Danny

Civilization 5

Civilization 5

We're playing it differently for the first time, so hopefully it's FIIINEEEE. People can say if they don't like it or not. I don't want to enforce people to play CIV a different way. It's just for the sake of balance and a all round more fun time for everyone involved. Sorry if it seems, 'Too much'

What is Civilization 5?

Since I'm Lazy, here's what Wikipedia says: In Civilization V, the player leads a civilization from prehistoric times into the future on a procedurally generated map, achieving one of a number of different victory conditions through research, exploration, diplomacy, expansion, economic development, government and military conquest. The game is based on an entirely new game engine with hexagonal tiles instead of the square tiles of earlier games in the series. Many elements from Civilization IV and its expansion packs have been removed or changed, such as religion and espionage (although these were reintroduced in its subsequent expansions). The combat system has been overhauled, removing stacking of military units and enabling cities to defend themselves by firing directly on nearby enemies. In addition, the maps contain computer-controlled city-states as non-player characters that are available for trade, diplomacy and conquest. A civilization's borders also expand one tile at a time, favoring more productive tiles, and roads now have a maintenance cost, making them much less common. The game features community, modding, and multiplayer elements. It is available for download on Steam. - IT'S A TURN BASED STRATEGY GAME.

Flithy Robot is a well known Civilization V player who has a lot of guides.

This is one of his videos explaining why and where he puts Civilization in his tier list (Basically a ranking system for the CIV's, 1 being the best and 6 being the worst)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JeBsZg2EQAwaPL77nCW4EFrC62jRxNxT7vZoB0GKASs/edit#gid=1479810818

How are we playing Civilization 5? THE IMPORTANT PART

We are play with ALL DLC, without the DLC the game isn't worth playing. Sorry not sorry.

We're also planning on playing with the No Quitters balance mods and maps, which make the game play far more balanced. We're also going to be using the rule set they use and how to pick Civilizations, instead of banning top tier Civs which is what we're currently doing and it seems silly. In before someone says, WE CAN'T PLAY MULTIPLAYER WITH MODS, it's not a proper mod. It actually counts as DLC which EVERYONE will need to download. Unless the game will crash after 1 or 2 turns.

The ideal amount of people is Six, it's perfect for a mix of a faster game and is what these rules and everything is really made for. We'll play anything from 1-12 players, anything above 12 players would be utter chaos.

Download Links for the maps and Mods can be found here with the guides on how to install them, It takes about 5 minutes if you're not TheJamesG.. <3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkemw7pt77sj1lb/HellBlazersMapsPackv5.2.msi?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4rr89ie947g05lj/%5BDLC%20-%20SP%20and%20MP%5D%20NQMod%20v9.0.zip?dl=0

It also includes the change list to the Civ's, like for example they've made it now that the Free Great Scientist now arrives at Philosophy (instead of Writing). For Babylon. So they can't get premier units a lot faster and destroy early-mid game.

The Picking and Banning Phase

The picking and banning phase will work out like this. Everyone will choose 2 CIVs to ban each, so if there's six of us that's 12 CIV bans. If there's more of us we'll have to figure something out.

Then using this site http://georgeskleres.com/civ5/ which I would then cross out any Civs which people have choosen to ban, then I'll generate 3 random Civs for every player out of the remaining Civs in the game. Venice is automatically banned in every game. You have to pick one of these 3 Civs. Then the game will start.

We also all play on KING difficulty, this is subject to change as it is rather low. However, this is the lowest we can go as this is when AI's have some sort of idea how to fight and actually somewhat structure their army right.

What are the rules, and why? THIS THE THE OTHER IMPORTANT PART

These are the rules we intend on playing with, of course if someone breaks them they can be easily forgiven and fix the situation.

General game rules for Civ V

No leaving a game, unless:

You lost your capital city

All players agree your civ is irrelevant to the development of the game

All players agree the game is over

Real life issue comes up (frequent users of this rule will be monitored)

Only play when you have enough time, six man games usually last more than 6-7hours

Diplomacy and World Council :

Trading and allying is allowed with human players. No trading or diplomacy with AI, except for peacemaking.

No city trading except in peace dealings.

Warfare:

Shift-moves are not allowed.

General code of Conduct:

All players should be respectful and display good sportsmanship, abusive players will be kicked.

Suicide on purpose or staying in game without actually playing is considered worse than quitting.

Collusion or predetermined team play is not allowed. - You can't go into a game and plan on teaming with someone from Turn 1, You could team up vs the strongest player but predetermined team play is ruining the game.

NAPS lasting more than 30 turns are teaming

Playing not to win to help another player win is teaming

Getting unfair help is not allowed.

Abusing city states for training units, pillaging and repairing tiles, and making peace every turn while conquering are not allowed.

