SonyTwan

General Fitness/Health Thread

Obviously I would recommend rowing as it is lyfe but I also like running and general circuit training. It's really fun and a good way to exercise and keep fit.

Climbing is good Skeff, if you do it a lot then it will definitely make you a lot fitter!

Reviving an old thread,
Does anyone work out at home by themselves without free weights?

Past few weeks been working on my upper body as I'm really skinny, and want to gain some muscle/mass. 
Started off with 3 sets of 20 wide arm pushups, 10 pullups, 10 knee raises (When hanging off the pullup bar), and 10 spiderman plank crunches on each side, which had my body aching the next day.
Anyways now around 2-3 weeks later, I'm doing 4 sets of 50 pushups, 20 pullups, 30 knee raises, and 30 spiderman plank crunches followed by a shake of whey protein. 

Starting to notice some changes, and it really does boost the ego. 
Gym is not a requirement for getting fit!

Your body will always ache the next day following an exercise your body hasn't adapted to.
If you're wanting to add mass, you're gonna need to add resistance to those bodyweight exercises, whether it be by doing harder variations, or weight in a rucksack/pull up belt.
Don't forget your diet also, eat big 2 get big fam, but not too much, or ur 2 big.

Gym is not a requirement, but doing big compound lifts is much more effective.

I'm back to it after my nagging shoulder problems, they still give me a bit of trouble, but now I'm properly stretching and looking after my rotator cuffs, it seems to be improving.
Able to bench without pain which was my previous issue, and going past my previous max.

Edited by SonyTwan

In fairness, I do lack resistance in my exercises, and I probably should start working out with books in a bag, And in relation to diet, Yeah since my weight is only around 65-70kg I try to eat as many times a day as possible, because my metabolism is really fast, which sucks in terms of gaining weight...

Metabolism is hardly ever a serious issue and people use it as a crutch.
I used to think the same, that I ate loads (because I ate like shit), but when you break it down into calories, you're not eating anywhere near as much as you think.
In cases that actually effect the metabolism much more in terms of some kind of illness, it only makes about a 300 calorie difference, which is a small bowl of nuts.

I'm 6ft 2 and have to eat like 3200 calories just to bulk up and I still look tiny lol.
Try out myfitnesspal for a bit and log everything you eat.

Probably get roasted for posting in this thread but whatever.

Joined my gym in mid December of last year because I wasn't really happy with the shape of my body or my level of fitness. I started out by doing mostly cardio, but realized it wasn't helping me grow in the way I wanted to, so I slowly reduced the amount of cardio I was doing until I completely cut it out, I still play rugby in my free time which is hopefully enough cardio. I've looked at a couple of different programs, starting out with the one the gym recommended me, then doing a full body beginners one I found online, and then I started doing a 4 day upper lower split (https://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=1696), and adapted it to add more shoulders and removing deadlifts because I'm a bit of a pussy. 

dcc036db40fac8bc8be3cb3f34a4ccf8.png

(I know this might not make sense but it's not really for you lol)

As time has gone by I realized that I wasn't really into the bodybuilder's physique, and have been looking at body weight exercises because I prefer the physique, so I'm going to slowly start substituting weight exercises for body weight ones, starting by completely swapping curls for chin ups, and tricep dips for extensions.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. xxx

Don't judge me I'm weak and small.

Edited by Cereal

hello again
taking a little time off due to a reoccurring injury in my tricep tendon which is making my upper body lifts suffer
lower body going well though, left my squat working sets at 105kg, 3 sets of 6
also i gotta do more cardio for my dancing

cereal deadlifts are absolutely the most fun i have in the gym, just take your time with the technique
you really need some hamstring work in there, you have a lot of volume with your quads and pretty much nothing for your hamstrings which will lead to some imbalances that'll fuck with your knees, deadlifts also great for your hamstrings, but i'd do some hamstring curls as well.

chins and dips (which can also be used to develop your chest) are great but i would keep some resistance exercises in there, especially for your lower body.
i wouldn't get too hung up on physique types and just go with whatever you find most fun, just remember that about 80% of the people profiting from the fitness industry (statistic i've pulled out of my arse) are on some kind of PEDs, you're not gonna look like phil heath don't worry lol

nice basic deadlift technique vid

how's things going for you @Lewis?

Edited by SonyTwan

I started going gym about a 2 weeks ago, ill come back to this thread in 4 months and give you guys an update....

It's all about diet and supplements.

When I'm having a glass of anything, be it wine, beer, vodka, whatever, I always make sure to be smoking a cigarette whilst I do this. Smoking improves concentration, ups your heartbeat so the alcohol moves through your body quicker, as well as combines with the alcohol to give a nice head rush if you're doing it right.

I'm not ashamed to admit that, on occasions, I have gone for a tactical chunder. Yes, you lose alcohol, but it's one step backwards and two steps forwards long-term.

In the morning, to ease the ache from my night's session, I drink two strong coffees back to back, again with cigarettes to get the caffeine flowing through my system faster. I usually have a sausage roll or a bacon sandwich for lunch, as greens do not serve me any benefit at this point in my training cycle.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

In the meantime, I'd like it if @Fluxy and @Jak could pitch in with their own pointers on how to be at your physical best.

EDIT: @Liutvi Mestan I would like to see your particular approach, as you blend both the normal, predictable 'go-to-the-gym' bullshit with Fluxy's, Jak's and my technique.

Edited by VENGA BUS