SonyTwan

General Fitness/Health Thread

@Cereal Don't do 3x5 / 5x5 if you want to grow in size, i'd recommend sticking in 8-12 r e p range for that.

What helps while doing your deadlifts: Engage your core ---> squeeze your abs as hard as possible, push your chest out and your shoulders back, try to keep your head aligned with your spine, fully go up and squeeze your ass and abs, push from legs, vary your grips, take off your shoes(helps me), of course keep your spine neutral, breath in at the bottom ---> hold while going up --> blow out near top. Most important part is controlling your negative, keep that in mind. Goodluck

Also, free weight > machines. Beginner or experience, doesn't matter. Try not to do more than 1/4 - 1/5 of your lifts on machines.

Edited by Oldmike

Just now, Oldmike said:

@Cereal Don't do 3x5 / 5x5 if you want to grow in size, i'd recommend sticking in 8-12 honor range for that.

What helps while doing your deadlifts: Engage your core ---> squeeze your abs as hard as possible, push your chest out and your shoulders back, try to keep your head aligned with your spine, fully go up and squeeze your ass and abs, push from legs, vary your grips, take off your shoes(helps me), of course keep your spine neutral, breath in at the bottom ---> hold while going up --> blow out near top. Most important part is controlling your negative, keep that in mind. Goodluck

I'm doing 5x5 for my compound lifts as I'd like to improve strength overall. I'll make sure to follow the steps you say, I've tried it with my shoes off, but personally I find it easier with them on as I don't struggle getting low enough to get the bar. Are the things you suggested general or based on the video?

Well with you using 40kg plates you have to go down much lower which isn't optimal, your hips should be higher than your legs and you don't want to lean too forward over the bar. It should be going straight up, not curving around your legs. Typically I have the bar around mid-foot, slightly turn my feet out, and push my hips back as far as I can to get my hamstrings nice and tight until my ankles touch the bar. Engage my core, twist my hands to keep my lats tight/pull the bar towards me, and don't initiate the pull until my shoulders are directly over the bar.

If you're gonna lower it controlled, you wanna do the opposite of what you do to pick it up.
Lean back at the hips first until the bar gets past to your knees, then bend at the legs more.
Bar path should be more or less vertical (as best you can), don't want it sliding down your knees at a funny angle.

Looking pretty clean otherwise, I'm no expert though.

Don't really exercise or care to start but found this on reddit and thought it would probably belong here. It also looks like there's minimal equipment involved so would be a good way to start cheap I guess.

4LeMVAW.jpg

Daily report:

1/2 a big posh sainsburys pizza to load up carbs for training

2x pint of Brakspear Gold, for iron and nutrients 

2x pint of Pride of Pendle, again for iron and nutrients

1x bottle of claret for sugars

Any tips how to improve my iron intake would be appreciated! 

Cheers!

Started this 6 week program, hoping to hit an 100kg squat, a 70kg bench press and an 100kg deadlift by the end of it:

http://www.canditotraininghq.com/app/download/911765404/Candito+6+Week+Strength+Program.pdf

I'm currently 2 weeks in and hit my 2 plate (100kg) deadlift.

How's the gym going for everyone else? @Brandon @Pasickle @SonyTwan