Sign in to follow this  
Dyer51

A Short History of Dyer

Hi,

I'm Dyer, and a lot of you probably don't know me. Those who do, I'm fully prepared for the how long are you back this time jokes. ;)

I'm 23, at university studying linguistics and in my spare time spend too much time gaming. I play all sorts but recently have been playing a lot of Paradoxes grand strategy titles (CK2, V2 etc).

Recently, I had a case of nostalgia and thought of you guys, so here I am again. :D

TL;DR for the below - I've ended up giving my history of involvement in this community. I've been around a long time and seen a lot of changes.

I've been a member (in some way) of this community for a long time, going back to the community that existed before Outbreak, called VooDoo. I was an admin in VooDoo where I met people like Biggles (I think we started playing at roughly the same time). This community ultimately died, and we all went separate ways. McLovin (who also owned VooDoo along with Kriss) went on to ultimately form Outbreak. After a while I joined for the first time, in the glorious days before trials existed (can't remember how I heard about it). Joined early 2012ish (I think).

I played for a while. Became admin again. I ultimately left when I had a job, and admining the late night server became a bigger job than my actual work. Dealing with petty arguments is tedious especially when people can't read simply rules. This must have been in about mid 2012.

I joined Outbreak again around early 2014. A lot of the old faces I knew from the first time I joined OB had gone. Some of you I know now (that are still here) had join in between these points, with Conor being one of them (I think). A lot of the people I got to know from this point are gone again, sadly. I stayed until about September 2014, and I left when I started university. I intended to stay, but the new server wouldn't run on my laptop.

Which brings us to now. I tried the server (yesterday actually) and found that it worked and I thought to myself I might as well come back. I have many good memories of this community, and have seen many changes. I've seen old faces leave (many people from VooDoo never joined Outbreak) and new people join.

At the risk of sounding cheesy, the only gaming community I've ever been part of have been associated with this community, and I think in part that has been to do with the people in it. I hope in time to apply for member again and to hopefully actually stay part this time, but the future is unpredictable. But regardless of whatever happens, if I end up leaving again, I'd imagine I'll end up finding my way back eventually.

Edited by Guest