Paradoxxx

An introduction to Mafia

Came on in 2015, got told I look like a twat.

Decide to wait a year until I went back on.

It was my first time playing mafia.

Best game ever.

I really enjoyed it

Thanks to everyone involved thunder and para for introducing this game.

Would recommend anyone to try this, even if you have to beg parents to stay up and recieve abuse in morning.

11/10 best game ever.

A mafia is a type of organized crime syndicate whose primary activities are protection racketeering, the arbitration of disputes between criminals, and the organizing and oversight of illegal agreements and transactions.[1] Secondary activities may be practiced such as gambling, loan sharking, drug-trafficking, and fraud.

The term was originally applied to the Sicilian Mafia, but has since expanded to encompass other organizations of similar methods and purpose, e.g., "the Russian Mafia" or "the Japanese Mafia". The term is applied informally by the press and public; the criminal organizations themselves have their own terms (e.g., the original Sicilian and Italian-American Mafia call themselves Cosa Nostra, the Mexican Mafia calls itself La Eme, the Japanese Mafia Yakuza, the Chinese Mafia Triad and the Russian Mafia Bratva).

When used alone and without any qualifier, "Mafia" or "the Mafia" typically refers to either the Sicilian Mafia or the Italian-American Mafia, and sometimes Italian organized crime in general.

Discussed with Paradox potential new roles:

New Category :)

Neutral

Traitor: The Traitor has 1 guess, if he doesn't guess a mafia role, he dies.

If he guesses who the mafia is he becomes one of them.

Prostitute (wish it wasn't called this): The prostitute picks someone to "seduce" at night and role blocks that person.

E.g: So if Blyss was the prostitute and seduced Thunder who was the detective, in the morning he will be poked "You've been roleblocked!" and will not know what the person is that he detected.

The prostitute is trying to win with town.

Will add to my previous post :)

We need roles that are not part of Mafia/Town, like Arsonist or Serial Killer.

Serial Killer

Arsonist

They win if they are the last one alive and I think if SK is too OP we should definitely try Arsonist as they are not successful most of the time.

Would be fun to try them out since we play so much.

We need roles that are not part of Mafia/Town, like Arsonist or Serial Killer.

Serial Killer

Arsonist

They win if they are the last one alive and I think if SK is too OP we should definitely try Arsonist as they are not successful most of the time.

Would be fun to try them out since we play so much.

I like new roles, but Idk how i feel towards having a third party :/

I think its going to be very fun for the person who gets it, but in the grand view of things it makes it really hard for the rest of town.

We can try it a few times and see how it goes

I used to play a tonne of Town of Salem and 3rd party roles can add a lot.

My favourite (and the one I think we should introduce) is Jester.

Their goal is to get voted off, possibly by pretending they're Mafia. If the Jester gets lynched then the next night he can select 1 person who voted against him to die.

This role adds so much more thought to lynching people as there's always the risk that you're getting baited and lynching the Jester.

If I've explained this poorly here's the ToS wiki page for it.

http://town-of-salem.wikia.com/wiki/Jester

I used to play a tonne of Town of Salem and 3rd party roles can add a lot.

My favourite (and the one I think we should introduce) is Jester.

Their goal is to get voted off, possibly by pretending they're Mafia. If the Jester gets lynched then the next night he can select 1 person who voted against him to die.

This role adds so much more thought to lynching people as there's always the risk that you're getting baited and lynching the Jester.

If I've explained this poorly here's the ToS wiki page for it.

http://town-of-salem.wikia.com/wiki/Jester

Yh, that's where i get my roles from, the jester though i don't think could be implemented into mafia. Would complicate the cameras, because if he does get voted off you would have to change night rotations :D

Town of Salem is a pretty fun game though :)

Yh, that's where i get my roles from, the jester though i don't think could be implemented into mafia. Would complicate the cameras, because if he does get voted off you would have to change night rotations :D

Could the Jester not just posthumously poke the Moderator with the name of the person he/she wants dead?

Yeah it would be really easy to add Jester, especially since people are always voting inexperienced ones off, this time people will actually put some thought into their votes. Although the only problem i see with this is that the moderator would have to write down who votes yes and who voted no, unless you mean kill off one of the two nominators.

Reading whether people are lying or not can't be done in the way you think you're all doing it.

Playing the game 'mathematically' ruins it.

Requiring cameras is excluding people and just complicates the game.

Voting off inexperienced players ruins the game for them.

Mafia is a role playing game, not a competition.

tl;dr Chris doesn't agree with how we play even though he has no clue how we play.

Reading whether people are lying or not can't be done in the way you think you're all doing it.

What is the way you think we do it? Cause all I hear are presumptions from you on how we supposedly play it in your head? Maybe you would know how we play it if you payed attention to the game instead of trolling.

Playing the game 'mathematically' ruins it.

Playing the game mathematically doesn't ruin it, it simplifies it when theres nothing else to go on

It excludes people, but it also adds another dimension to the game which complicates it and is also very interesting.

Saying stuff and then just seeing the pure surprise on other people's faces can tell u enough.

Voting off inexperienced players ruins the game for them.

Voting off inexperienced players ruins the game for them but wins the game in the long haul

Mafia is a role playing game, not a competition.

The game part implies that you can win it, a lot of the games we play people tend to enjoy because they want to win. There's this tangible tension at the later stages of the game that people enjoy, without the motivation to want to win theres no such tension

This is just not true.

I feel I need to explain to you how we play Mafis before you make statements like this. The whole games is done through TinyChat + TeamSpeak. At nighttime everybody covers their faces (so they can't see TinyChat and the moderator wakes up all of the roles separately and ask them about their decisions. They can write it down on paper and hold it up to the camera or poke the moderator regarding who to kill, heal, investigate etc.

To elimate cameras is literally changing the whole game. The game as we play it is nothing without cameras and would actually be a lot more complicated.

As for your comment about it excluding people; I'd say (almost) everyone on OB has a smartphone with a camera and/or a webcam. Either can be used for the game so therefore the only people excluded are those who would rather not show their face and if so then that's their personal choice and their issue.

I'm well aware of your reputation for shit stirring and I have my doubts you'll even read this post but I suggest you do before making any more presumptions based on what you've seen in out of context comments on this thread.

Was just gonna ask.

The webbased version of Mafia doesn't use webcams as far as I can see. So wouldn't that suggest that Chris was correct in the fact you don't NEED a camera. I think he might be saying people shouldn't be told they can't play if they don't have one or don't want to use one.