buying i've been thinking about it for a while but i'm not sure, opinions please?

It's like TF2, but:

• The pace is much faster
  • There are many more characters and they're much more likable
  • The visuals and level design are to die for

One thing i dislike is how you can get matched with enemies +20 your level. Those games are no fun.
If you get a good match however, it really is a great game.

1 hour ago, Nathan said:

Is this game worth buying i've been thinking about it for a while but i'm not sure, opinions please?

i currently have 43 hours and play it frequently, whilst having lots of fun so i would so it is worth it.

Alright, since this is something that I have actual relevant experience in;

Some people have asked what I actually did in TF2 - 1500 hours of comp at Plat level (3.2k total), most recently last season a team I co-led won Silver div. That was in the 9v9 format of TF called Highlander.

Also played 6v6 at div 2, subbed for a div 1 team. I play Scout ~ Pyro for HL lulz.

Overwatch is totally different from TF2. People try so desperately to compare them but they aren't really alike at all. Overwatch namely is much faster paced than TF. 

If you enjoy FPS games outside of "realistic" shooters like CS:S and CS:GO then you'll enjoy Overwatch. Ranked comes out soon and it's genuinely the most fun I've had in ages when you're queuing with friends. 

Only downside to the game is when you're getting rolled it's the most unfun thing in the world. I'd rather get aids.

tl;dr if you like non-realistic shooters you'll like Overwatch. It's well developed and will be updated for a long time. It's also optimised and runs like clockwork compared to some of the shit developers usually put out.

• The visuals and level design are to die for

This is the only thing you said that I'd disagree with. The levels were designed without Widowmaker in mind. 

Edited by Tiny

9 minutes ago, Iszuka™ said:

lolwhat

?
They clearly forgot that Widow was a thing. The sightlines on a ton of the maps are insane for her. Edit for clarification - Maps like numbani have high ground with fantastic sightlines that's pretty hard to flank against an organised premade. If scrims have taught me anything, it's that 20 tick servers against godlike Widow players actually make me want to cut myself.

Edited by Tiny

Just now, Tiny said:

?
They clearly forgot that Widow was a thing. The sightlines on a ton of the maps are insane for her.

Snipers have to work with what they're given. You need to know where to look.
Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Oab2Q87.jpg

9 minutes ago, Iszuka™ said:

Snipers have to work with what they're given. You need to know where to look.
Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Oab2Q87.jpg

Hm? I'm not blaming Widow, and knowing where to look for the sniper unfortunately doesn't prevent you from taking 300 damage across the map. Get two premades together and find out! :-)

If I understood correctly

You say the maps for widowmaker are badly designed? I actually think any lvl50 widowmaker main is very good if they can read the opponent team before the ult combos to pick off tanks or defensive classes. 

I don't know the exact statistics for what heroes are most picked in a match average, but widowmaker players are hardly picked due to not contributing enough in teamfights or objective pushes. 

Far as maps go, payload maps are great for widowmakers, arena maps are a bit hard due to being compact and if there is a torbjorn or bastion it will make it difficult for widowmakers. Other then that, I think that most maps are made for flanking which favor reaper and symmetra players. 

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

If I understood correctly

You say the maps for widowmaker are badly designed? I actually think any lvl50 widowmaker main is very good if they can read the opponent team before the ult combos to pick off tanks or defensive classes. 

I don't know the exact statistics for what heroes are most picked in a match average, but widowmaker players are hardly picked due to not contributing enough in teamfights or objective pushes. 

Far as maps go, payload maps are great for widowmakers, arena maps are a bit hard due to being compact and if there is a torbjorn or bastion it will make it difficult for widowmakers. Other then that, I think that most maps are made for flanking which favor reaper and symmetra players. 

I'm not a fan of oneshot mechanics and sadly a Widow peeking through a tiny slit somewhere that hits your trucksized hitbox for 300 damage isn't going to win any favour from me.

You say you don't know exact statistics then say Widowmaker players are hardly picked? I'd argue the opposite completely. A Widow contributes in a teamfight by oneshotting the healers and dps before/in a fight and creating room to push. The competitive meta as it stands now is typically a reinhardt/mercy/lucio support, two McCree and a flex pick, usually a Widow, sometimes a soldier. I see Widowmakers in at least 70% of my games.

Reaper is pretty bad at high level since he's easy to shutdown (due to teams running two McCree). Flanking maps favour Symmetra in that she can put turrets on the flank to cover her team, which is what you meant I assume? Either way, if you have a Symmetra I'd argue you're going to be missing quite a bit of damage in a slot that could be taken by a soldier or a McCree

All of this is under the assumption that we're talking about serious premade games at a high level of play. From my experience in pubs and in scrims, that's how I see things as they stand. It's purely theory on my part and I appreciate some people have experienced things differently. Also my words are probably tainted from the vast amount of sodium I generate whenever I die and realise it's because they could see me through the wall, thereby negating all flanking or tactics. Q_Q

Edited by Tiny

Wasn't Mccree nerfed to the floor recently?(or is to get nerfed). Either way I understand where you are coming from, i'm no way near any high level players that's why I see reapers and symmetras dominating my games. I used to main reaper but i changed to roadhog as i couldn't contribute enough in big fights. We never had a lucio or mercy so that's why reapers were predominant as they can heal from kills.

And not a single widowmaker player on the opponent or my team really made a difference. Looking at the competitive tournaments at the moment, hardly any widowmaker picks.

Guess we watched different tournaments then!

McCree hasn't been nerfed but according to a blizz tease hopefully  he will be soon. To clarify, I don't think Widow is OP, I do think she needs a slight change to her fire rate. 

Either way, awesome game. I hope new skins are out soon, I'm sat on 1k current itching to spend it, resisting until they release new stuff :x

As much as i hate her accent, Tracer is beginning to grow on me.
I was never a big fan of the scout class but using her with a bit more of a stealth approach is a lot of fun.