SonyTwan

General Fitness/Health Thread

1 minute ago, SonyTwan said:

Depends on your goals, what do you want to achieve? 

just to have a good physique, not really sure. 6 pack for sure, so core i guess, but also want good upper body

Hello @Toby., papa mestan answer to your cry for help

would recommend going to a gym trainer or somebody you know to show you how to do the exercises before you start doing them, also youtube helps.

WARM UP YOUR WHOLE BODY ESPECIALLY YOUR LITTLE BACK

WORK YOUR FORM BEFORE YOU PUT HEAVY STACKS ON THE IRON STICK. 

Exercise    Sets    Reps

1. Monday

Exercise    Sets    Reps

A  Military press  5/3/1 (start off bigger reps for example 12/8/5)

B  Bench press 5 10

C  Chins 5 10

D  Curls 3 10

@@Triceps pushdowns 3 10

@@ Face pulls 3 10

@@  Curls 3 10

(@@) - optional, choose between doing one, two, or all (would recommend doing one monday and one thursday 

2. Tuesday 

Exercise    Sets    Reps

A    Deadlift   5/3/1 (start off bigger reps for example 12/8/5)

B    Squat    5    10

C    Ab wheel    5    10-20

3. Thursday

Exercise    Sets    Reps

A    Bench press    5/3/1 (start off bigger reps for example 12/8/5)

B    Press    5    10

C    DB rows    5    10

@@   Curls    3    10

@@   Triceps pushdowns    3    10

@@   Face pulls    3    10

(@@) - optional, choose between doing one, two, or all (would recommend doing one monday and one thursday 

4 Friday(best day for big man)

A    Squat    5/3/1 (but do 5/10 cuz ur noob)

B    Deadlift    5    10

C    Hanging leg raise    5    10

Why do dis men?

it is very simple noob, when you lift heavier your muscles become bigger and yourself become stronger. Also your back gets big and you start to look more like a man.

cardio is OK but wouldn't recommend to someone who is small, its a waste of time and energy.

LIFT HEAVY OR GO HOME PIZDA. 

schwarzenegger.jpg

Edited by Liutvi Mestan

@Liutvi Mestan That really helps, will definitely start using after my first few shifts at work. Might start out with like 2 days a week then up it to the 4 that you have given work outs for.

Cheers Luit

Edited by Toby.

12 hours ago, Toby. said:

just to have a good physique, not really sure. 6 pack for sure, so core i guess, but also want good upper body

When I joined my gym they gave me a full program on all the basic equipment, and asked me what I wanted and created a basic program like that. It might be the same if you join yours. I'm not sure you'll want to start out straight away with the heavy compound lifts (deadlift etc). I then started substituting the machines for free weights (shoulder press machine for OHP) which is how I did it, but idk about your gym so...

not trying to undermine Liutvi's advice, he'll know a world more than me, just that I didn't feel very confident to begin with.

Edited by Cereal

3 hours ago, Cereal said:

I'm not sure you'll want to start out straight away with the heavy compound lifts (deadlift etc). I then started substituting the machines for free weights (shoulder press machine for OHP) which is how I did it, but idk about your gym so...

machines are for bastards, use iron to work your core and form. 3-4 weeks to get you started and you're ready.

@Toby.  2 days a week is a waste of time. also don't be shy and ask people to help, show you stuff and spot you. people at the Iron Temple are nicer than you'd expect especially big bois

Okay, so through advice, after following the Lyle McDonald Generic Bulking Program for a few months, I've decided to switch again to a PPL 6 day program (push, pull, legs), just because I felt like I wasn't going to the gym often enough and getting the correct volume, as well as not training my back enough. This program should help with that (hopefully).

After a bit of searching I found this. The general idea is to have a push day where you're training your chest, triceps and shoulders, a pull day where you train your back and biceps, and a leg day. 

8e744f3e9f572f0ed74f972894c823cc.png

I adapted it to my abilities but didn't change it too much apart from substituting hammer curls for pull ups, and dumbbell incline for barbell incline bench press (all the barbell benches are always taken at my gym). I have been attempting deadlifts, but my form is really lacking, so I'm going to try and work on them separately on a really low weight <40kg, and hopefully end up incorporating them into Pull day, but for now I'm going to leave them. I also recently hit a 70kg squat and a 55kg bench (looking to get it to 60kg before June), and am going switching to 5 reps per set should increase my strength to build this up a little. I know these are baby weights, but I really feel like I'm getting into the swing of things, and enjoying weight training.

I just wanted to post this here for any feedback/help.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Cereal

18 minutes ago, Cereal said:

I have been attempting deadlifts, but my form is really lacking, so I'm going to try and work on them separately on a really low weight <40kg, and hopefully end up incorporating them into Pull day, but for now I'm going to leave them. I also recently hit a 70kg squat and a 55kg bench (looking to get it to 60kg before June)

what are you ? faking pussy??? 5 kg to JUNE?? why is it 3x5?? and why the hell your bench press is 45? are you taking a shit in ate the gym for 45 minutes or smth? what in Christ name is that on day C?!?!?

conclusion: this is faking shit program made from shit trainer to make you loose your time and take your money. KIDS STOP USING MACHINES PLEASE!!
THE MORE WEIGHT YOU LIFT THE MORE STRENGTH YOU HAVE = MORE MUSCLE.

