SonyTwan

General Fitness/Health Thread

1 minute ago, gaffeR said:

For gains you need to drink 6 pints of larger per night or you will get no where at the gym, if you can drink Guinness you are on to a winner due to the iron content which helps you stay harder for longer.

larger what?

I actually still run Canditos linear programme lol
he's a cool dude, back to making videos

Going pretty well, moved to a new gym that's closer, hardly anyone ever there in the evenings.
Knee has been giving me a little trouble on squats cos I've been struggling to keep them out when things get heavy, i use a band around my knees while im warming up now to cue me pushing out which has helped

1 hour ago, Rory said:

Thoughts on creatine? 

I know a lot of people that take it and it hasn't fucked any of them up. Main caution I've heard in relation to it is not taking it while you're still growing but that shouldn't be an issue for you seeing as you're a geezer.

@Cereal good going man, mind if I ask what height and weight you are?

I've been casually going to the gym for around six weeks but I've only really gone once per week since school started. It's hard to find time between rugby, a very high work-load and the girl. I should really try head down in the evening during the week. My scrawny arse (5 ft 10, 66.5kg) is currently benching 50kg max honor, haven't tried deadlifting out of fear of getting it wrong and fucking up by back, and I also haven't really pushed myself with squats because I'm mainly working on upper body.

7 hours ago, Rory said:

Not sure if this is a srs thread anymore but I started going to the gym around a month ago and have been 3-4 times a week since then. Kinda addicted.

Thoughts on creatine? 

For real I know loads of people taking that and most of them have been getting some result but I wouldn't recommend it to you because you will lose your muscles so fast when you stop using creatine or stop training and you Rory might have the motivation right now but if you were to take a break or something you would see negative result quite fast

23 hours ago, SonyTwan said:

I actually still run Canditos linear programme lol
he's a cool dude, back to making videos

I have just been doing what I feel like so I decided to start that today. What do you typically do for your optional exercises? Preferably looking for simple ones that don't involve complicated form as I'd rather do something safe and simple than be the most efficient and risk injury.

11 hours ago, IrishChamp said:

I have just been doing what I feel like so I decided to start that today. What do you typically do for your optional exercises? Preferably looking for simple ones that don't involve complicated form as I'd rather do something safe and simple than be the most efficient and risk injury.

I'm doing: Tricep Pushdowns, Lateral Raises, Face Pulls, and Barbell Curls for upper body, and Leg Press, sometimes front squats, and leg extensions for lower, all of those are super basic and easy to do.

21 hours ago, IrishChamp said:

Leg press, hamstring curl, ab rollouts for lower
Dumbbell curls, tricep pushdowns with straight bar attachment, facepulls for upper

Pretty standard, definitely do something for your rotator cuffs like facepulls if you're doing a lot of pressing, keep your shoulders healthy.
Do dumbbell rows for my horizontal row, lat pull downs for vertical (gonna start doing banded chins soon though), overhead press for my shoulder slot.

I actually fucking love this thread. I'm very motivated and have gone to the gym 3 out of the last 4 days. I realised I was getting home and sitting around for over an hour, maybe watching an hour long episode of some TV series while I waited for dinner.

Going to the gym (which is like a 10 minute walk from my house) is so much more rewarding and I'm feeling better in general.

@Cereal @SonyTwan thanks so much for the advice bois. I've done my first heavy upper and lower days. 

Lower day was the squats and deadlift both at 50kg. (I've been neglecting lower body and been really lazy at the gym before now) Optionals I chose were Leg press at 60kg and some lateral raises.

Upper day was bench @35kg (he recommended 75% to 80% of 1 honor max), dumbbell rows @20kg and seated shoulder press @12.5kg. Last pulldowns for my second upper back and my two Optionals were barbell curls and tricep push downs.

Tbh I've put the weights in despite them being embarrassingly low so I can look back at this post in the future to see how much I've progressed. If you have any recommendations for change before I get set into my pattern I'm more than welcome to hear them. Please tell me what I should take out of you're going to tell me to include something.