Worker stealing is allowed

Scholars in residence are not allowed

Interfaith Dialogue is not allowed

Repairing opponent’s tiles are not allowed.

A player can only vote for him/her self world leader.

Moving initial settler for more than 3 turns are not allowed

WHY?!

For the sake of balance. :D It also stops people from getting unfair advantages by using cheese techniques like getting free XP off City-states..

We're going to use the NQ balance mods because it makes all trees viable, instead of going tradition or liberty. Going Honour or Piety was very enviable and suicide. That means Conor can go Piety now and hopefully not have a 8 pop capital with catapults when I have Riflemen and artillery :D It also makes some less tier CIVs a lot more viable and some really OP Civs abit less OP. The banning system will also stop people getting the best Civs so either way no one will be getting Persia or Poland.

If I missed anything just reply and if you've got any questions/inquires just ask in the comments.

If you're also wanting to play just ask and I might make a list on here with everyone's name, it would help when we're trying to get a game going and we don't know people who play CIV.

I'll start the list here, with the people I currently have played CIV 5 with so far:

- DannyS

- Unseen

- Pepe The Frog

- IrishChimp

- Sir Conor

- Rory

- Eagle

- Four20

- Veng3nce

Edited by Guest

Getting addicted to this game, it's incredible.

Decided to do a huge map starting within the ancient era just to show me everything, I could probably get a science victory pretty soon but it was too fun wiping Germany off the face of the planet and completely taking over South America.

Got a new sub reddit to binge on too, success.

Get this game.

Will be running a NQ tonight at 7pm-ish, open to anyone who has all of the DLCs and NQ mods (map and mod) installed.

As we want to get started quickly; if you want to play have your own side setup and checked before we start (ask if you need help during day) - if there are any issues they should only be down to Civ5 MP hosting, not down to people not getting their own files sorted properly. Without wanting to be cruel, we will leave people behind who are delaying because they clearly haven't tried to sort out their shit beforehand.

Also, as this is proper NQ rules you should be prepared to play it through. This means that, unless you are completely inconsequential to the game and everyone agrees as such, you cannot quit partway.

I know quite a few people are in for this already and we will be open to all skill levels, but because it's an actual NQ game then there will be less of the 'let him go cus he's new' than usual (with exceptions to Rory bitchin' on Fluxy in 62 turns).

Edit: The reason it wasn't working last night is due to us using different versions. To prevent confusion and because the slightly older versions work at our level, the thread now has 2 dropboxes with the versions I am using. They are also here:

- Map Pack Installer

- NQ Mod v9.0

This should make it easier for those who struggled navigating the document previously and also prevent the different version confusion etc. Ask me if you need help.

Edit2: If anyone has any issues with the Map Installer, here is a link to the map folder HB Map Packs

Edited by Guest

Tbh Rory crushing me so early made me kinda sad :( I was just getting into that game. I will 100% play civ, it's great. But I dunno about mods though, and I can only really do weekdays cause I can't play long on the weekends

Just a side note for everyone, we usually do these type of games On Fridays/Saturdays typically around 6-7pm and try to finish the game the following day if it didn't end on the day.

Also, Chris is banned. Fuck Chris. AKA Squad Leader.

Edit : I can't stop you from playing CIV you arse. =| (It's a joke) (Do gingers get sarcasm?)

Edited by Guest

Just a side note for everyone, we usually do these type of games On Fridays/Saturdays typically around 6-7pm and try to finish the game the following day if it didn't end on the day.

Also, Chris is banned. Fuck Chris. AKA Squad Leader.

wtf why?

(Do gingers get sarcasm?)

I think it's more due to his lower intellect and inability to pass his SATs...

I'm kinda the opposite of Fluxy in being able to play as much on weekdays :/ (unless we start earlier), but I'm sure we can get some more games rolling. Nice to see so many people playing it now (and so many people getting better at the game). It's actually becoming somewhat competitive (maybe I'll be able to actually use sweaty individual Civilization strats soon lele) rather than the domination fuckfest OB games always used to be. Might try get a team game going later this week, 3v3 or something could be fun.

Team games are brilliant since everyone shares the tech you research so it speeds it up a bit. Quite nice if you aren't really wanting to sit for 9 hours playing the same game, I'd be up for joining a team game of Civ if there was space :).

Team games are brilliant since everyone shares the tech you research so it speeds it up a bit. Quite nice if you aren't really wanting to sit for 9 hours playing the same game, I'd be up for joining a team game of Civ if there was space xD.

same here i'd totally be up for that! <3

The only problem with team games is that are we going to sit in separate rooms? Cause that doesn't seem too fun, but then we have to type to each other constantly which would be annoying. :x Maybe lets the teams talk first what they're doing then get everyone in? Idk. :D