Edited by Liutvi Mestan

29 minutes ago, Liutvi Mestan said:

what are you ? faking pussy??? 5 kg to JUNE?? why is it 3x5?? and why the hell your bench press is 45? are you taking a shit in ate the gym for 45 minutes or smth? what in Christ name is that on day C?!?!?

conclusion: this is faking shit program made from shit trainer to make you loose your time and take your money. KIDS STOP USING MACHINES PLEASE!!
THE MORE WEIGHT YOU LIFT THE MORE STRENGTH YOU HAVE = MORE MUSCLE.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833

Would you use 5x5 for my compound lifts?

Edited by Cereal

He's doing the main compounds so there's nothing wrong with using machines, just gotta get deadlifts down.
What about them are you struggling with? Record yourself from the side during a set perhaps.

I'd say the volume is adequate considering all the other exercises you're doing, be nice to get your deadlifts down to hit your hamstrings some more.
Definitely do your face pulls, your shoulders will thank you, I've had some time off and due to a lack of back work my shoulders have started bothering me, so gonna head off tonight and get back into it.

5 hours ago, Cereal said:

Okay, so through advice, after following the Lyle McDonald Generic Bulking Program for a few months, I've decided to switch again to a PPL 6 day program (push, pull, legs), just because I felt like I wasn't going to the gym often enough and getting the correct volume, as well as not training my back enough. This program should help with that (hopefully).

After a bit of searching I found this. The general idea is to have a push day where you're training your chest, triceps and shoulders, a pull day where you train your back and biceps, and a leg day. 

8e744f3e9f572f0ed74f972894c823cc.png

I adapted it to my abilities but didn't change it too much apart from substituting hammer curls for pull ups, and dumbbell incline for barbell incline bench press (all the barbell benches are always taken at my gym). I have been attempting deadlifts, but my form is really lacking, so I'm going to try and work on them separately on a really low weight <40kg, and hopefully end up incorporating them into Pull day, but for now I'm going to leave them. I also recently hit a 70kg squat and a 55kg bench (looking to get it to 60kg before June), and am going switching to 5 reps per set should increase my strength to build this up a little. I know these are baby weights, but I really feel like I'm getting into the swing of things, and enjoying weight training.

I just wanted to post this here for any feedback/help.

Thanks for reading.

Don't train legs and not do cardio. having a set cardio day will increase your endurance. more endurance = more gym 

3 hours ago, SonyTwan said:

He's doing the main compounds so there's nothing wrong with using machines, just gotta get deadlifts down.
What about them are you struggling with? Record yourself from the side during a set perhaps.

I struggle keeping my back neutral throughout the exercise, am I also told I'm lifting too much with the curve of my back to begin with (Making my spine not neutral) then lifting with my legs after. I'll try and get you video of my weedy self trying this next time I'm with a friend at the gym.

3 hours ago, ҉NuclearGamer said:

Don't train legs and not do cardio. having a set cardio day will increase your endurance. more endurance = more gym 

I'm going to start swimming after my exams as well as hopefully joining the Rugby team in 6th form college.

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

I struggle keeping my back neutral throughout the exercise, am I also told I'm lifting too much with the curve of my back to begin with (Making my spine not neutral) then lifting with my legs after. I'll try and get you video of my weedy self trying this next time I'm with a friend at the gym.

I'm going to start swimming after my exams as well as hopefully joining the Rugby team in 6th form college.

What really helped me with that is making sure you use your lats during the deadlift, imagine you're trying to bend the bar around your feet and pull it towards you, want the bar touching your legs during the entire lift. That and not starting with your hips too low. Then there's just the general stuff of keeping a tight core (take in more breath than you think you need), try and bring your chest out, etc.

Edited by SonyTwan

Dads Body:

7:30 am - Cup of coffee
9:30 am - Foot Long subway or Bacon Sausage and Egg washed down with cappuccino
10:30 am - Small snack such as Subway cookies/mars bar
12:30 pm - Sausage, chips and gravy (feel free to sub sausage for pudding or a pie)
2:30 pm - Small snack such as Subway cookies/mars bar
4:30 pm - Pint of choice, personally atm im drinking Iron Maiden’s Trooper beer 
5:00 pm - Iron Maiden’s Trooper beer
5:30 pm - Iron Maiden’s Trooper beer
6:00 pm - Iron Maiden’s Trooper beer
6:30 pm - Local take away, mine consists of Chinese, Kebab, Chiken Burger with Chips or a pizza washed down with a bottle a Tyske larger(large bottle)
7:00 pm - Another bottle on tyske
7:30 pm - Can of coke and sleep

Wake up and repeat. 

If you can keep up with this in the early stages, sub out 1/2 of the meals for another bottle of beer and the Dad bod will come pretty soon.